Got inside the gates.....

CP Gopher

Reaction score
Walked through an open gate this morning. The place is absolutely spectacular.
A few thoughts...
--Wear sunglasses. The turf is extremely bright.
--Be prepared for heat at the early season games. I sat in a lower level bleacher seat in the corner and it was sweltering.
--The concourses will be plenty wide enough.
--Goldy's Locker Room looks ready to open.
--The field level brick looks very classy.
--The plaza area on the open end looks like a great meeting spot for pregame/halftime.
--The gameday atmosphere is going to be tremendous. There is open space everywhere around the stadium. Lots of places for people to meet and enjoy the day.

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Thanks CP. Glad to hear you were able to slip in.

I think the detail is what will blow me away. All the M's....the landscaping....the Minnesota letters spelled out big on the plaza for the overhead shots.....plaque commemorating opening day...the tables in the club room with old gopher photos laminated on them, etc., etc.

The stadium looks amazing in every way. The only concern I have is will they be able to perform the upkeep on all the detail they have included. When the first Iowa or Wisconsin fan writes "sucks" under all the M's on the bathroom stall doors will "sucks" stay up there for season after season or will they perorm the needed upkeep?

The stadium looks amazing in every way. The only concern I have is will they be able to perform the upkeep on all the detail they have included. When the first Iowa or Wisconsin fan writes "sucks" under all the M's on the bathroom stall doors will "sucks" stay up there for season after season or will they perorm the needed upkeep?

Yeah, I'm sure they'll spend upwards of a quarter-billion dollars on a state-of-the-art stadium and subsequently allow it to fall into disrepair. Especially with Hogeye/Fadger vandalism. Facilities likes to turn the other cheek on stuff like that.

I think the detail is what will blow me away. All the M's....the landscaping....the Minnesota letters spelled out big on the plaza for the overhead shots.....plaque commemorating opening day...the tables in the club room with old gopher photos laminated on them, etc., etc.
My favorite detail I've seen so far was the Rouser written out in script on the chair cushion.

Quesiton, is the stadium in the U's hands yet? Or is it still officially under construction?

Got my second tour of the stadium yesterday. I'm uploading photos to Facebook as we speak and will provide a link when done. Some tidbits I picked up:
- The scoreboard fan was humming like crazy the whole time I was there, trying to keep the thing cool on a hot day. Loud, but will likely go unnoticed once people/music/other noise fill the stadium on game days.
- "National Championships" and "Big Ten Championships" lettering is up on the facade of the upper deck.
- The brick along the facade on the lower level is nearly complete. Pads will cover the brick in the end zones. Unfortunate, but necessary.
- Most of the black gates on the plaza will likely not be open for entry before the game. Fans will be directed to the main gates with stairs leading to the concourse.
- The Minnesota Tribal Nations Plaza looks quite nice and they certainly got their $10 worth with very prominent signage/waterfall.
- Goldy's Locker Room will probably open next week.
- The folks in charge of signage/art in the stadium have done a tremendous job. They left no stone unturned in prettying up bare walls. Some examples include: archived newspaper covers in the press box, photos of media in the press box, archived game program covers on the suite level, old and new photos of campus in the indoor club room, signage/photos of all U teams in the concourse, and a walking timeline of Gopher football greats in the concourse.
- The locker room continues to astound. New are photos of notable alumni on the facade above the lockers.
- Work is currently being done on the M Club Room and Training Table room. Look like they'll be done well before Sept. 12.
- Recruiting Room will have jerseys of Gophers in the NFL lining the walls, as well as a brushed aluminum state of Minnesota on the wall.
- There is a timeline (with photos) of all-time Gopher coaches just outside the coaches locker room.
- There is a timeline of Gopher football outside the locker room and recruiting room.
- There are Insignia flat panel TVs EVERYWHERE. Best Buy donated a ton of those things.
- The view from the President's Suite is incredible.
- They will be installing signage along the fencing on the top of the upper deck for Gopher bowl appearances.
- Just about everyone has their own locker room (officials, chain gang, Goldy, spirit squad, etc.).

- Recruiting Room will have jerseys of Gophers in the NFL lining the walls
That should impress some recruits.

signage/photos of all U teams in the concourse, and a walking timeline of Gopher football greats in the concourse.
I was hoping there would be something like this. I love walking around Mariucci before games/between periods looking at the old team photos.

