Gourdie: I truly believe in the next two years, Minnesota will overtake Wisconsin as the premier program in the Big Ten West

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Gourdie:

I truly believe in the next two years, Minnesota will overtake Wisconsin as the premier program in the Big Ten West. Wisconsin runs an outdated offensive scheme that consistently has to be bailed out by an elite defense. What will happen when Wisconsin defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard leaves for a head-coaching position?

Minnesota has what Iowa and Wisconsin don’t have: swagger. They play in a big city with an energetic head coach that’s willing to make the necessary changes by taking risks. Fleck, in 2019, employed an air-raid attack with Tanner Morgan as quarterback. Now with the downfall of Morgan, he’s gone full smashmouth with his offensive line. Fleck has a history of firing coordinators and replacing them with proven names that he is willing to cough up the money for.

If you’re an Illinois fan, watching Minnesota succeed should give you hope that Bielema can turn the Illini into the next annual contender for Indianapolis. Fleck, an Illinois native, has 13 players on his roster from the Land of Lincoln. Fleck has a big personality, like Bielema himself. Fleck has dedicated himself to his university, signaling he isn’t going anywhere.

Go Gophers!!

We don’t have a ton of D1 recruits in MN so maybe it’s just a year to year thing but it seems PJ is starting to shutdown the pipeline to WI. Also it seems like he is going on the offensive by recruiting/taking walk ins from WI. Hopefully in a few years we are keeping the top MN kids and plucking a few from WI.

I have heard this old tune now for about 10 years. "Minnesota has what Iowa and Wisconsin don’t have: swagger"

I like the theory and next Saturday in Iowa city and then at our place a couple weeks later would be a good starting point for this. Iowa and Wisconsin whoop us again this year, the theory is dead, again.

Gourdie is welcomed in Gopher Country.

The road to Indianapolis is not paved in Gopher Gold yet. They have four bumps in the road to grade smooth.

Gopher offense in 2019 - average plays per game
Passing - 24.8 Rushing 43.1

If that is an "air raid" offense, then what the bleep are they running in the (old) Big 12.

And what is the "downfall of Morgan?"

this guy does not sound like he has been giving the Gopher program a great deal of scrutiny.

I do think the what about Jim Leonhard piece is unfounded. They've had great DC's under Alvarez. Before Leonard we have Wilcox, Aranda, Ash, Doeren, Hankwitz, Bielema, Cosgrove

If that is an "air raid" offense, then what the bleep are they running in the (old) Big 12.

this guy does not sound like he has been giving the Gopher program a great deal of scrutiny.
The air raid part is laughable -- but Morgan's stats show a clear down fall since Ciarocca left.

this article is like the plastic food on TV commercials. looks yummy but a closer inspection reveals some questionable meat

I said it in my wedding vows, I said it in my grandfathers eulogy and I’ll say it now: Gourdie is NOT a dink

HA! Totally appropriate venues for you to reinforce the importance of this message.

Go Gourdie!!

Wowzers let's start with improving on our 20 year .150 win % in Axe games. Gourdie must have landed on this planet yesterday.

Wowzers let's start with improving on our 20 year .150 win % in Axe games. Gourdie must have landed on this planet yesterday.
Your right. The team sucks, has an inferior quarterback and has no shot in beating the badgers.

IMHO .... we are trendng correctly, but IA, WI will be tough for the future, and Bert will get IL, on track. Keep the faith....

I have heard this old tune now for about 10 years. "Minnesota has what Iowa and Wisconsin don’t have: swagger"

I like the theory and next Saturday in Iowa city and then at our place a couple weeks later would be a good starting point for this. Iowa and Wisconsin whoop us again this year, the theory is dead, again.
You heard that in the last 10 years? Where?

Is the Strib hiring? Gourdie needs to replace the dinks at our local paper
Haha. Star Tribune’s hiring questionnaire lists some prerequisites. Are you (1) male, (2) fat, (3) near death, (4) pompous without justification, and (5) reached no higher than the Fergus Falls Evening Standard?

Mpls’ sports radio is basically the same except you can be younger but you need to spend your hour of sports hosting talking about movie trivia or politics - if you occasionally mention sports you can only do so by saying the dumbest thing possible then repeat that thing but this time with different words and go on until the commercial break. Then you must transition to entertainment news.

Morgan's stats show a clear down fall since Ciarocca left.
More so the loss of NFL-caliber WR play... It's not as if Ciarocca has been burning it up at his next stops. He's gone from celebrated BIg 10 offensive coordinator to fired Big 10 offensive coordinator to some sort of offensive analyst... He benefited just as much as Tanner.

I like the part about Jim Leonhard leaving Wisconsin. The B1G West is stuck with that dude for the next 3 decades.

Top Bottom