Gray to Quarterback?

I've always compared Gray to Pryor in stating that Pryor looked bad his first couple games then adjusted & now look at him. It seems Gray won't be given that chance to play a few games to get the shakes out of him & start to adjust until next year & by then is another season gonna have to be wasted as Gray develops? He should've been getting experience this last year & this season...

Cliff notes version: Weber starts because he's been the starter for years. Gray is being patient and will get his chance to play QB next year.

Wow. What an enlightening and insightful piece.

:rolleyes:

I want my two minutes back.

I've always compared Gray to Pryor in stating that Pryor looked bad his first couple games then adjusted & now look at him. It seems Gray won't be given that chance to play a few games to get the shakes out of him & start to adjust until next year & by then is another season gonna have to be wasted as Gray develops? He should've been getting experience this last year & this season...

Wasn't that Pryor who threw two picks against Ohio U last week?

I still like Weber at quarterback. He gives us the best chance to win this season, IMO. However, if we lose to Northern Illinois or Northwestern, I'd rather start Gray and build for future seasons. Gameday experience is important to his development. I don't see us going 5-3 in the Big Ten season if we lose to N. Illinois, nor do I see us going 4-4 in the Big Ten if we lose to Northwestern. Either way, we'd realistically be out of bowl contention, and the future becomes a greater consideration than this season. Don't get me wrong, I love what Weber brings to the table as a leader on the team, but barring a breakthrough this season, it's not like he is looking at being an NFL QB.

I think we all would have liked to see Gray get some time at QB in the SD game when we should have blown them out. It didn't happen and probably won't the rest of the season. But don't underestimate the experiences he's getting from playing WR. I think it can be of some value going into next season when we hope he takes over at QB. Just being on the field even at a different position is a lot better than standing on the sidelines.

Denard Robinson can sure handle taking over a team on his 2nd year (i think) but Gray can't do that and needs "baby steps"...they really make it sound like the guy has the slowest mind ever...i'd rather just watch Gray pull some magic, then i'll cuss on his 2nd fumble of the game

HUGE

I think we all would have liked to see Gray get some time at QB in the SD game when we should have blown them out. It didn't happen and probably won't the rest of the season. But don't underestimate the experiences he's getting from playing WR. I think it can be of some value going into next season when we hope he takes over at QB. Just being on the field even at a different position is a lot better than standing on the sidelines.

The experience he's getting right now is huge. First, as has already been discussed, is the fact that learning the trials and tribulations of being a receiver is obviously going to help him be a better QB.

Secondly, I think this will go a long ways towards solving any perceived "fumbling problems" he may or may not have. It's been my contention that the fumbles that he's had is largely due to just plain not being used to being in the game and having the ball in his hands. Extended time at receiver, catching the ball and securing it, will help him out a ton with hanging on to the ball when he gets back behind the center.

Perfect example: my college coach was a big believer in having the holder for XP and FG attempts be the STARTING QB, primarily because he was used to being in the game already and was used to having the ball in his hands; much less likely to have a mis-handled snap. The games start getting colder and there you could be, bringing in a punter or a backup QB to hold who has NOT had his hands on the ball regularly up to that point. Much more likley to botch a snap on a critical kick.

I understand the idea that having him on the field in some capacity is better than having him on the sidelines during games. But if you had to compare running routes and catching passes in 12 games to learning the progressions and making the throws in hundreds of practices, would you really assert that the former is better for his development as a QB?

You hear about a lot of QBs becoming WRs (Kerry Meier, Keith Nichol, Antwaan Randle El, Kodi Burns, Eddie McGee etc) but I can't think of a single example of a guy going the other direction. McGee and Burns are great examples because they switched to WR to get on the field and then didn't switch back when the QB left.

... if we lose to Northern Illinois or Northwestern, I'd rather start Gray and build for future seasons.

Once a bowl game is no longer attainable, I would like to see Gray become the starter. That mark is 7 losses. I wouldn't want Brewster to quit trying to get to a bowl game while there's still a chance.

Weber/Gray = Montana/Young. Look how successful Steve Young became after he waited his turn to replace Joe Montana. Just a thought.

Weber/Gray = Montana/Young. Look how successful Steve Young became after he waited his turn to replace Joe Montana. Just a thought.

You are not equating Weber and Montana, are you?

Difference is Joe Montana was actually good...

Top Bottom