- They will be installing signage along the fencing on the top of the upper deck for Gopher bowl appearances.

This is the first I've heard of this and I like it. It seems like every week something is added that makes the stadium better and better. The brick wall, the championships along the facade, now the signage for bowl appearances. They've thought of everything and then some.

The font they chose for the Nat'l Champs and B10 Champs on the upper deck looks great, it is a very classy simple choice. It's all coming together this is going to be a long month.

I know I ask this every time but my work blocks facebook. If anyone could post the pics on here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Will post them here when I can (should be before EOD). He has a ton of pics! :)

I don't want to re-ignite the debate, but looking at the club room, suites, etc. It bums me out that they won't be able to serve alcohol. I hate the idea that after all the attention to detail that went into this, that we might lose customers to the Vikings and their pillbox concrete bunker suites.

Let's hope we get this fixed whether it is for the whole stadium or just the suites!

Did they put them in the men's room? Always thoguht this was missing in the dome.

Great question. We never went in one of the public restrooms, but I'll try to find out if Insignia will be represented in there as well.

All-around class. Great stadium. Did not know they were putting people's pictures up in the locker room above each number? when was that decided? Can they be updated? I.e. will decker become the new #7 in the future? I lOVE this stadium, every little detail just makes it so much better!

All-around class. Great stadium. Did not know they were putting people's pictures up in the locker room above each number? when was that decided? Can they be updated? I.e. will decker become the new #7 in the future? I lOVE this stadium, every little detail just makes it so much better!

The idea of tributes was known a while ago (it was shared with me on my tour in Oct '08). They didn't say photos specifically so that particular variation of the idea may be newer.

I also really hope the U puts TVs in the restrooms. I hate missing plays waiting in line! Also, I'm really glad I have upper deck seats. The view from even the last row is great. The lower deck just seems like too low of a viewing angle to me.

Only gripe in the construction = end zone maroon does not match the seat's maroon. Everything else looks great!

Only gripe in the construction = end zone maroon does not match the seat's maroon. Everything else looks great!

Something I thought of today looking at hubbabubba's photos. The end zone maroon is much closer to the maroon being used everywhere else in the stadium (signs, etc). So maybe its the seats that don't match! ;)

Good luck to anyone with the balls to vandalize the stadium. If I see anyone try, they will be detained until security/police arrive, I suggest everyone else do the same.

Good luck to anyone with the balls to vandalize the stadium. If I see anyone try, they will be detained until security/police arrive, I suggest everyone else do the same.

If they are still alive by the time security gets there u mean, right?

The "University of Minnesota M TCF Bank Stadium" on the front of the press box looks really small to me. Also the exposed concerte isn't all that great either. Any way great photo gallery the stadium looks amazing.

It amazes me how critical some people on this board are. Are you serious about the size of the lettering and the exposed concrete? You have to be kidding me.
The endzones don't match the seats? Duh...you're not going to see the seats and endzones during games...people will be in the friggin seats. Obviously you guys are not architects because you would know that its virtually impossible to expect the same color in two totally different materials.
I understand everyone has their opinion but lets actually play a game before you start with the comments.

It amazes me how critical some people on this board are. Are you serious about the size of the lettering and the exposed concrete? You have to be kidding me.
The endzones don't match the seats? Duh...you're not going to see the seats and endzones during games...people will be in the friggin seats. Obviously you guys are not architects because you would know that its virtually impossible to expect the same color in two totally different materials.
I understand everyone has their opinion but lets actually play a game before you start with the comments.

Someone's chili is hot today...

I'll let you in on a secret. These are the same nitpicks folks have had for months now. You might say "wait until a game" but why? Playing a game isn't going to change these things. I'm in agreement with you about the colors/materials thing...but it IS a noticeable difference and guess what? There aren't any butts in the seats for the next month of photos/stories. I think its a silly thing to complain about but its certainly not something that most folks will miss visually. Just because the points are picky doesn't make them wrong. Chill out and let people find as many "flaws" as they'd like.

As far as I'm concerned when a little concrete, some slight color differences, and the food vendor are the major complaints while every other detail gets rave reviews I'd consider that a job well done. :)

We should be lucky to have a stadium at all, nontheless one of this quality.

Top Bottom