Got a question for you about paying student Athletes

The top level situation in the OP is very easy to understand: football tradition-rich states simply cannot allow California, or any other state, to legislate a built-in recruiting advantage over their state's schools. So they (the other states) must follow suit and create their own bills, allowing the same benefits.

The NCAA's hand is forced. It is done.

Now, it is up to the NCAA to study this issue in detail, and try to come up with language that will make everyone happy and be reasonable.

Wishful thinking. Once you get out of the online twitter mob echo chamber a lot of questions are being raised.

Wishful thinking. Once you get out of the online twitter mob echo chamber a lot of questions are being raised.

You can’t deny that multiple states are push bills to match CA’s.

He NCAA is goi to ban schools in California, Ohio, Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc?? No

I have nothing but speculation, to be crystal clear.

The G5 now have practically zero chance at getting a CFP invite, and still spend on 85 scholly etc. Though their budgets are still significantly less than P5 on average. I’m not sure what you mean that they’re raking in the cash?? Mostly no, as far as I know.

G5 and FCS full scholly football are huge cash losers at a majority of those schools, with some nice outliers of course. But they still do it. It’s a “nice to have”, football games in the fall is still considered by many as part of the student experience. Even at DII, DIII, NAIA.

Their are a few FCs and G5 schools in the black with their sports programs. When GSU was in FCS we were always in the black but not by much. Still many FCS and G5 schools are not. I don't know where GSU stands now after 3 bad years in football but I know that we are not filling our 28,00 seat stadium. As far as filling our stadium is concerned I blame a lot of it on losing and week day games. I believe winning would fix the Saturday home game attendance problems. Even many P5 schools are in the red & their are not many in the black.

For the FCS the playoffs dont help many of the low budget schools even with good team schools. When GSU was in FCS their were 16 teams. That means the best teams had to play at least 3 games durring the playoffs and 4 games if they made the National Championship. The lower ranked teams usually were on the road the most during the playoffs & many FCS schools went into the red attending the playoffs. Now I think their are 21 playoff spots.

Last edited:

I have nothing but speculation, to be crystal clear.

The G5 now have practically zero chance at getting a CFP invite, and still spend on 85 scholly etc. Though their budgets are still significantly less than P5 on average. I’m not sure what you mean that they’re raking in the cash?? Mostly no, as far as I know.

G5 and FCS full scholly football are huge cash losers at a majority of those schools, with some nice outliers of course. But they still do it. It’s a “nice to have”, football games in the fall is still considered by many as part of the student experience. Even at DII, DIII, NAIA.

Sorry I edited that later, meant they AREN'T raking in the cash.

TrueBlueDrew
https://www.wtoc.com/2019/10/23/ga-r...-profit-image/

[FONT="]In a statement, Mitchell said, “With this legislation, Georgia hereby joins a rapidly growing number of states that have filed similar legislation, or are in the process of doing so, including Florida, New York, South Carolina and Minnesota. Not only is this an idea whose time has come, but Georgia schools would be at a decisive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting with other states that join California in implementing this act, if we fail to do the same.”[/FONT]
Sadly the rapidly number or states that want to pay student athletes or allow the to profit on endorsements are stupid.

TALON- I dint know about you but the players that have scholarships are being payed for attending their collage for an education is payment. I ask you to look up how much it takes to go to a university for 4-5 years. The average student may have some scholarship money, but also have to take loans that they have to pay back. The athlete pays for his/her education with a scholarship. I have nothing against an athlete paying his way through collage with a scholarship.

The big schools maybe able to pay their players with stipends or allow them to make money on endorsements or pics.

This destroys the smaller schools ability to recruit.

