Great Job Gopher Fans

Has there been any estimate on the size of the Minnesota turnout.
I would say 15-20 thousand.

With an announced crowd of around 45,600 I would guess we were over 23,000 in maroon n gold.

We sit directly across the field from the band at The Bank, and we can barely hear them during the game. The band is a fun loving group of volunteers, but the university needs to address the poor quality of our marching band. They are bad at marching, mostly because they're always goofing around and the arrangements musically inept. They also need to nix the color guard, they are unnecessary and have been bad since the 80's. Say what you want about Bucky, but their band blows the doors off of ours. The AU band is incredible BTW.

Wow...Not sure what you are talking about. You sound mad and angry. Why? Our Marching Band is first rate...they held their own vs Auburn band. The Wisconsin band is not impressive...but maybe you play better when you've been drinking. I agree that th UM band needs to be 'louder'...maybe the other bands have larger groups of instruments that make them sound different (or better in your opinion). ...
Overall - I think you need an anti-depressant.

We sit directly across the field from the band at The Bank, and we can barely hear them during the game. The band is a fun loving group of volunteers, but the university needs to address the poor quality of our marching band. They are bad at marching, mostly because they're always goofing around and the arrangements musically inept. They also need to nix the color guard, they are unnecessary and have been bad since the 80's. Say what you want about Bucky, but their band blows the doors off of ours. The AU band is incredible BTW.
Becky’s band does blow as they “goose step” and look like a European opponent of the Allied Forces in the 1940’s or little rocket man’s ideal military parade (dictator/despot/rogue nation) class/style of marching band tricks. Personally, I don’t dig the way the neighbor Big Ten marching band to the East presents itself and am put off by their irritating style. Their overwhelmingly top heavy brass Is loud...if you are impressed with loud, I guess. They maybe like that in Wisconsin...but THIS is Minnesota. Nothing about stinking badger country does anything but blow awkwardly in the land of 10,000 lakes...we don’t want no stinking badger band blowhard talk on a GOPHER BAND loving GOPHERHOLE site..

At least this gopher fan is buying NO stinking badger music appreciation b s today...

Last edited:

It seemed like we were pretty loud while we were there, then we ran into some Auburn fans on Jan 2 and they approached us and said they couldn't believe how loud we were, especially the end of the Rouser. I was very proud getting that type of compliment from fans of a blue-blood.

As a former member of the marching band, this statement shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

As a former member of the marching band, this statement shows you have no idea what you are talking about.
I'm glad you're happy with the product. I appreciate it's not easy and requires a lot of dedication. I just wish the product was better.

I'm glad you're happy with the product. I appreciate it's not easy and requires a lot of dedication. I just wish the product was better.
There's a difference between saying "I want them to march better" and "They're bad at marching because they always goof around" . . .

Wow...Not sure what you are talking about. You sound mad and angry. Why? Our Marching Band is first rate...they held their own vs Auburn band. The Wisconsin band is not impressive...but maybe you play better when you've been drinking. I agree that th UM band needs to be 'louder'...maybe the other bands have larger groups of instruments that make them sound different (or better in your opinion). ...
Overall - I think you need an anti-depressant.
UMN band has woodwind instruments rather than all brass. It makes for a nuanced sound rather than a "tower of power" sound. Personally, give me more cowbell!!!

You should not rip the Color guard people that group like you said is volunteers and not exactly recruiting from the same pool of talent as other groups on campus.
Gopher band has not been funded by the Athletic department like Wisconsin and Auburn since at least the middle 1990's, strictly through the school of music. The AD put's very little money and resources towards the athletic bands at the University of Minnesota. You get what you pay for when it comes to amount of instructors and music selection, and arrangements and instrumentation. The people that do work with the band donate a lot of their time and efforts. Gopher band is huge but has a lot of woodwinds compared to the other groups you are comparing them too.

Woodwinds project less and produce less sound. Besides the stadium facility and such they the AD do not put a lot of effort in to funding the band. I kind of view our band more in the light of Stanford in that they are more fun group of college kids having a good time, and less rigid than Wisconsin. Like you said these are volunteers that beyond a few credits do not get much thanks or respect beyond what the current head coach has changed some of that.

There's a difference between saying "I want them to march better" and "They're bad at marching because they always goof around" . . .
Fair enough. In retrospect I should have been more tactful in expressing my frustrations with our marching band.

Gopher band has not been funded by the Athletic department like Wisconsin and Auburn since at least the middle 1990's, strictly through the school of music. The AD put's very little money and resources towards the athletic bands at the University of Minnesota.
Seriously? I had no idea. Frankly, I find that a little embarrassing at a school the size of MN. What if the school of music suddenly stopped funding it? I have to imagine there would be some negotiation with athletics, as you simply can't drop athletic bands at a huge B1G school.

Agreed that Auburn was fantastic, btw. I went to "Battle of the Bands" at Busch Gardens and they were really good. Loud and vibrant, really fun traditions, etc. Their flag corps (or whatever...half of them have batons, half have poms or AU flags) added a ton. That little hip shake thing was so funny and like straight out of the 60's. You could tell they were little southern belles who grew up dreaming of being in a college band, lol.

Top Bottom