Great Wall Street Journal Article lauds the Big Ten

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
This article breaks down the Big Ten's impressive Bowl play this season, and shatters the myth of SEC superiority citing a 13-11 Big Ten record against the SEC in the upper tier Capital One and Outback bowls.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704876104574633063888329876.html

Next year the Big Ten dominates the college football scene. I predict a National Title for Ohio State, 5 ranked teams at the end of the year and a second consecutive year with 2 BCS wins. Now here's hoping the Gophers can become one of those ranked teams.

That article hits home the points you will NEVER see on ESPN.

I really don't think ESPN's bias against the Big 10 is intentional. I really think they just run with the latest trends and their is a national perception that the Big 10 has been terrible.

If ESPN was bias, you'd think their bias would be WITH the Big 10. ABC and ESPN have the contracts for the Big 10 and CBS has the contracts for the SEC, so ESPN would actually make more money with a stronger Big 10.

I really don't think ESPN's bias against the Big 10 is intentional. I really think they just run with the latest trends and their is a national perception that the Big 10 has been terrible.

If ESPN was bias, you'd think their bias would be WITH the Big 10. ABC and ESPN have the contracts for the Big 10 and CBS has the contracts for the SEC, so ESPN would actually make more money with a stronger Big 10.

Incorrect. The SEC is tied into ESPN directly and I think you could argue that it plays a part (not all) in their "opinions"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3553033

Also- the new College Gameday intro/lead in has been released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

Oh ok, I stand corrected. However, it really seems like they would still make more money off of the Big 10. ESPN only gets the games that are not on the network (CBS).

ESPN/ABC is getting all of the Big 10 games.

I don't know, I could be wrong, but I guess I don't see an incentive for ESPN to talk down the Big 10.

Oh ok, I stand corrected. However, it really seems like they would still make more money off of the Big 10. ESPN only gets the games that are not on the network (CBS).

ESPN/ABC is getting all of the Big 10 games.

I don't know, I could be wrong, but I guess I don't see an incentive for ESPN to talk down the Big 10.

Actually, they'll make more money of the SEC because they broadcast more SEC games then Big Ten games. It's why the paid so much (15 years, 2.25 billion dollars) to get the contract. CBS gets first pick for their game, but its only a single game each week. Every other SEC game ends up on ESPN. If its a cruddy game, it still ends up on ESPN Regional which took over games that Raycom used to broadcast. That means the SEC has even more penetration in the nationally for their lower level games then BTN offers. This is where ESPN gets to make more money because those types of games in the Big Ten are carried on BTN.

Mandel did a nice job of breaking down the new deal this summer.

Heck, ESPN even went so far as to customize the logo that flashes up before replays to be SEC on ESPN (with the SEC being the dominant part of the logo).
119604.jpg

They also call their regional broadcasts The SEC Network (to give those games branding power against BTN).

Now I don't know whether any of this leads to the Big Ten getting talked down on ESPN. But ESPN has made their play and invested huge in the SEC. So to say there is more money to be made for them via the Big Ten really isn't correct.

Big Ten Network

The Big Ten Network also draws the ire of ESPN. The Big Ten is consistently the most marketable brand in collegiate sports by a long shot. That is why it can support its own network. Now that ESPN has a deal with the SEC it has a financial interest in bashing the Big Ten. My favorite moment of college football live today came when the moderator mentioned the Big Ten's impressive Bowl Season.

The look on Mark May's face=priceless

Reading this thread is the only thing that has ever made me want to cheer a certain big 10 team that is playing right now...

...I just can't do it.

It looks like there were three teams that Big Ten teams would not have been able to compete with this year, Florida, Texas, and Alabama. There are probably four Big Ten teams that were as good or better than any other teams in the country. Top to bottom the Big Ten was probably the best conference.

The problem is the Big Ten will probably be better next year. Minnesota could be much better with a worse record.

It looks like there were three teams that Big Ten teams would not have been able to compete with this year, Florida, Texas, and Alabama. There are probably four Big Ten teams that were as good or better than any other teams in the country. Top to bottom the Big Ten was probably the best conference.

The problem is the Big Ten will probably be better next year. Minnesota could be much better with a worse record.

After watching Ohio State dismantle Oregon's offense as Terrelle Pryor took the next step toward becoming Vince Young, I'd wager the Buckeye's could give Florida, Texas, or Alabama a run for their money. Ohio State's D might just be the best in the nation, and with TP passing well and running effortlessly the Buckeyes are absolutely scary.

Top Bottom