Gophers: What does the 2023 running back room look like without Mo Ibrahim?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Wald:

Minnesota will look at lot different in 2023 under PJ Fleck. One of the biggest changes will be in the running back room. Mo Ibrahim is gone and off to test the NFL waters. Ibrahim set single-season school records in rushing attempts (320), yards (1,662) touchdowns (20), 100-yard games (10) and averaging 153.7 yards per game which he did in 2020. He has school records with 53 career rushing touchdowns, 24 career 100-yard games, five career 200-yard games and 19 straight 100-yard games.

The Gophers will also have a new running backs coach, after Kenni Burns left to be the next head coach at Kent State. So who gets the carries next season? Here’s a look at running back candidates:

TREY POTTS

Trey Potts is entering his fifth season with the Gophers and got 101 carries for 474 yards and three touchdowns in 2022, playing when Ibrahim needed a breather. He had 552 yards and six touchdowns in five games in 2021, before his season ended in a scary injury at Purdue. He has 1,147 career rushing yards, 10 touchdowns and is averaging 4.9 yards per carry.

BRYCE WILLIAMS

Bryce Williams is a sixth-year senior and in limited duty last season, he had 51 carries for 249 yards and three touchdowns. He played eight games in 2021, and had 186 yards and three touchdowns before suffering a season-ending leg injury. For his career, Williams has 227 carries for 974 yards and 11 touchdowns in 39 games. We’ll see if he gets a chance to be the lead back in 2023.

SEAN TYLER

PJ Fleck went to the transfer portal, and to his old program at Western Michigan, to bring Sean Tyler to Minnesota. Tyler ran for 1,000 yards in each of the past two seasons, averaging more than six yards per carry in the process. He had 16 touchdowns the last two seasons, and had 2,830 yards over four seasons with the Broncos. He averaged 17 carries per game on a team that ran for 136 yards per game last season.

DARIUS TAYLOR

Do not sleep on Darius Taylor. He’s an incoming freshman, but the Michigan native is one of the best players in Fleck’s 2023 recruiting class. Michigan made a late push to keep him home, but Taylor signed with Fleck and the Gophers. As a high school senior, Taylor set school records with 2,450 rushing yards and 36 touchdowns on 268 carries. He ran for 438 yards in one game, and had six touchdowns in a game three times. Don’t be surprised if the incoming freshman competes for carries. After all, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, among others, wanted his talent.

Also keep in mind Fleck is likely to change his offensive philosophy in 2023 and pass the ball more. Matt Simon will be calling plays, Athan Kaliakmanis is returning at quarterback and the Gophers’ receiver room is loaded with talent heading into next fall.

Go Gophers!!

Surprised no mention of Zach Evans
People from the outside have zero clue on who we are. Evans will show the coaches gave him some learning as they did to Mo before they unleashed him against Auburn.

People from the outside have zero clue on who we are. Evans will show the coaches gave him some learning as they did to Mo before they unleashed him against Auburn.
I'm hoping for some big things from Evans. It's going to be hard going from Mo as the feature back for years to someone new, and I don't expect Evans to do what Mo did (though that would be great and I'll subconsciously expect that at times because of how easy Mo made it look), but I think we're going to be more than okay.

Pin the donkey or spin the bottle!!! Its all a guess at this point.

We know what Potts and Bryce bring and both have had their moments. Will they both job share? Tyler could be the main guy too but haven't really looked at his film. I assume PJ thinks he is a BIG type back.

IMO, Taylor and Evans will both have to show some good stuff in order for them to take over for Mo. Both will be green but appear to have the tools.

This will be a very interesting development to watch during Spring and then into Fall camp. I hope they all stay healthy.

Taylor, Tyler, Evans are pair and a spare. Potts could move up if he’s fully recovered and Williams is dependable if there’s injuries. Williams the freshman most likely will be redshirted.

We will see how things are with the new RB Coach Nic Mckissic-Luke. His Huskies RBs were 2nd in the MAC in rushing last season. In 2021, the Huskies had the 4th best-rushing offense in the nation.

Which running backs will separate themselves? I think there are a lot of surprises in store.

Gopher Football is a desirable place for aspiring coaches climbing up the ladder.

Last edited:

Wald knew enough to mention an incoming freshman but glossed over a redshirt. He should have included Evans in there.

