Graham Mertz vs Tanner Morgan - 2021

Fleck really challenged them after Iowa. CRAB especially stepped up big time. Best he has looked all year.

Morgan is what he is at this point. He needs receivers to make some plays in traffic and they did that yesterday.
I think Chris Autmann-Bell is probably closest to health he's been all season. It appears the staff has been trying to manage his playing time due to injury. Perhaps it is now paying off.

I was wondering about this when earlier in the season everyone was trashing on Mertz.
WI's running stats are similar to ours, so I was curious about our passing stats as well.

Both teams are pretty similar.
WI defense is a bit better and their #1 RB is probably better than what we have right now.

Slight edge to our passing game perhaps, but our passing game is so hot/cold.
morgranvm.jpg

QB rating isn't 100% telling (Tanner didn't index well in an easy win over NU, Chryst had no intention of throwing the ball vs Illinois) but the absolute and trend both slightly favor Mertz.

We will see Saturday. He is much improved. He did suck in the 3 losses. If Chryst could win a game without passing, he would. Have to factor that in to any QB stats for the Badgers.
He has sucked in some wins too. If you think he is a good QB you have blinders on. He is a one read QB:
Sometimes when you have a historically good defense and a good running game that’s enough to win.

QB GM: 125 of 213 for 1505 yards. 58.7% completion. 7.1 avg. 8 TD's, 9 Ints. 122.0 Rating.

QB TM: 116 of 200 for 1540 yards. 58.0% completion. 7.7 avg. 7 TD's, 7 Ints. 127.2 Rating

Your stats seem to be from last week prior to this weekend’s games?

Not sure. I pulled them when I made the post.
Maybe they weren't updated, but made my point about how similar they've seemed so far.

Tanner has statistically been a little better this year. Next week is the crucible for him.

The season we've had wouldn't be surprising from a record standpoint if we knew Morgan's stats in advance. We would have assumed different losses (ex at Indiana before the season) and different wins (Bowling Green, Illinois) but probably would have ended up at 7-4 to this point. As different people have pointed out, Wisconsin and Minnesota are similar teams...Wisconsin has just been better at things both do well in terms of running the football and playing defense. That's why I thought the return of 2019 Morgan or something close to it was crucial to actually having the season we hoped we'd have. We needed an advantage in QB play to offset disadvantages elsewhere. We can (and have) debated how much of that blame goes to each of Fleck, Sanford, and Morgan but the end result is the end result.

I'd love for Tanner to have a throwback game to 2019 and to leave Saturday with the Axe and a ticket to Indy. I hope it happens, but I won't get my hopes up about any of these games until I actually see W's put on the board...Penn State was a long time ago now and this whole program badly needs to win a big conference game.

Wright needs to be on the field a lot more Saturday.
Hopefully. I'm going to guess that the same things that kept him off the field at A&M are the same things keeping him off the field here.

Fleck said, when asked about Wright a week ago, "Playing time has to be earned." I guess he earned one ball last week.
Was he only on the field for that one snap? Should we have forced it to him if he wasn't open or an option? Looks like he was back in the rotation at WR, so hopefully that means he is doing the things he needs to do in order to earn playing time.

Top Bottom