This bill and the super powers of the P5 an bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will destroy college football as we have known it. The big schools will tear apart the conferences and form super groups that can afford the new situation. The big schools will get the best recruits way beyond what they get now (which is bad enough). Also, costs will escalate as bidding wars go on and many schools will have to drop football. Conference TV contracts that help all members will crumble away. That loss of income will impact other sports at these schools. This lunacy was started by minority groups claiming black players were "exploited" (full scholarships most people would die for is not enough, it seems). That's why super liberal CA is pushing it. The NCAA should stand firm and expel schools that allow payment to players. We will lose some big name schools, but a system that is fair to all will always have appeal to most. Paying football players will lead to paying basketball players, on and on, destroying amateur sports. You can imagine the corruption and graft that will accompany the new system.

You can’t deny that multiple states are push bills to match CA’s.

He NCAA is goi to ban schools in California, Ohio, Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc?? No

There seem to be some legitimate legal questions regarding state vs federal law being floated. This isn’t over because politicians floating proposals for votes say so.

If the schools operated a salary cap there wouldn’t even be a question as to whether the current situation is “fair”. This is 100% solely because coaches, ADs, staff are making stupid money for what they do. That is the professional/amateur worlds colliding and greed enters in in both sides. Self inflicted wounds but who is going to turn down the money. There has to be a disinterested third party. Once the tv money is up for grabs all kinds of things will snowball.

EXAMPLE

New NCAA Study Shows 23 Athletic Departments in the Black
Written by John Infante
The NCAA’s most recent Revenues and Expenses of Division I Athletic Departments report was released today. The document is a comprehensive look at athletic department finances across all of Division I, including private institutions which generally release less financial data. Like many NCAA research efforts, this report is released roughly every four years.
The highlights include:
23 athletic departments operated in the black last year, same as in 2011. By the NCAA’s definition, this means the school’s athletic department generated revenue exceeded expenses, and the athletic department needed no allocated revenue (i.e. subsidy) from the school to break even.
While revenues are going up, expenses are rising faster. Expenses in FBS were 10.8% in the last year, while revenues increased only 4.6%.
The median negative net generated revenue (generated revenue minus expenses) was a “loss” of over $12 million while the median positive net generated revenue was a “profit” of $8 million.

Supposedly by an NCAA review up until 2012 only 25 NCAA Divisions 1 schools are in the black with their sports programs.

I think if you look at 2018 the results will be about the same. As one of your posters said - This will be the death of collage football.

It appears that there will be an FCS, G5, P51 and P5 2.

I'm sorry but Collage football was not meant to make paid super stars but to educate. Your rewards should come after your education.

The rest of FCS, G5, and some FBS schools will be also runs.

Last edited:

There seem to be some legitimate legal questions regarding state vs federal law being floated. This isn’t over because politicians floating proposals for votes say so.

If the schools operated a salary cap there wouldn’t even be a question as to whether the current situation is “fair”. This is 100% solely because coaches, ADs, staff are making stupid money for what they do. That is the professional/amateur worlds colliding and greed enters in in both sides. Self inflicted wounds but who is going to turn down the money. There has to be a disinterested third party. Once the tv money is up for grabs all kinds of things will snowball.

GOOD POST!

Like I said the purpose of going to collage is to get an education in the field you want to participate in in and make a living at. It should be chosen carefully. Many switch jobs after a few years from their original degree, but if you did well you can switch over and learn on the job.

I worked hard for my degree as you on this board did. The student athlete, with a scholarships, get an education and get to play the sport that they love. ( 4 Aces)
Many Student athletes will not get a contract at a professional level & the super stars would not be noticed without an entire team effort yet they will not get the endorsement money.

AS a gopher fan stated - this will change the face of collage football and sub divide the P5 into the rich schools that can grab up the most elete players and the rest.

The great student athletes benefit from a full ride and exposure on TV. How many students seeking other degrees get that type of promotion after they graduate and not pay back loans?

Again I say, the purpose of collage is to gain a degree in something you are good at and hopefully will prepare you for a life long job that will support you financially and something you will enjoy doing. With full athletic scholarships the athlete is getting money from the average student at collage for an education.

I had to pay back my loans for the profession that I chose and enjoyed my choice until I retired!

While I agree that coaches salaries are a bit absurd, even if they had caps, people would still be able to see the school's raking in $100+M.