RB will be a very interesting position to watch in the spring and fall to see how it all shakes out. Gotta think Tyler is likely to be the #1 guy based on his years at WMU but great opportunity for all the guys to step up and try and fill Mo's shoes.

Wald knew enough to mention an incoming freshman but glossed over a redshirt. He should have included Evans in there.

RB will be a very interesting position to watch in the spring and fall to see how it all shakes out. Gotta think Tyler is likely to be the #1 guy based on his years at WMU but great opportunity for all the guys to step up and try and fill Mo's shoes.
We'll see soon. Some RBs coming out of HS are unmistakable tenderloin steaks that can be enjoyed immediately as Freshman starters. We hope that Darius Taylor is one of them.

Some require aging and tenderizing. David Cobb (and maybe Zach Evans) is the latter type. We can't give up on kids that quickly. Sure, there will be some bonafide duds.

The performance of the RBs is dependent on how well the OL blocks for them.

How about what Mo did to Georgia Tech as the Gophers closed 2018 with an unexpected rush? The Tech players acted as though they had never encountered someone like Mo and wanted no part of him. He had done the same thing to Purdue with snow flakes falling in Game 10.

Last edited:

if I had to guess, I would say that '23 is much more of a share-the-load situation - like the 2019 season where Mo, Smith and Brooks all got carries in a 3-back rotation.

depends on what the new OC's want to do - but I could see them doing a lot of mix-and-match depending on down & distance, field position, and what the opposing defense is doing.

If nothing else we have a very good idea of what a RB room without Mo Ibrahim (playing) looks like. Mo will be missed greatly but the Gophers were still a 9 win team in 2021 without him.

If the Gophers go more pass-heavy in 2023 skills like pass protection and receiving out of the backfield may be more in fashion. As others mentioned this fits Bryce Williams well. I think the Gophers end up establishing a 1st and 2nd down back and a pass-game back similar to what a lot of NFL teams do.

How about what Mo did to Georgia Tech as the Gophers closed 2018 with an unexpected rush? The Tech players acted as though they had never encountered someone like Mo and wanted no part of him. He had done the same thing to Purdue with snow flakes falling in Game 10.
Well said. Slowly worked him in behind two very good backs. Sad Brooks had the injury bug, his style of running was a joy to watch.

Well said. Slowly worked him in behind two very good backs. Sad Brooks had the injury bug, his style of running was a joy to watch.
Yes! The way he finished his runs reminded me of MBIII. That long touchdown run he had at Purdue in 2015 was unforgettable. Along the way, he threw down multiple tacklers like they were in junior high. Later, his openness about mental health was an inspiring contribution to the program. One of my very favorite Gophers.

gonna be a fun spring and fall ball for this position group.

Weird comment about "unleashing" Mo against Auburn given the fact that he rushed for over 1100 yards the year prior and had over 600 yards that season as a backup. Not even close to the same situation

Burns is best in market. He has Tyler as likely #1 with others (Potts, Williams, Evans, Taylor, Nubin) competing. Doesn't see Tyler as more than 15 carries a game type.
If he is right on the 15 a game thing than that will leave another 10-15 at least to go around among the other guys.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Isn’t these another incoming freshman, Marquese Williams, who is supposed to be a stud?

Weird comment about "unleashing" Mo against Auburn given the fact that he rushed for over 1100 yards the year prior and had over 600 yards that season as a backup. Not even close to the same situation
I can't disagree with you on this but, didn't injuries give him the playing time he needed to get those yards? The following year he accepted his role too the two in front him and handled it with grace.

Last edited:

Mo had a tremendous game against Auburn but it was hardly his coming out party. He had a great redshirt freshman season and was the MVP of the bowl that year with over 200 yards rushing.

I can't disagree with you on this but, didn't injuries give him the playing time he needed to get those yards? The following year he accepted his role too the two in front him and handled it with grace.

After his redshirt freshman year, I was irritated that he wasn't given a starting position as a sophomore but he also had some health issues during the first part of that season.

if I had to guess, I would say that '23 is much more of a share-the-load situation - like the 2019 season where Mo, Smith and Brooks all got carries in a 3-back rotation.

depends on what the new OC's want to do - but I could see them doing a lot of mix-and-match depending on down & distance, field position, and what the opposing defense is doing.
This is certainly true if for no other reason nobody but Mo could handle the beating of 30-plus carries week after week and be as strong at the end of the game as the beginning.

Only one Mo.

Top Bottom