Great coaching, gritty play helps beat the odds

killme

Reaction score
In wading through the bile today, seeking information and insight, someone pointed out that the turnover margin against Kent was 0-3. Sorry, I don't recall who to give them credit, but it was something I'd overlooked. So, I did a quick check and discovered a site that details W-L with various TO margins. Teams that are -3 lose 78.9% of the time.

As many of us will attest, the ball bounces funny and over the course of 60 minutes, one key turnover lost or gained often seems to determine the outcome. Kill has said it's better to coach up the mistakes after a win, so I was pleased we survived this one. The boo birds could go about their business with no repercussion if we'd pandered to their wishes. The coaches and players took it, and persevered to win against the odds.

On the turnovers, our D missed a few chances. Happens. On the INT on the far sideline, it was one-on-one and Still had half a step. If Mitch leads him on the bomb, it could have been a pretty TD, but as he gains experience, he'll do what many good receivers are doing and use his advantage look back and adjust to the ball first, perhaps slowing up to catch the underthrow, or maybe drawing PI. I've seen that play many times in recent years. He's a true frosh.

Later, Still fumbles and Demetrius Monday returns it for Kent's only score. Monday had a whale of a game, but we overcame his three takeaway performance. Kill knows the importance of TOs and he and his staff did what they had to, taking as many variables out of the equation as possible.

Most teams would have lost that game. Here's a link to the percentages:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/1/24/5337968/college-football-five-factors

Top Bottom