Great trip to Columbus

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a great experience attending a Gopher road game. If you have never hit the road for a Gopher road game, I highly recommend it.

I love a good road trip and I haven't been on one for a few years. My wife and 6th grader hit the road last Thursday night and returned on Sunday. When we reached cities like Chicago and Indy, we drove through the middle of them rather then skirt them to share the skylines with our son. That definitely caused a delay because we hit traffic in Chicago both coming and going. But, even with that it was about 12.5 hours on the road each way.

Columbus was a great town. We stayed downtown and had one great experience with their fans after another. It was 100% positive and the great conversations started when we arrived Friday in the hotel lobby... an older fella literally quizzed me on my knowledge of Gopher football - asking me to name old Gopher greats as he described them. I passed this test 100% and impressed my wife and kid in the process :) . That fun fan interaction carried through the game, where I was nearly tackled by an older fellow in the parking ramp - eager to help out with directions or anything else I needed. It reached its peak at the restaurant after the game. We arrived at Thurman's (famous burger joint in Columbus) where a younger gal pulled us aside to warn us that she, her boyfriend, and two of his grad school friends (all dressed in OSU gear and had been at the game) had already been waiting for 2.5 hours for a table. With that news my wife and I weren't sure if we wanted to put up with that kind of wait but we weren't sure so we figured we'd get a couple drinks and decide what to do. I was at the bar ordering the drinks when my wife came up and said that the gal she had been talking to got their table but came back to say there was plenty of room for us, and they invited us to join them! We felt a little silly, but agreed. I wasn't sure at first but it was a super experience and we ended up hanging out with them the whole night. Awesome people.

Ironically, the most unfriendly people we came across the whole weekend were Minnesotans at the Air Force museum in Dayton. We commented on their Gopher gear, mentioned we were headed to the game too, and got the cold shoulder in return. Oh well.

I came away from the game itself appreciating our own gameday atmosphere but also respecting the great OSU stadium/atmosphere. They obviously trump us when it comes to the size of the fan base and the stadium. It is tough to compete with 100,000 filled seats. However, the comforts of a new stadium like TCF are much better. The concourses on the C-deck at the horseshoe felt like I was an ant in a tunnel. Very tight and very closed.

When it comes to the work our cheerleaders and band performs... there is a lot to be proud of there. OSU just had a few male/female cheerleader pairs and that was about it. They didn't do much 'performing' either. For home gopher games, not only are there a lot more spirit squads, but the diverse things they do are quite impressive by comparison. Script Ohio is a wonderful tradition but overall the UofM band pregame looks more complicated and has its own tradition - forming the 'M' and then rotating it. The one big lesson that can be learned is the all-brass OSU band could clearly be heard all over the stadium. They were very loud. At TCF, I am seated right next to the student section and I really struggle to hear our band. I almost wish they'd give up that pit structure and sit on the open end of the stadium to see if they could be heard better. Woodwinds make for a better sound overall but all-brass does a better job of filling a stadium with sound that can be heard.

All in all, I wouldn't trade! But, if I were an OSU fan I wouldn't trade either. The experience is different, but not necessarily better either way.

As I drove back to the hotel after the game, I listened to OSU post game. It was sort of tough to listen to the way the announcers were blowing off the Gophers. They were concerned with the slow OSU start and said a lot of comments like "You can't let mediocre teams like this hang around that long." I was internally fretting over all the things people have been posting about here over the past couple days but the radio team in Columbus clearly didn't think much about the Gophers. I wouldn't have expected otherwise, I guess.

Anyway... just wanted to share the good experience. I am looking forward to attending an away game or two every year from here on out...

Sounds like a blast.

There is certainly something to be said about the mutual respect knowledgeable college football fans have for each other. I love talking with fans about their teams. DeltaHog is a great example of the universal football fan. Just show some respect and people will treat you kindly.

We'll see if this whole respect thing holds down in Iowa City. They aren't knowledgeable but they are awesome at having sex in public bathrooms. A fair trade off, I suppose.

What's funny about games in Iowa City is that I've run into a lot more awful Iowa fans when games have been at the dome than any at Kinnick.

