Gray the passer. No worry.

Reaction score
Gray mirrors the West Virginia QB Patrick White. Teams were so afraid of the run that any type of play action pass all White had to do was lay it out there and let the receiver run under it. If Marquis can handle the quick outs, screens, short slants, and swing passes he'll be just fine. people have commented can Gray make the "long" throw on the post or go route. ( the paranoids over on GI). Weber had to be spot on. Gray can be in the general area and let the receiver go get it. Whole new different ballgame with the way he can run the ball.

Sweet! That means we also have backs equivalent to Steve Slaton, Owen Schmitt, and Noel Devine!!!

don't know. White was a blazer that could score with one crease. Gray is a great athlete but I don't think he's fast enough to have teams fearing him housing it on every play. At least I haven't seen him display that type of speed yet

I don't think Gray's passing skills should be in doubt. The guy can sling it around just fine. Long, short, mid-range, on the run, from the pocket, etc. Arm is not in question.

Gray's issue has been and will continue to be "reading" defenses and making the right decision on where to throw the ball. If the coaches get him doing that, then this team could be better than anyone thinks. If not, then it won't.

I was in attendance for every one of Weber's home games and I watched all of his away games on TV. Plus I attended quite a few Gopher practices during his four years at the U. I also watched all of Gray's game appearances and a numer of practices when he played QB (including last Saturday). There is no doubt in my mind that Gray has a stronger arm than Weber, and he is a significantly more accurate passer. He usually throws a tight spiral with pace right on the receiver's numbers. Gopher fans are going to be in very good hands with Marquis running the show for the next two years. I can't wait.

Gray mirrors the West Virginia QB Patrick White. Teams were so afraid of the run that any type of play action pass all White had to do was lay it out there and let the receiver run under it. If Marquis can handle the quick outs, screens, short slants, and swing passes he'll be just fine. people have commented can Gray make the "long" throw on the post or go route. ( the paranoids over on GI). Weber had to be spot on. Gray can be in the general area and let the receiver go get it. Whole new different ballgame with the way he can run the ball.

I agree with this general sentiment but it really depends upon how well we are able to run the ball (as a team).

If Gray is facing a ton of third and longs, he'll need to be a super accurate passer regardless of his own ability to run the ball.

I'll be interested to see if this team will run the ball better and if they'll use a little more imagination on 1st down.

Assuming Gray (big assumption) does have the passing limitations that those on GI are worried about, he will struggle on third and long. If those third and 9's become third and 3's, he's a scary player.

don't know. White was a blazer that could score with one crease. Gray is a great athlete but I don't think he's fast enough to have teams fearing him housing it on every play. At least I haven't seen him display that type of speed yet

That's a good point oleboy. I think that Gray is more like a Cam Newton (in style of play, i'm not saying he will be as good).

Either way, the point is that if the LBs and S's have to be super concerned with his running ability, like they did with White and Newton, his passing doesn't have to be as razor sharp.

Plus, he won't have a new OC every year.

+1, Butch. Wasn't the word on Marqueis that he had a better arm than Terrelle Pryor when they both came out together? Or was that just bloviation from Brew?

+1, Butch. Wasn't the word on Marqueis that he had a better arm than Terrelle Pryor when they both came out together? Or was that just bloviation from Brew?

Brewster wasn't even the one who said that.

I will say, Terrel Pryor might have a decent arm, but it's neither accurate nor consistent. And his spirals often look more like the ball was kicked, all end over end.. I think he's a superb athlete, but as a QB there's a lot more to be desired from him than people give him credit for...

I will say, Terrel Pryor might have a decent arm, but it's neither accurate nor consistent. And his spirals often look more like the ball was kicked, all end over end.. I think he's a superb athlete, but as a QB there's a lot more to be desired from him than people give him credit for...

I don't think Pryor is at all a Drew Brees type of drop back passer, but as far as college QBs go, he had a pretty good season last year.

He had a passer rating real close to Stanzi (who is considered to have had a great season) and he ran for almost 800 yards.

A guy like Pryor had almost unrealistic expectations but he threw the ball very well last year and he was a great runner.

