Gray Matter

gophmeister

Reaction score
If Weber can't get anything going against MSU in the first quarter or so, does Gray get a shot at a full series before halftime?

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I doubt it. You have to think Weber gets the entire first half to see if they can get anything going.

Hopefully, it's a moot point and the offense throws down 21 in the first half.

I think Weber will play the entire game. I don't think MSU will blow us out but I think they will be able to maintain a 2 score lead and even if Weber turns the ball over a few times, makes some bad throws, gets sacked, etc, Brewster will still rather have his "Veteran" QB in with the "Game Still In Reach".......

So our chances of seeing Gray control a series (or even half of one) are very slim.......

If Weber can't get anything going against MSU in the first quarter or so, does Gray get a shot at a full series before halftime?

I think that will happen no matter what the score is. The earlier it happens the quicker you get Michigan States defense worrying about the additional alternatives they have to defense. That is the one of the advantages of platooning and I think it will be used. End of first quarter, start of second quarter time frame.

I know its contrary to every thing we've seen so far this year, but I think as long as we are down in the game, we'll see Gray coming in regularly, even for a whole series. My fear is more if we get up by a score or two, and Brewster goes hyper-conservative and let's Weber 'manage' the game for the win.

Maybe I'm delusional today...but I see Gray getting at least 50% of the snaps...Brew/JF are going to be rolling the dice Saturday night imho. It will be a cold, nasty Minny Halloween night and setup for a nightmarish, scarey evening of GG "trick & treating" for our BT visitors from Sparty-dom.

This is a must win, Decker's gone (nullifying much of Weber's value), and the conditions will be windy and cold. It's going to be an ideal night to pound the zone read play mixed with quick hitting passes and the occasional deeper look. On Saturday the weather will be gray, hopefully the Gophers will be Gray too.

This is a must win, Decker's gone (nullifying much of Weber's value), and the conditions will be windy and cold. It's going to be an ideal night to pound the zone read play mixed with quick hitting passes and the occasional deeper look. On Saturday the weather will be gray, hopefully the Gophers will be Gray too.

Well stated...BTW, does your name reference a certain Beastie Boys song? :D

Maybe I'm delusional today...but I see Gray getting at least 50% of the snaps...Brew/JF are going to be rolling the dice Saturday night imho. It will be a cold, nasty Minny Halloween night and setup for a nightmarish, scarey evening of GG "trick & treating" for our BT visitors from Sparty-dom.

I agree with you.. I see something very close to 50-50.

I wish there was a way to see if the same people who hated the zone read, now are demanding it. I guess the grass is always greener.

I wish there was a way to see if the same people who hated the zone read, now are demanding it. I guess the grass is always greener.
Zone read is probably the ideal offense for Gray at this point. You want to limit his options out of the gate, cut down his reads and slowly make it more complex as he begins to grasp the speed of the game and reading more elaborate defenses.

If we're still running it two years from now then well

One of the reasons we went away from the zone read is it required 5 linemen to correctly block 5 of the six defenders. Which we struggled at last year doing. The fastest way to stop a zone read is to get backfield penetration. Are we better at the point of attack now that we can maintain the line of scrimmage. I find the gray wildcat formation similar to Redmond as a back up catcher. he is great when you play him sparingly, but if you put him in the line up for long periods of time, it isn't going to take a defense long to have one person stay at home and rely on one of your other 5 defensive players to beat MN O-Line in one on one situations to stop the running back.

I currently hope that he plays his Jr year as a full time starter. Until then I don't mind the special packages they are using him in, that allow the offense to have a different look occasionally.

Gray will play in the same capacity that he did in last weeks Ohio State game. I wish this wasn't so but I cannot foresee the coaching staff making any significant changes regarding Gray's playing time.

But we can still dream....

I am preparing myself for the Weber benching that will be handled in Denny Green fashion. 'Ahhh, AW is hurt and will start again when healthy'.........and then AW , seemingly healthy, never starts again.

Gray will play in the same capacity that he did in last weeks Ohio State game. I wish this wasn't so but I cannot foresee the coaching staff making any significant changes regarding Gray's playing time.

But we can still dream....

You think we will only use a Touch of Gray?

