Gophers Wrestling 2023-24 Season

clayton whiting transfers from missouri to minnesota. Was Missouri's 184 starter for most of last season. Clayton is a 4 time Wisconsin state champ

backup at 184 perhaps? max mcenelly looks to be the gopher's 184 starter next season
Maybe 174 or 197? Looks like a top tier get and Sparks and Joles are gone, though Gavin Nelson is pretty stiff competition at 197.

Maybe 174 or 197? Looks like a top tier get and Sparks and Joles are gone, though Gavin Nelson is pretty stiff competition at 197.
i've seen clayton anywhere from #2 to #7 nationally at 182 coming out of HS. McEnelly was #2 at 195, but now wrestles 184. maybe 174 but gophers have riddle and others already with millard (#3 ranked i think) and others coming in

so yep, i have no clue how this shakes out

edit: clayton will wrestle at 174

Last edited:

i've seen clayton anywhere from #2 to #7 nationally at 182 coming out of HS. McEnelly was #2 at 195, but now wrestles 184. maybe 174 but gophers have riddle and others already with millard (#3 ranked i think) and others coming in

so yep, i have no clue how this shakes out

edit: clayton will wrestle at 174
I think Millard beats out Brenner at 165, which would leave Whiting at 174, McEnelly at 184, G. Nelson at 197 and Hopke at Hwt. That’s the best bottom five I’ve seen in years for the Gophers and we could have multiple all Americans, though I think they’d be a year away from being a true force.

Robideau will come in to replace Askey the year after next so we’re also set there but I’m hoping we can add some star power in the lighter weights and we might be a top 5 team with an outside shot of knocking off OSU or Iowa but behind PSU, who are ridiculous. Again, this is more looking toward 2026 than next year.

looks like wyatt hendrickson will make a visit to MN (as well as OSU, Mizz and Mich)
3 place finisher in 2024 at 285 for Air Force and has permission to wrestle one more year

Vance VomBaur's older brother Will hit the transfer portal. Listed at 125 as a Sr from Northern Colorado, though I don't see that he wrestled last season. Originally wrestled for Air Force.

Will was a team and classmate of Isaiah Salazar at Windsor High school. Windsor had quite the team back then

Speaking of VomBaurs, the youngest brother, Drake, might be the best wrestler yet

Top Bottom