Gophs back in the B10 title chase?

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
After tonight's action the Gophs are only 2 games back in the loss column. Run the table and finish 13-5.....

MSU (9-3) lose at Purdue and at home to OSU = 5 losses
Purdue (8-3) lose at Gophers and at home to Illinois = 5 losses
Illinois (9-3) lose at Michigan and at OSU = 5 losses
Becky (8-4) lose at Gophers = 5 losses
OSU (9-3) lose at Illinois and at home to Purdue = 5 losses

It's kinda scary to think we still actually have a shot. Boy, I dread that Indiana loss more and more.

If there was just one or two teams ahead of the Gophers, maybe. But there are 4 teams two losses up and another one loss up, and at least four of those teams are significantly better than the Gophers. It's not happening.

We also play Illinois still so if we ran the table then they wouldn't have to loose to michican and osu, also wouldn't michigan state have to loose 3 more times since they swept us?

Art-
Very surprised at this thread from you, it kind of looks optimistic? Could you bring a little of this Art to the fb board for a change?

I think this scenario is about as likely as getting home ice for the first round of the playoffs, but there is still a chance. Go get 'em!

Umm, there's one big problem. We're not good enough to run the table.

It's kinda scary to think we still actually have a shot. Boy, I dread that Indiana loss more and more.

Seriously. It really blows that we lost that game, as we would be firmly on the bubble now versus firmly off of it.

Art-
Very surprised at this thread from you, it kind of looks optimistic? Could you bring a little of this Art to the fb board for a change?

Nothing surprising from Art the troll here. Typical for an optimistic thread to be posted and then to return and be critical.

We also play Illinois still so if we ran the table then they wouldn't have to loose to michican and osu, also wouldn't michigan state have to loose 3 more times since they swept us?

Nope the B10 splits the regular season title. So in theory if everyteam finishes 9-9 they will all be delcared B10 regular season champs. Now that won't happen. But this year it is very possible that 2-3 teams could finish 14-4 which would spilt the title. Logically if any of the 3 loss team runs the table they will win it outright. Personally I think Purdue is in great position to do that. The Boilers only have 4 test left @Minn, @OSU, v. MSU and v. Ill. all of which are winnable. Now think about if they didn't blow the OSU game when Hummel went off or they didn't lose at fricken NW.

I think Michigan State is still in the best position. Only 3 road games left, 2 of which are Penn State and Indiana.

Only difficult games remaining are OSU (home) and Purdue (road). I like the odds better of Sparty going 5-1. Even if Purdue sweeps the Spartans to hold a tiebreaker advantage, the Boilers have a much tougher task to go 5-1 the rest of the way.

No matter what happens, it's going to be a great race to follow. Contrary to what the tool (Hubert Davis) in the ESPN halftime studio said last night, the Big Ten has several teams capable of going deep into March.

Contrary to what the tool (Hubert Davis) in the ESPN halftime studio said last night, the Big Ten has several teams capable of going deep into March.

I heard him last night as well. Same guy that said last year he " just didn't like the way they play " in reference to the Big 10. Prick.

I'll bet you money Purdue doesn't go 4-0 in those 4 games.
No, they definitely won't. I'd be very surprised if we don't at least one of the OSU/MSU games.

Fortunately, nobody is going to win this conference with 3 losses. 4 will get it done.

No matter what happens, it's going to be a great race to follow. Contrary to what the tool (Hubert Davis) in the ESPN halftime studio said last night, the Big Ten has several teams capable of going deep into March.
Yeah, that was BS, to say the least...I'm so sick of ESPN and their craptastic ACC/BigEast "analysts".

ESPN continues to master "perception"

I knew as soon as Hubert Davis opened with "I like the Big Ten, but. ...."

he was going to do a hatchet job on the Big 10. His comment about the emphasis on defense was weak. So if teams play defense, they can't beat anybody in March? My immediate question to Davis would be, "What about the ACC"? Please tell me which teams in that conference can go "deep into March" this season. Maybe Duke, but that's about it from what I can see. Bilas, to his credit, pointed out Michigan State & Purdue last year, and mentioned that a superstar like Turner could carry a team to a Final Four. Also a shout-out to Brent Musberger, who in the second half called out Davis.

The bottom line is the Big 10 isn't sexy enough for ESPN. ESPN saves its highest praise for the Big East and ACC. It's just the way it's always going to be. All the Big 10 can do, unfortunately, is sit back & let ESPN shape their viewers' perception, yet continue to show its depth in March.

Since 2000, only the Big East has more appearances by its current programs (6) in the Final Four (Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Syracuse, UConn, Villanova) than the Big 10, and two of those (Louisville & Marquette) were members of Conference USA at the time. In that same span the Big 10 has had 5 different programs (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin) represent their conference in the Final Four. From what I saw last night Purdue has a pretty decent chance of making it 6 this March.

Wanna' know how many different schools have represented Hubert Davis' beloved ACC in the Final Four since 2000? Four, Duke & Carolina (wow, a real shocker there), Maryland and Georgia Tech. That's the same number as the Big 12.

Art--that had to be sarcastic

I am sure you had fun posting that one.

After tonight's action the Gophs are only 2 games back in the loss column. Run the table and finish 13-5.....

