Grading the recruits

Gold Rush

Reaction score
It looks like PJ Fleck and his staff have brought in a solid class, one that fills many needs. Many of these recruits committed last Summer and I think this is a far different team than it was at that time. The team posted a nice 10-2 record and is hopefully ready to take it to the next level. Finishing as the #13 team in the country DOES put the team on a different plateau than last year and hopefully you can take the recruiting to the next level as well. I am very hopeful next year's class could be even better than this one if we can continue to ride the wave.

Everyone wants to know what type of recruits we are bringing in, how many stars they have or how they grade compared to the other teams in the conference or country and that's fair because all we have now are highlight tapes, opinions and potential to go on for now. I know it has been repeated again and again but you can't officially grade it out until 3-4 years from now when the players are either playing very well, starting, backing up or are no longer with the program. One of the reasons this year's team was so good is the senior class stuck around and made a difference and many were standout players. At this point you would have to give Claeys a pretty good grade for his class, but equally important would be for Fleck and his staff for developing them and keeping them in the program. As far as grading goes, I suppose it would be fairly easy to go down the list and go on a 1-10 schedule and grade how well each player did and give a 10 to a Winfield and a 0 to someone who left with zero contribution but THAT would be your honest grade.

With all that said, getting the recruits committed and signed is an art and the good recruiters are worth their weight in gold. I can imagine PJ Fleck would be a tough guy to say no to and I like our chances of him bringing in elite talent. But again equally important is keeping the players here and developing them because in almost every case, each recruit will grow from being an 18 year old high school kid into a 22-23 year old young man and there is a huge difference between the two. Gopher fans have seen all too many recruiting classes that held promise but were gutted from early departures. If this team wants to get to the next level, we will need to not only keep them here, but develop them better than the other teams do.

With PJ Fleck and his staff he, I really like our chances at developing these recruits and molding them into a very good team. Four or five years from now, we will know for sure!!

Recruiting, developing, and retaining.

Brew could recruit, but I am not sure about the developing and he had massive issues with attrition.

PJ's classes sign, get into school, and the attrition seems to be just the natural amount of attrition associated with college football in 2020.

Recruiting, developing, and retaining.

Brew could recruit, but I am not sure about the developing and he had massive issues with attrition.

PJ's classes sign, get into school, and the attrition seems to be just the natural amount of attrition associated with college football in 2020.
If you can't recruit them you don't get them, but if you can't develop them or keep them, that is talent that is wasted. I don't care if you sign Randy Moss and Lawrence Taylor, if they quit the team before hitting the field it is worthless!!! lol.

Without grading the recruits individually just looking at our past 5 years or so.
2013 - 50/50 mix - some solid players and fair number of misses.
2014 - Top half of the class was a mess, some good players in the middle to bottom portion
2015 - Complete dumpster fire of a recruiting class.
2016 - Very strong class from top to bottom. Couple misses but a lot of quality football players in that class. Easily one of the strongest instate classes we have seen in Minnesota.
2017 - 50/50 - some really big hits for a coaching transition year (Morgan, CRAB) but some pretty big misses as well.
2018 - Too early to grade completely but the top of the class was phenomenal and there appears to be some good talent throughout
2019 - Too early to tell.

Last edited:

Without grading the recruits individually just looking at our past 5 years or so.

Shannon Brooks, Huff Brothers, Winston DLBD came out of that dumpster fire

2013 - Pretty weak class from top to bottom
2014 - Top half of the class was a mess, some good players in the middle to bottom portion
2016 - Very strong class from top to bottom. Couple misses but a lot of quality football players in that class. Easily one of the strongest instate classes we have seen in Minnesota.
2017 - 50/50 - some really big hits for a coaching transition year (Morgan, CRAB) but some pretty big misses as well.
2018 - Too early to grade completely but the top of the class was phenomenal and there appears to be some good talent throughout
2019 - Too early to tell.

Well, thanks for doing this work! But, looking at the recruits from some of the worst years, you might have been a bit hyperbolic. Yes, 2015 was pretty weak but it wasn't a "complete dumpster fire from top-to-bottom." The class did feature Brooks, the Huff brothers, and DeLattiboudere. Antonio Shenault, while not that good, did play a lot of games for the team. Rashad Still was a fair receiver (nothing like what we have now, of course).

I wouldn't say the 2013 class was weak: De'Vondre Campbell, Drew Wolitarsky, Damian Wilson, Jalen Myrick, Ryan Santoso. Duke McGhee had his issues but he played a lot of games for the team. Eric Carter was a fair receiver. Donovahn Jones had some disciplinary issues and only lasted two years but he was a decent long-threat receiver with some speed, something we didn't have much of in those years.

If we grade them differently because they're our football players .... I think that's an NCAA violation...

Well, thanks for doing this work! But, looking at the recruits from some of the worst years, you might have been a bit hyperbolic. Yes, 2015 was pretty weak but it wasn't a "complete dumpster fire from top-to-bottom." The class did feature Brooks, the Huff brothers, and DeLattiboudere. Antonio Shenault, while not that good, did play a lot of games for the team. Rashad Still was a fair receiver (nothing like what we have now, of course).

I wouldn't say the 2013 class was weak: De'Vondre Campbell, Drew Wolitarsky, Damian Wilson, Jalen Myrick, Ryan Santoso. Duke McGhee had his issues but he played a lot of games for the team. Eric Carter was a fair receiver. Donovahn Jones had some disciplinary issues and only lasted two years but he was a decent long-threat receiver with some speed, something we didn't have much of in those years.

Agree that 2013 was probably closer to a 50/50 class with some solid players and some complete misses.

I stand by my assessment of 2015 though. Brooks was obviously a really good player who was snakebit by injuries for most of his career. There are always going to be a few players that come out of any class, but that class was ranked really poorly at the time and in this case that ranking seems pretty spot on because the vast majority of the class did nothing here.

Shannon Brooks, Huff Brothers, Winston DLBD came out of that dumpster fire

When you sign 24 players and out of that you have one really good player in Brooks (who never really got to realize his full potential due to injuries) and 3 role players who were solid but nothing spectacular, that qualifies as a dumpster fire.

I must admit to being one of those fans that only follow recruiting on signing day. What should Gopher fans use as a good rating list for B10 recruits?

I must admit to being one of those fans that only follow recruiting on signing day. What should Gopher fans use as a good rating list for B10 recruits?
Tell them to see who was in 1st place in the Western Division. Stars don't matter.

Top Bottom