Gray Matter

Hope to see Gray. I hear that some of the younger guys feel they are more hungry to become a winning program. Many feel that they are waiting out some of the seniors, who are satisfied with being a middle of the pack team. One player described the post-game talk from Brew as "crazy," because he complimented various "effort-related" things after PSU and OSU. This player is newer to the team and was annoyed that anything less than winning was complimented. Moral victory parades should have ended after the Insight spanking last year.

I don't think their big issue is talent (though they still have a ways to go in talent development). I think their issue is a mixture of inconsistent intensity/focus and a lack of collective refusal to lose.

Zone read is probably the ideal offense for Gray at this point. You want to limit his options out of the gate, cut down his reads and slowly make it more complex as he begins to grasp the speed of the game and reading more elaborate defenses.

If we're still running it two years from now then well

The Zone Read is a single play, not an offense. It also involves a decision, based on a read (backside DE), every time it is run.

As for two years from now, it seemed to work pretty well for Tim Tebow. The Zone Read is Florida's bread and butter play. As with everything, it all depends on personnel.

I certainly hope they run it two years from now, as it is the type of play that requires practice and Gray will have gotten much better at it.

I look for Gray to see PT right away. Get him into the flow. He has played well when given the chance. Will they give him 15 snaps? Maybe 20? Hope so, as it will give MSU more to think about and our best athletes on the field.

Will they give him 15 snaps? Maybe 20? Hope so, as it will give MSU more to think about and our best athletes on the field.

That's the biggest short-term advantage in my book. Right now no one is afraid of the Gopher's offense. They had them figured out: cover Decker. Now with Decker out, should be even easier, right? Well, there's no footage of Gray. He's a complete mystery to our opponents. Sure they understand his style, and that he's on the team. But it would be pretty tough to justify spending much practice time on what you'll do IF Gray plays...

I'm putting the over/under of the number of snaps Gray sees at 25.

Anyone care to place any mythical stacks o' cash on the line?

I'm putting the over/under of the number of snaps Gray sees at 25.

Anyone care to place any mythical stacks o' cash on the line?

I will take the under and bet you all the riches from the lost continent of atlantis.

Top Bottom