I don't think you'll see much change. We tend to look at this as Starting QB vs Back up QB, but that isn't the way the staff sees it except for injury. They see it as veteran starter with a future QB in training. Gray will be in for his snap or two, maybe for a series or two. He may get more or less depending on how the game plays out. He'll be more involved as the year goes on and situations suggest. i think spring is when the real competition starts.

I think that will happen no matter what the score is. The earlier it happens the quicker you get Michigan States defense worrying about the additional alternatives they have to defense. That is the one of the advantages of platooning and I think it will be used. End of first quarter, start of second quarter time frame.

+1 That's my thinking, and probably Fish and Brew's:D

You think we will only use a Touch of Gray?

I'm not sure how many touches Gray got against Ohio State, but I think he will get close to the same amount and similar type of play calling. Gray was used more than a touch against OSU.

...alright unless I missed Brewster coming out and saying weber was starting this weekend...rumor on campus is Gray is starting, and actually had heard it from an athlete which in my book has a little more credibility than the average student since he's friend with people on the football team...

so i guess we'll see how good of a source he is...

I'm not sure how many touches Gray got against Ohio State, but I think he will get close to the same amount and similar type of play calling. Gray was used more than a touch against OSU.

Perhaps we will see multiple Shades of Gray?

I hope I'm finally wrong about something but I think Brewster is a stubborn mule and he won't admit how wrong he has been for 3 years regarding Weber. Remember, he didn't win the starting job until late in the fall of 2007. He was fighting Tony for the job and Tony was ahead early on. Brew has hitched his wagon to AW and if he starts Gray now, he's admitting he was wrong and that will never happen.

Go ahead, Brew, prove me wrong. I'd love nothing more than to eat some Gray crow Sunday morning.

...alright unless I missed Brewster coming out and saying weber was starting this weekend...rumor on campus is Gray is starting, and actually had heard it from an athlete which in my book has a little more credibility than the average student since he's friend with people on the football team...

From GH press conference notes:

"At QB, they are going to continue to do the things they do, Adam Weber will be the starting QB, MarQueis Gray will get opportunities like he did like against OSU. Weber threw the ball very well early in the game, but the team didn’t do a good job of supporting him. He will continue to be our starter, and will play very well on Saturday night."

Dude, are you actually saying Weber over Mortenson is a career decider??? Really?? It was a spread, Weber had the better legs, neither was incumbant. Nice revisionist history. This is the first year there has been a legitimate choice, and we are talking about a true freshman as the option. So far he has made the only sensible decisions available, it's only just now getting dicey. Beautiful.

I hope I'm finally wrong about something but I think Brewster is a stubborn mule and he won't admit how wrong he has been for 3 years regarding Weber. Remember, he didn't win the starting job until late in the fall of 2007. He was fighting Tony for the job and Tony was ahead early on. Brew has hitched his wagon to AW and if he starts Gray now, he's admitting he was wrong and that will never happen.

Go ahead, Brew, prove me wrong. I'd love nothing more than to eat some Gray crow Sunday morning.

Did Mortenson ever actually complete a pass? He seems like a nice fellow and he ran the ball well but if people are blacking-out over Weber missing open receivers there would have been mass suicide watching Mortenson throw the ball.

I did like the Wren- like "I hope I'm finally wrong about something"!

Look back on the year that Mason gave out six scholarships to Quarterbacks without coming up with a back-up that he even trusted to throw the ball. If a few of those had gone to Defensive Players maybe he could have gotten an extra win or two.

Heck, if one of them could have stepped-up when Cupito was hurt or having a bad game and added a couple of wins Mase might still be the coach.

I must be geting tired...:eek:

I know its contrary to every thing we've seen so far this year, but I think as long as we are down in the game, we'll see Gray coming in regularly, even for a whole series. My fear is more if we get up by a score or two, and Brewster goes hyper-conservative and let's Weber 'manage' the game for the win.[/QUOTE]

i would hate to be up a score or two also:confused::confused::confused:

I hope I'm finally wrong about something ...

Remember, he didn't win the starting job until late in the fall of 2007. He was fighting Tony for the job and Tony was ahead early on.
It's always interesting to watch a guy prove himself wrong within one sentence -- a mere 22 words -- after his ignoble assertion.

Dr Don and I exchanged many a post regarding the competition for QB before the 2007 season and the role of starter was pretty much resolved when the first game started.

And thus the Mounds View Cabal© was started.

countdownclub.jpg

Top Bottom