I was in attendance for every one of Weber's home games and I watched all of his away games on TV. Plus I attended quite a few Gopher practices during his four years at the U. I also watched all of Gray's game appearances and a numer of practices when he played QB (including last Saturday). There is no doubt in my mind that Gray has a stronger arm than Weber, and he is a significantly more accurate passer. He usually throws a tight spiral with pace right on the receiver's numbers. Gopher fans are going to be in very good hands with Marquis running the show for the next two years. I can't wait.

The bold could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A significantly more accurate passer? Congratulations, you made me laugh out loud.

Mind if we ask what you're basing this off of? Is it that Gray went 2-for-8 passing last year? Or is it that he completed 6-for-15 the year before when he was playing more QB? Passer ratings the last two years of 83.4 and 50.2, compared to 114.7 and 129.9 for Weber?

Or perhaps you're basing it off the fact that Gray looks GREAT throwing the ball in practice and pre-game warmups.

Look, if you don't like (or hate) Weber, that's fine and dandy. I have no problem with that. But if you've seen Gray throw very much, I don't have to tell you that at least I have some serious concerns about his accuracy.

Yes, I know Gray is a tremendous athlete and has a gun for an arm, considerably stronger than Weber's. I love the way the ball shoots off his hand, effortlessly. He's a very gifted thrower that is blessed with an extremely good arm. But is he going to be a "passer"? I think that remains to be seen. I'm hoping for the best because he could be something special.

The bold could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A significantly more accurate passer? Congratulations, you made me laugh out loud.

Mind if we ask what you're basing this off of? Is it that Gray went 2-for-8 passing last year? Or is it that he completed 6-for-15 the year before when he was playing more QB? Passer ratings the last two years of 83.4 and 50.2, compared to 114.7 and 129.9 for Weber?

Or perhaps you're basing it off the fact that Gray looks GREAT throwing the ball in practice and pre-game warmups.

Look, if you don't like (or hate) Weber, that's fine and dandy. I have no problem with that. But if you've seen Gray throw very much, I don't have to tell you that at least I have some serious concerns about his accuracy.

Yes, I know Gray is a tremendous athlete and has a gun for an arm, considerably stronger than Weber's. I love the way the ball shoots off his hand, effortlessly. He's a very gifted thrower that is blessed with an extremely good arm. But is he going to be a "passer"? I think that remains to be seen. I'm hoping for the best because he could be something special.

Either they calculate passer ratings way different in college or that passer rating for weber is extemely high and weber's arm was nothing to get excited about.

If there isn't enough evidence to support the "Gray is uber accurate" opinion then there isn't enough evidence to support your "I'm super concerned about his accuracy" stance either.

We don't know how he'll do yet. As you say, all we can do is hope for the best.

There is no doubt in my mind that Gray has a stronger arm than Weber, and he is a significantly more accurate passer. He usually throws a tight spiral with pace right on the receiver's numbers.

I have actually thought the ball looked better coming out of Gray's hand than any QB the gophers have had in the past few years. I don't know about accuracy...but touch, spiral, and strength Gray definitely has it IMO.

Accuracy (which was an issue for Weber as well) and the mental game are the two big unknowns for me.

Either they calculate passer ratings way different in college or that passer rating for weber is extemely high and weber's arm was nothing to get excited about.

They are calculated diffently.

NCAA:

fceeb009e08556d425eac60570f85af4.png

McKnight is going to be an inexperienced Gray's best friend. He isn't Decker, but he's not that far off. He is going to earn an NFL paycheck.

It has to be the off season when you see so many optimistic posts, ill check back in 4 games in and see what the thoughts are like.
Ill have to see significant improvements from our RBs and defense before i get too excited.
Still hopeful

Life's too short not to spend the offseason excited.

AMEN BROTHER!

I've been waiting for 2 years for "Q" to play an entire series. All the naysayers are going to be pretty sheepish this season....but who cares? The coaches who couldn't see/use the talent are gone and we've got one who can and will use it. Any QB who can run effectively is dangerous, no matter what his arm is like. We've all seen that Q can definitely make a running play in (very little) space. That opens up a lot of other options and we'll benefit from that. Gopher FB is going to be exciting this season!

GO GOPHERS!

Gray is one of the most talented athletes in the Big Ten.

Yes, I said that.

I said that more than two years ago.

He is that talented.

Top Bottom