Been to Iowa City 4 times and only had a bad experience with Iowa fans one of those years (2001).

Everybody should experience the Gophers on the road in the Big Ten, regardless of the expected outcome. I'm lucky to have watched the Gophers on the road against every Big Ten team.

Great summary, Schnauzer.

We had a group of 4 go down there. We all just recently graduated, so we still are into the whole partying it up scene and wow, their pregame was insane. beer gardens everywhere. and after the game, the bars stayed packed well into the nite. the horseshoe was crazy. one thing that i was suprised was actually how quiet the crowd was. it might of been because they were disinterested in playing an opponent like us or what, but it wasn't loud at all. also, they really don't have a student section which is wierd. but its crazy to be in a crowd of over 105,000. fans were also really nice. dunno if it was cuz they felt bad for us or what, but they were really suprised at our dedication of taking the 12 hour drive to get there.

Worse joke of the day that we heard at least 20 times: How do you like this weather? This probably feels like summer to you guys.

Nice summary.

Haven't made the past two trips to Columbus, but it's easily my second-favorite trip in the Big Ten. It's Penn State on a tier by itself, Ohio State on a tier by itself, then a significant drop to the rest of the conference.

We had a group of 4 go down there. We all just recently graduated, so we still are into the whole partying it up scene and wow, their pregame was insane. beer gardens everywhere. and after the game, the bars stayed packed well into the nite. the horseshoe was crazy. one thing that i was suprised was actually how quiet the crowd was. it might of been because they were disinterested in playing an opponent like us or what, but it wasn't loud at all. also, they really don't have a student section which is wierd. but its crazy to be in a crowd of over 105,000. fans were also really nice. dunno if it was cuz they felt bad for us or what, but they were really suprised at our dedication of taking the 12 hour drive to get there.

Worse joke of the day that we heard at least 20 times: How do you like this weather? This probably feels like summer to you guys.

If we wouldn't have had our kid along, I'm pretty sure we would have been there with you. The beer gardens looked very inviting but we opted for the skull session in St. John's Arena to share with our son. As it was, I actually had to slow myself down at Thurmans because the fans we were eating with started ordering shots (we even got a non-alcohol shot for our son) and the whole thing was approaching "shouldn't drive" levels prior to me pulling the plug on drinking for the night.

I came away with the impression the stadium was not as loud as usual. I think it was a combination of the fan base being snake-bit after the loss to Purdue, the weather, and the way the game went from snore-fest (from their perspective) to blowout in a nano-second.

Very cool. Sounds like a much better time in Columbus than I would have guessed. Of course the 'Man vs. Food' episode in Columbus changed my mind a bit (Thurman's was in there).

Good to see that there are quite a few of us willing to take it on the road for the Gophs. I've been doing a road trip to Gopher football games with 4 of my alum buds for the last 4 years. So far we've been to MSU, IU, Purdue, and Northwestern. We're attempting to do all 10 Big Ten road stadiums, We usually get down to the campus area on a Friday night, check out the local scene (okay, so not NU - there's nothing to do there - but plenty in Chi-town proper), think BTN 'Friday Night Tailgate' but much less lame.

Good to see that there are quite a few of us willing to take it on the road for the Gophs. I've been doing a road trip to Gopher football games with 4 of my alum buds for the last 4 years. So far we've been to MSU, IU, Purdue, and Northwestern. We're attempting to do all 10 Big Ten road stadiums, We usually get down to the campus area on a Friday night, check out the local scene (okay, so not NU - there's nothing to do there - but plenty in Chi-town proper), think BTN 'Friday Night Tailgate' but much less lame.

Other than Indiana, which I think is the most underrated road trip in the conference, you've hit the bottom rung of the Big Ten so far. PSU, OSU, Illinois, Michigan, Wisky and Iowa all have far more to offer.

Other than Indiana, which I think is the most underrated road trip in the conference, you've hit the bottom rung of the Big Ten so far. PSU, OSU, Illinois, Michigan, Wisky and Iowa all have far more to offer.

