Great GoAUpher blog on media's reaction to Coach Kill's seizures

Read Souhan's article from the post

and I could have swore I was reading a troll post from Pantherhawk, is it possible Souhan is Pantherhawk?

I thought it was an excellent break down especially about Souhan his article was just down right mean spirited and unnecessary.

GW - I tend to read a lot of your comments and not respond. You're particularly insightful on the basketball forum. I respect where you're coming from, and you've stated you respect (but disagree) with the opposing position.

I respect you, but in this case I think you are flat out wrong.

You have reached your quota.

The definition of naïve is:

1. unsophisticated; ingenuous.
2. having or showing a lack of experience; credulous.
3. having or marked by a style reflecting little or no formal training or technique.

Since you know nothing of Kill, nor his condition, I'd say all three of these definitions fit what you are trying to do. I can surf the web, too. Doesn't make either one of us a doctor.

I'll begin with an admission: I was mad as hell when it was announced that the University of Minnesota hired Jerry Kill as head football coach. The fact I was so upset is funny because I knew nothing about Kill. Not that I knew anything personally about other potential candidates but Kill lacked name recognition and thus this is why I was so unhappy with the hire at that time. I'll spare the whole Maturi got my expectations up so high that I set myself up for the eventual downer episode. I think like a lot of people, Coach Kill won me over in short order which makes my misplaced angst all the more ridiculous. But this previous angst over the hiring of a relatively unknown coach is spit in a rainstorm to how pissed off I am at ignorant idiots such as Souhan. It makes my blood boil that azzholes like him have such a public forum to spew their insensitive, ignorant opinions to the masses. Just think, wouldn't the world be such a better place if prick azzholes like Souhan could decide which jobs people with epilepsy, Tourette's syndrome, or (name your condition) decided for the rest of us what jobs we can and cannot do in life. Simply unbelievable any editor would allow his trash to see the light of day. A very sad reflection on what constitutes journalism these days.

I'll close my little tirade with a major F' you Souhan and everyone else who thinks like you do!

I'll begin with an admission: I was mad as hell when it was announced that the University of Minnesota hired Jerry Kill as head football coach. The fact I was so upset is funny because I knew nothing about Kill. Not that I knew anything personally about other potential candidates but Kill lacked name recognition and thus this is why I was so unhappy with the hire at that time. I'll spare the whole Maturi got my expectations up so high that I set myself up for the eventual downer episode. I think like a lot of people, Coach Kill won me over in short order which makes my misplaced angst all the more ridiculous. But this previous angst over the hiring of a relatively unknown coach is spit in a rainstorm to how pissed off I am at ignorant idiots such as Souhan. It makes my blood boil that azzholes like him have such a public forum to spew their insensitive, ignorant opinions to the masses. Just think, wouldn't the world be such a better place if prick azzholes like Souhan could decide which jobs people with epilepsy, Tourette's syndrome, or (name your condition) decided for the rest of us what jobs we can and cannot do in life. Simply unbelievable any editor would allow his trash to see the light of day. A very sad reflection on what constitutes journalism these days.

I'll close my little tirade with a major F' you Souhan and everyone else who thinks like you do!

MNGoldenGophers1, this post sums up my position 100%.

Great post

I react with greatest disgust to the "It looks bad when he has a seizure" argument.

Variations on this argument have been used countless times to marginalize the medically afflicted and the disabled.

Asking "What will the recruits think?" is the same thing as asking "What will the neighbors think?"

Well I can't do much better than that! Good post!

Look at the names of some people with epilepsy.

Vincent van Gogh
Sir Isaac Newton
Napoleon Bonaparte
Alexander the Great
Alfred Nobel
Michelangelo
Leonardo Da Vinci
Julius Caesar
Edgar Allen Poe
Aristotle
Theodore Roosevelt
Alfred the Great
Lewis Carrol
George Frederick Handel
Lewis Carrol
Pythagoras
Hannibal
James Madison
Lord Byron
Louis XIII of France
Martin Luther
Paul I of Russia
Peter Tchaikovsky
Peter the Great
Sir Walter Scott
Socrates
http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/epilepsy-famous.shtml

Agreeing more and more with you on this one in the sense I think it is a much bigger concern for Kill and the U than people want to admit.

I can only hope his doctors and the school have a very good handle on things behind the scenes and trust they will ultimately make the correct decisions.

Agreeing more and more with you on this one in the sense I think it is a much bigger concern for Kill and the U than people want to admit.

I can only hope his doctors and the school have a very good handle on things behind the scenes and trust they will ultimately make the correct decisions.

It's one thing to be concerned. It's another to write some of the things Souhan did. He could have delivered his message in a much better way. That's the biggest reason people are upset.

Here is the more refined version of the article that was posted this morning:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/...kill-seizure-gopher-football-gophers-football

Naive and detached from reality. Avoiding the issues.

Obviously the young man writing this is very emotional and it's clouding his critical thinking ability.