MSU (9-3) lose at Purdue and at home to OSU = 5 losses
Purdue (8-3) lose at Gophers and at home to Illinois = 5 losses
Illinois (9-3) lose at Michigan and at OSU = 5 losses
Becky (8-4) lose at Gophers = 5 losses
OSU (9-3) lose at Illinois and at home to Purdue = 5 losses

What is happening here? Art has a positive post?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I would have to say no they are not in contention for the title. They are two shots away from being right in the race though, Indiana and Michigan State. Would've, could've, should've been.

It's kinda scary to think we still actually have a shot

Common man soundboard - "YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!"

I knew as soon as Hubert Davis opened with "I like the Big Ten, but. ...."

he was going to do a hatchet job on the Big 10. His comment about the emphasis on defense was weak. So if teams play defense, they can't beat anybody in March? My immediate question to Davis would be, "What about the ACC"? Please tell me which teams in that conference can go "deep into March" this season. Maybe Duke, but that's about it from what I can see. Bilas, to his credit, pointed out Michigan State & Purdue last year, and mentioned that a superstar like Turner could carry a team to a Final Four. Also a shout-out to Brent Musberger, who in the second half called out Davis.

The bottom line is the Big 10 isn't sexy enough for ESPN. ESPN saves its highest praise for the Big East and ACC. It's just the way it's always going to be. All the Big 10 can do, unfortunately, is sit back & let ESPN shape their viewers' perception, yet continue to show its depth in March.

Since 2000, only the Big East has more appearances by its current programs (6) in the Final Four (Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Syracuse, UConn, Villanova) than the Big 10, and two of those (Louisville & Marquette) were members of Conference USA at the time. In that same span the Big 10 has had 5 different programs (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin) represent their conference in the Final Four. From what I saw last night Purdue has a pretty decent chance of making it 6 this March.

Wanna' know how many different schools have represented Hubert Davis' beloved ACC in the Final Four since 2000? Three, Duke & Carolina (wow, a real shocker there) and Maryland. That's less than the Big 12, too, which has sent four. What great depth the ACC has (tongue in cheek).

Agree with all of this, but you forgot Georgia Tech making the FF in 2004.

I'll bet you money Purdue doesn't go 4-0 in those 4 games.

I'll pass but I truely think Purdue has a legitimate shot of running the table. Of the 4 tough
conference games remaining I would handycap them

1. vs Ill-Purdue beat Ill fairly soundly at Assembly Hall with a rocking Orange Crush. Now think about switching Assembly Hall for Mackey Arena, Purdue should win-75% of a Purdue W.

2. vs MSU-Same thing as Ill but MSU is a better team I think will have more to play for seeding wise(I think Ill pretty much locked up a bid last night barring a complete breakdown by the Illini which is possible)-62.5% chance of a Purdue W.

3. @ Minn-I don't think they Gophers can run with Purdue but its in the Barn and the Gophers will be fighting for there NCAA lives-50% chance of a Purdue W.

4. @ O$U-Purdue will be out for revenge but the Buckeyes have the best player in the nation in Turner and Purdue has never won in Value City Arena-40% of Purdue W.

Will Purdue run the table most likely not but I'll take our chances.

I would say let's not play the games anymore and just let the talking heads at ESPN pick 'em. I'd rather have a beer than listen to them. But then again, ain't nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Thanks for the correction WAG. I'm off my game. I'll add 'em to the ACC's list, begrudgingly of course.

I'll pass but I truely think Purdue has a legitimate shot of running the table. Of the 4 tough
conference games remaining I would handycap them

1. vs Ill-Purdue beat Ill fairly soundly at Assembly Hall with a rocking Orange Crush. Now think about switching Assembly Hall for Mackey Arena, Purdue should win-75% of a Purdue W.

2. vs MSU-Same thing as Ill but MSU is a better team I think will have more to play for seeding wise(I think Ill pretty much locked up a bid last night barring a complete breakdown by the Illini which is possible)-62.5% chance of a Purdue W.

3. @ Minn-I don't think they Gophers can run with Purdue but its in the Barn and the Gophers will be fighting for there NCAA lives-50% chance of a Purdue W.

4. @ O$U-Purdue will be out for revenge but the Buckeyes have the best player in the nation in Turner and Purdue has never won in Value City Arena-40% of Purdue W.

Will Purdue run the table most likely not but I'll take our chances.

Based on my rudimentary understanding of statistics your percentages given above would give the Boilers a 9.375% chance of winning all four. Ignoring the percentages given above do you think they have a better chance than that of getting all four?

winning all four is simple statistics: .5 X .5 X .5 X .5 = 6.25% chance. In the BigTen it's like flipping the proverbial coin 4 times and getting 4 tails in a row. No one can predict the chances very accurately, only express an opinion.

winning all four is simple statistics: .5 X .5 X .5 X .5 = 6.25% chance. In the BigTen it's like flipping the proverbial coin 4 times and getting 4 tails in a row. No one can predict the chances very accurately, only express an opinion.

I must disagree. It really isn't simple statistics at all. You are right in saying that you cannot predict the chances precisely, but to say that the probability of winning any Big 10 game is .5 is a bit short-sighted. According to your "simple statistics," the majority of teams in the big ten would end up 9-9. I think it's perfectly fine to estimate probabilities for purpose of this forum. If you really feel like all of those games are 50/50, then that's your opinion.

Would you have thought that Illinois had a 50% chance of winning the game last night against the Badgers? I would hope not, and that's why it was such a big deal that it happened.

I'll go one better, if we win all the rest of our games this season, we'll be national champs.

Top Bottom