Yeah, IU was pretty fun. Nick's Pizza was a pretty cool place, and we 'sunk the Bismark' numerous times.

Purdue - blah. All though a late night dinner/breakfast at the Triple XXX was pretty delicious. That bar 'The Chocolate Shop' was so crowded it was impossible to even get beer. Not fun.

MSU - didn't have much time to check out the scene due the timing of our arrival. Hit up 'The Riv' after the game. Seemed like the MSU equivalent of 'Sally's

NU - nothing doing. Although the Blue Stone bar had decent bloody mary's and food when I was there before a basketball game in 2008.

I've been to Wisconsin for Gopher games 4 times, and each time was a bad loss, so I didn't really want to stick (particularly since I live and hour from Madison and can go down to State St. anytime).

Looking forward to Columbus in particular now.

Great recap, Schnauzer.

I've been to all Big Ten schools but MSU. Penn State is by far the best. I'd say Ohio State, Wisconsin and Michigan were next. Agree with the poster above that said Indiana was an underrated road trip.

The other thing I'd add is although I wasn't a very careful shopper (probably could have done better if I had worked on it), I was extra-happy with the hotel. Let's just say that Columbus is a lot cheaper city compared to Mpls. We stayed in a downtown hotel across the street from the state capital, in a corner suite (two huge rooms, with the bedroom on the corner - floor to ceiling windows, overlooking the river on one side and much of downtown on the other) for $125 per night. It was a massive room with an incredible view for that price. I thought restaurant/drink prices were very reasonable as well.

I'll probably go to Wisconsin next year (haven't been to a game there either) but I have a desire to go to more distant locations... perhaps MSU, Purdue, Illinois... hmmmmmm

I'll probably go to Wisconsin next year (haven't been to a game there either) but I have a desire to go to more distant locations... perhaps MSU, Purdue, Illinois... hmmmmmm

Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

I went to NW for a football last year. Overall pretty lame. Didn't seem like much was going on. Never really got on campus but I though Ryan Field had alot of potenial if NW is willing to put the money into.

I went to the Minnesota game this year with a bunch of friends, had a great time. I really like the only that Williams Marricci and TCF are all right there with McNamara a short walk away. Provides for a great atmosphere.

If anyone is planning on coming down to the Purdue game next year I highly suggest trying to get to West Lafayette by Thursday night and check out Bruce the Paino Man at the Neon Cactus. I know that isn't possible for everyone but I still highly suggest it.

As for Gopher Bandanna Guy great call on going to Triple XXX. I love the food there. Especially the Duane Pervis Burger, it has Peanut Butter on it and is crazy good. Also the rootbeer there is amazing. The Chocolate Shop you are thinking of is Harry's. You are right it can be super full but its a great place to hang out with friends and have a few drinks. If anyone plans on coming down to the Purdue game I would be more than happy to provide a more in depth of what to do in West Lafayette(closer to the game of course).

As for Gopher Bandanna Guy great call on going to Triple XXX. I love the food there. Especially the Duane Pervis Burger, it has Peanut Butter on it and is crazy good. Also the rootbeer there is amazing. The Chocolate Shop you are thinking of is Harry's. You are right it can be super full but its a great place to hang out with friends and have a few drinks. If anyone plans on coming down to the Purdue game I would be more than happy to provide a more in depth of what to do in West Lafayette(closer to the game of course).

Yeah! I had that Duane Pervis burger. Good stuff. I think my whole crew did except for one friend who had the Drew Brees, which as I recall was some sort of breakfast type thing. I'll have to try the root beer next time.

I'll check in with you if I make the trip down there next year...

What's funny about games in Iowa City is that I've run into a lot more awful Iowa fans when games have been at the dome than any at Kinnick.

Been to Iowa City 4 times and only had a bad experience with Iowa fans one of those years (2001).

Everybody should experience the Gophers on the road in the Big Ten, regardless of the expected outcome. I'm lucky to have watched the Gophers on the road against every Big Ten team.

Great summary, Schnauzer.

I've had the same experience regarding Hawkeye fans. Many more richards at the dome than at Kinnick.

Top Bottom