His heart is in the right place, but unfortunately his complaints are all over the place and are ignoring the real issues. Too all over the place to even respond to.

Here is the more refined version of the article that was posted this morning:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/...kill-seizure-gopher-football-gophers-football

"Pulling A Souhan

As I noted above, this is the place for all arguments that are made for the purpose of general dickishness. Congrats Jim, you get your own section. Why? Because you said Coach Kill is as good having seizures as he is at winning football games. Because you used your armchair MD knowledge to accuse everyone calling you out for your horrible column as cold heartless monsters who don't care about Jerry Kill. Because you suggested that people were ridiculing Coach Kill and the U for his seizure when the only person I can see who is doing anything close to that is you. Because you said Kill's seizures means he can't be a good face of the program of University. You are a hack Jim. You are a terrible columnist who can't take deserved criticism.

So be proud Jim. Because the people sharing this section with you are the Twitter trolls. The people who think it's funny to mock Coach Kill and make jokes about the seizures. The lowest of the low in the online sports community. The ones you would mock as living in their mother's basement. Those are your people Jim. I'm sure you're very proud.

Oh wait, was I supposed to rebut your dreck? Sorry, I don't have time to scrape the bottom of my shoe right now. Maybe later."

Obviously the young man writing this is very emotional and it's clouding his critical thinking ability.

His heart is in the right place, but unfortunately his complaints are all over the place and are ignoring the real issues. Too all over the place to even respond to.

Kinda like all the articles you've shown support for?

"I'm pi$$ed because they didn't have a press conference right away!"
"I know more than the doctors."
"I don't have to actually talk to anyone close to the situation to come to my conclusion."
"I know what's best for Jerry Kill."
"I know what's best for the fans."
"Oh, and by the way, I really, really do care about him."

Isn't that essentially what the articles say? How can you defend someone who says things like:

Kill suffers a seizure on game day as the coach of the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium exactly as often as he wins a Big Ten game. He’s 4-for-16 in both categories.

and

No one who buys a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium should be rewarded with the sight of a middle-aged man writhing on the ground.

I don't have a problem with people bringing it up and saying it could be a problem. The problem is there are too many assumptions and uncalled for shots at a man who has a disorder.

There are some jobs and duties that really can't be performed by a person who often has seizures (especially if they are brought on by job duties), right? The question is if football coach is one of them. I think we will find out in the next 12 months that this disorder just doesn't allow Kill to remain head coach at Minnesota. It really sucks but I am afraid it is heading in that direction.

There are some jobs and duties that really can't be performed by a person who often has seizures (especially if they are brought on by job duties), right? The question is if football coach is one of them. I think we will find out in the next 12 months that this disorder just doesn't allow Kill to remain head coach at Minnesota. It really sucks but I am afraid it is heading in that direction.

What makes you think this? Do you have any facts or observations to justify this opinion? Our I'd it just your hunch?

Being three head coach of a major college football program is WAY more than just being on the sidelines for games. One of the biggest parts is assembling a good coaching staff. Another is establishing a program where everyone knows their roles and can execute the successfully.

Coaches condition is what it is. He had set up his program with the understanding that this could happen. They have a plan for when it does and that plan worked last weekend. Sounds like just the kind of coach I want.

Ultimately, it will come down to results, as coach himself had stated many times. Indications are looking positive from my perspective, including recruits saying it is no impact on their decision.

Look at the positive side...is there any coach in the nation more qualified to teach players how to thrive in the face of adversity?

Go Gophers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

Kinda like all the articles you've shown support for?

"I'm pi$$ed because they didn't have a press conference right away!"
"I know more than the doctors."
"I don't have to actually talk to anyone close to the situation to come to my conclusion."
"I know what's best for Jerry Kill."
"I know what's best for the fans."
"Oh, and by the way, I really, really do care about him."

Isn't that essentially what the articles say? How can you defend someone who says things like:

and

I don't have a problem with people bringing it up and saying it could be a problem. The problem is there are too many assumptions and uncalled for shots at a man who has a disorder.

+1. Nicely said!

Missing the games is a big issue. Impact on the coach's credibility is a big issue. His desire to continue in the face of the disorder (does the job make it worse) is a big issue. These are all negatives. Are they enough to end his time as coach? To date they haven't been. But which direction do we seem to be heading is the question. I really hope he never has another seizure and has to leave a game and stays our coach for 10 more years but I feel like this is becoming a less likely outcome of all this each time he has to leave a game.

What's naive is to think that anything can be done about the situation. Sure its annoying to hear media jackals like Souhan take cheap shots at the program and Jerry Kill (as he always does), but can you imagine the media sh!tstorm we'd face if we ran him out of town because he has epilepsy? Which, it should be noted, is a condition he had when we hired him. The U would rightfully get pilloried near and far for making such a morally indefensible move.

Jerry Kill is and will be our football coach as long as he wants to be the football coach and performance on the field warrants him having the job. All of the background noise on this is irrelevant.

I know you may find this upsetting. I apologize in advance.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/223912621.html

Top Bottom