While I agree that coaches salaries are a bit absurd, even if they had caps, people would still be able to see the school's raking in $100+M.

If I ran the world the conference TV distributions (beyond an agreed on cap) would go towards, you know, the academic missions of the schools. Scholarships for deserving students, faculty support, research grants, etc not stupidly overpriced facilities and absurd salaries. Tens of millions per year are being thrown towards coaches that would still do the job for far less. Like the players the best of the best can move up to the NFL.

If I ran the world the conference TV distributions (beyond an agreed on cap) would go towards, you know, the academic missions of the schools. Scholarships for deserving students, faculty support, research grants, etc not stupidly overpriced facilities and absurd salaries. Tens of millions per year are being thrown towards coaches that would still do the job for far less. Like the players the best of the best can move up to the NFL.

This is a perfectly valid opinion/view on how college football should be. It's basically the early 1980's college football era, before TV was such a big deal.

I just don't think most people -- including most college football fans, and especially (probably all) admin-types -- want it to go back to that way.

These P5 programs are now, relatively, swimming in cash because of TV. And most of them spend the money. It doesn't get thrown into a huge mattress. People come, people go, coaches come and go, players come and go ... so what does it amount to? Short answer: facilities. Crazy improvement in facilities. And a lot of those facilities go towards making the athlete's quality of life better. Practice facilities, equipment, uniforms/gear, mountains of free food/nutrition, schools have full kitchen staff and nationalists employed, weight rooms, now academic centers are a big thing, and Fleck is even saying that they have it where kids can get mental health counseling (which I think is huge).

Also a lot of advertising for the school, too. Kids legit apply to a school because they think the football team is awesome. And donations of course.

So, there's that ... I would say, the cat is well out of the bag. Like, down the road from the bag.

Last edited:

My last post on the matter.

I don't mind scholarship money for the players. They offer a product for the school that the fans, alumni and students enjoy and something to rally around and promote the school.

VERY Important consideration - I feel that a full scholarship is payment for the STUDENT athlete. The money for the full ride can be looked at as a JOB the STUDENT athlete is doing for the school and profiting from not only for the short term in, paying for his/her education, but also in the long term with a degree that will hopefully provide the graduate with a long term, good paying job which he will hopefully enjoy for the next 30+ years.

On the news last night they reported that the average student loan holder owes $33,000 for a 4 year degree which he/she has to start paying for 9 months after graduation. Something that a Full Ride Scholarship for the Student athlete doesn't have to contend with after graduation while looking for work in his field of study.

We know not all athletes will be picked up for a pro position, but the Hype and exposure the Athlete received while in collage athletics is a perk that he/she couldn't pay for. Most Student athletes will join the job market with a payed for collage degree.

Friend of the Gopher Nation

TALON

www.gsufans.com

Last edited:

This is a perfectly valid opinion/view on how college football should be. It's basically the early 1980's college football era, before TV was such a big deal.

I just don't think most people -- including most college football fans, and especially (probably all) admin-types -- want it to go back to that way.

These P5 programs are now, relatively, swimming in cash because of TV. And most of them spend the money. It doesn't get thrown into a huge mattress. People come, people go, coaches come and go, players come and go ... so what does it amount to? Short answer: facilities. Crazy improvement in facilities. And a lot of those facilities go towards making the athlete's quality of life better. Practice facilities, equipment, uniforms/gear, mountains of free food/nutrition, schools have full kitchen staff and nationalists employed, weight rooms, now academic centers are a big thing, and Fleck is even saying that they have it where kids can get mental health counseling (which I think is huge).

Also a lot of advertising for the school, too. Kids legit apply to a school because they think the football team is awesome. And donations of course.

So, there's that ... I would say, the cat is well out of the bag. Like, down the road from the bag.

Useless fluff. All the facilities a student can dream of needing are provided by most schools, including tutoring, nutrition, mental health counseling. You’re making an argument 18-22 year old athletes can’t walk, ride, or bike to existing facilities like everyone else.

It’s never too late.

Top Bottom