Gophers will go 4-4 in the Big Ten

die hard gopher

Reaction score
Wins over Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

You heard it here first.

Wins over Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

You heard it here first.
That's pretty optimistic - depends on how Croft develops (assuming he's allowed to). Can't see a win over Nebraska at this stage unless we can pass a lot, which is not Kill's MO.

4 and 4 would be good...if...the wins are over Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin...

That's pretty optimistic - depends on how Croft develops (assuming he's allowed to). Can't see a win over Nebraska at this stage unless we can pass a lot, which is not Kill's MO.

Are you watching Nebraska play Illinois right now? Both teams suck. The B1G (with the exception of a few teams) is really not strong in football this year.

Are you watching Nebraska play Illinois right now? Both teams suck. The B1G (with the exception of a few teams) is really not strong in football this year.

The Big West is the equivalent to the SEC east.

And that makes the beginning of this season even more frustrating. It's as wide open as it will ever be in the Big Ten, especially the west. And we are stinking it up.

No chance. 3 wins would be overachieving with this clown show of an offense.

I think we're staring 0-8 in the face myself.

So if we finish 7-5 in the weak west, is that acceptable given last year's performance? Many suggested this would be a better team with a tougher schedule.

Yeah, OSU might not even go bowling this year either. There losing to Indiana ya know....

I don't particularly care what OSU does. I care what our team does. And in this case, does not.

4-4 is not acceptable when the goal was 6-2.

Coming into this season 4-4 would have been disappointing, but at this point I think we need to readjust our expectations for the Big 10 season. 4-4 would be a solid showing given our offensive issues.

And can we still be critical throughout and following the season if we end up 4-4? Absolutely. But 4-4 should no longer be considered an abject failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming into this season 4-4 would have been disappointing, but at this point I think we need to readjust our expectations for the Big 10 season. 4-4 would be a solid showing given our offensive issues.

And can we still be critical throughout and following the season if we end up 4-4? Absolutely. But 4-4 should no longer be considered an abject failure.

I don't agree with coaches being able to play their way into lower expectations by disappointing early in the season. This staff should be held to whatever expectations we had for them at the start of the year.

I don't agree with coaches being able to play their way into lower expectations by disappointing early in the season. This staff should be held to whatever expectations we had for them at the start of the year.

I clearly didn't explain myself very well. I agree that it's fair to be very disappointed with a 4-4 season, assuming that's where we end up.

But I think most people here would take a 4-4 season at this point given what we've seen so far. If anyone's still projecting 6 wins at this point you're crazy.

4-4 is not acceptable when the goal was 6-2.

I don't disagree. 4-4 is the minimum. 5-3 is neutral. 6-2 or better equals improvement. 3-5 or, Dog forbid, worse and there will be some serious fallout.

I have my doubts but here's to the USS Gopher somehow staying afloat.

image.jpeg

Did you see how many points Purdue put on m state?. Not sure that is a win.

I don't disagree. 4-4 is the minimum. 5-3 is neutral. 6-2 or better equals improvement. 3-5 or, Dog forbid, worse and there will be some serious fallout.

I have my doubts but here's to the USS Gopher somehow staying afloat.

View attachment 3844

You do realize, don't you, that there is a limit to the improvements in terms of win totals of teams and declines are a regular occurrence? I know a lot of Gopher fans on this page thought this team could win 6 Big Ten games but I didn't read many national sports pubs predicting that. Much depends upon the state of your opponents as well. Of the Gophers' five Big Ten wins last year, only two came against teams with winning records and Iowa finished the year only 7-6. This year Minnesota has to play a much improved Michigan, Northwestern, and Iowa.

Illinois is giving Nebraska all sorts of trouble in 10-0 game so far. Michigan State eeked out a 21-24 victory against Purdue. Indiana is leading tOSU 13-17. NW crunched the Gophers today. Iowa put on a wisky plate on Wisc winning 10-6.

The bottom tier from last year is getting stronger. There are no gimmies. Potentially, the Gophers can lose against Purdue next weekend. There will be a lot of soul searching.

Injuries play a key role in the Gopher's dismal start of B1G.

The Gophers may end up 2-6 in B1G if they don't get all three facets of their game recalibrated as a team.

You do realize, don't you, that there is a limit to the improvements in terms of win totals of teams and declines are a regular occurrence? I know a lot of Gopher fans on this page thought this team could win 6 Big Ten games but I didn't read many national sports pubs predicting that. Much depends upon the state of your opponents as well. Of the Gophers' five Big Ten wins last year, only two came against teams with winning records and Iowa finished the year only 7-6. This year Minnesota has to play a much improved Michigan, Northwestern, and Iowa.

Many talking heads predicted we'd win the west. That means 6 wins.

Yes, I do realize that. So let me be clear about my expectations:

I've come to the conclusion that I have been a Gopher fan for far too long. As part of becoming jaded after many years of disappointment, I'm no longer surprised and actually expect us to suck. I mean, for every perennial power, there has to be a constant bottom feeder and maybe that's just who we are, right?

During these times it has been especially difficult. Yeah, I drank the Kill cool aid and right now it tastes rather rank. I'm really hoping the start of this season is an aberration and that great things are just around the corner. However, I'm beginning to have some serious doubts.

It doesn't help that last year some well intentioned 20-something year old from the friendly U ticket office read from a script telling me that quadrupling my ticket prices was necessary and good for everyone including me. He suggested by doing so that it would help the U to finish consistently in top third of B1G (never mind that last year we did finish in the top third under the old prices but I guess that matters not). Oh, that's right, it wasn't an increase in ticket prices but rather a volunteer donation according to some GH's but I digress.

Just when I thought I moved into acceptance, I'm now having a relapse and want, no, I demand assurances that my modest increase in ticket prices will have positive results. I'm not expecting OSU results although it would be nice to beat them more regularly than once every 20-years, but I do think asking for Skunk or Hog-eye type results isn't too much to ask for. Getting to the B1G championship or occasionally winning some meaningless bowl games isn't asking for too much, is it?

So here's the deal, I believe Jerry and company get paid pretty well and moving forward I expect a return on my investment, or rather, I mean donation. Given what the ticket office told me, we better finish in the top half of the B1G 90-percent of the time or more and the top third at least 66-percent of the time based on a running three year average (I'm discounting Jerry's first two years since I'm a reasonable person). Anything less is simply unacceptable. Jerry is already behind so get this ship righted and give me my expected return!

There, my mega-bitch for the day.

I'm sure they also thought we could complete a pass on a regular basis.

We could push the rules committee to once again make the incomplete pass a 5 yard penalty. That would help us immeasurably.

Three wins are possible. I just don't see any more than that.

Top Bottom