Graduation Rates

I have little remorse or sympathy for those who receive a full ride at a university and choose not to get a degree. Obviously the system allows for that type of decision making on the part of "student" athletes with a focused dream and goal to play on Sundays. Some just work the system to remain in good standing rather than putting in the work to get a degree, an prepare themselves for a chance to play in the NFL.

Until the NCAA realizes that CFB football is largely a non subsizided farm team for the NFL, nothing will change. Same with college hoops and hockey. The system has been in place for a long time and is a train wreck. In the meantime, the NCAA overburdens itself with a hoard of cumbersome rules and regulations that are mostly meaningless in light of the big picture as most universities do their best to develop football players and keep them eligible.

CFB is a huge business. Money drives the whole process and a lot of players are pawns to make the process work. Some only look at it for their own gain and merely a stepping stone to the NFL. I know there are exceptions, but the majority rules.

I offer no solution as I am not smart enough to go there.

I hate the articles where the data comes from a google search. I want to see numbers within the numbers, and why this happens. Anyone can google and write an article.

I'm failing to see the point. Is he suggesting the Schools need to change? The NCAA? God forbid we ask for a little self reliance or responsibility from the players. I'm sure the players have access to many different kinds of programs or tutors to help them with school. All of these kids had to qualify academically so hypothetically they should all come fairly prepared for school. These kids have full ride scholarships and get their allowances to go to school and play football, a situation most students will only dream about. At what point do we stop blaming the system and start expecting more from the student athletes.

I'm failing to see the point. Is he suggesting the Schools need to change? The NCAA? God forbid we ask for a little self reliance or responsibility from the players. I'm sure the players have access to many different kinds of programs or tutors to help them with school. All of these kids had to qualify academically so hypothetically they should all come fairly prepared for school. These kids have full ride scholarships and get their allowances to go to school and play football, a situation most students will only dream about. At what point do we stop blaming the system and start expecting more from the student athletes.

Exactly. And I imagine the football teams get access to tutoring for free while regular students have to pay for those services.

I think that's just it though. I don't think there is anyway to fix the solution from the kid's point of view, the truth is that it is 100% their fault. However, the schools are making so much money that they refuse to make these kids accountable for their apathy towards their own education. Again, i'm not saying the universities have to do more to get the kids to graduate. They give them a full ride, countless tutoring opportunities, etc. My beef is that these schools still let these kids play football.

There are certain schools that have no problem recruiting a kid, enrolling him in school, and letting him not work towards graduation BUT let him be a part of the football team. That is a self serving method. It works against the integrity of the college game and makes them faux student-athletes.

If they aren't legitimately working towards their diploma, they shouldn't be eligible for college sports.

If they aren't legitimately working towards their diploma, they shouldn't be eligible for college sports.

Careful what you wish for here. If this were to become the rule rather than a wish, be prepared to see a lot more ineligible players. You think the Auburn JUCOs that led their team were working hard in the classroom?

Careful what you wish for here. If this were to become the rule rather than a wish, be prepared to see a lot more ineligible players. You think the Auburn JUCOs that led their team were working hard in the classroom?

That's actually my entire point. These players who aren't working towards graduating shouldn't be eligible. We shouldn't have a system where these school are allowed to use these kids and these non-student athletes are taking scholarships away from real student athletes.

that CFB football is largely a non subsizided farm team for the NFL, nothing will change. Same with college hoops and hockey.

Graduation rates for NCAA hockey are pretty good. Rarely do we ever hear of a school going on academic probation or any probation.

Two questions:

1) What is the graduation rate for Oregon's Polynesian contingent?

2) Why does Roy S. Johnson hate Polynesians?

Graduation rates for NCAA hockey are pretty good. Rarely do we ever hear of a school going on academic probation or any probation.

Probably because a large percentage of the schools playing D1 hockey are academically elite Eastern colleges that have high academic standards to begin with. That and there are only about 30-40 D1 hockey programs.

I have to think that the graduation rate at UND in the 80's (era of Belfour, Hrkac etc.) had to be abysmal. I've heard stories that would rival things you'd see in a typical college party movie.

Probably because a large percentage of the schools playing D1 hockey are academically elite Eastern colleges that have high academic standards to begin with. That and there are only about 30-40 D1 hockey programs.

I have to think that the graduation rate at UND in the 80's (era of Belfour, Hrkac etc.) had to be abysmal. I've heard stories that would rival things you'd see in a typical college party movie.

There are 58 programs I believe.

The NCAA has regulations on how many credits an athlete needs at the end of each year to remain eligible. There is also a limit on the percentage of those that can come through summer school. So there are methods in place to ensure that athletes are on track to graduate and yet there are those that do not complete there degree.

I remember having to adjust the schedule for two-a-days because there were guys that needed to take a late summer course to get eligible. That meant one practice at ~5 am and another in the evening.

There are 58 programs I believe.

With the addition of PSU there will be 59. Hockey is an elite "country club" sport where the asute wealthy kids come from. That is why you will never see hockey schools getting into trouble with academic probation.

With the addition of PSU there will be 59. Hockey is an elite "country club" sport where the asute wealthy kids come from. That is why you will never see hockey schools getting into trouble with academic probation.

I think what you are pointing out there is a high correlation between family income and academic success which has been known for a long time. I wouldn't call hockey a "country club sport" in the traditional sense. Golf and tennis are the sports that people normally think of as "country club sport". What is true though is that in today's world playing hockey is a major financial commitment by the parents. To be successful in hockey, kids need to start early and play often which usually requires significant time and money for equipment, ice time, coaching and traveling expenses. That does sound like a family with a country club budget but lots of middle class families makes significant sacrifices so their child or children can play and succeed in hockey. In many cases it becomes an obsession which can have some very negative aspects but the parents do know where their kids are, i.e. at the rink.

Top Bottom