Gophers were officially co-champions of the West

EKvnWWGXUAUwHty.jpg

Tying for the best record in your division is not a participation trophy. It is an accomplishment that means you had a great season. Not as good as winning the conference but it is far better then being an also ran.

Clearly you follow the Ricky Bobby school of thought where if "you ain't first your last".

Do the other teams in the conference post their division championships? If so, how do they do it? I guess I am OK with starting a wall in the concourse somewhere where we could start adding years with B1G West titles. Wait until we win one and get to play for the B1G title and then add whatever years we need to add. I like the way the years around the upper deck in the stadium are only for B1G titles and Nattys. I hope they don't try to add division titles there.

When will the t-shirts be printed? My Brew Crew and Jerrysota shirts are too worn and dirty for checking the oil in the truck and I need something fresh.

Putting up some sort of banner would cheapen what has been done in the past and could have been done this past year. Personally, I would find it bragging about a near miss. But, for some "kissing their sister" is as good as it gets in life. "We,re number three!! We're number three!!"

I am in agreement with you on the banner. Rather not even though it would be the first one in my lifetime and I am not that young, born in the 60s.

Furthermore, actually it would be a tie for 3rd as Penn St had the same overall conference record.

I found it pretty funny when Badger fans were tweeting this when they're the school that has Rose Bowl appearances on their ring of honor. (Not wins, just getting there).

As for the debate over putting the division co-champion up there, I don't think they should. I wouldn't want them to for an outright West title either. If our goal is truly to return to the success that we once had, then putting up something less than a B1G or National title will cheapen that. Division titles can be celebrated in the concourse or something, but that ring above the student section should be sacred.

Do the other teams in the conference post their division championships? If so, how do they do it? I guess I am OK with starting a wall in the concourse somewhere where we could start adding years with B1G West titles. Wait until we win one and get to play for the B1G title and then add whatever years we need to add. I like the way the years around the upper deck in the stadium are only for B1G titles and Nattys. I hope they don't try to add division titles there.

I honestly have no clue how other teams do it. Also don't know how that ring of honor is setup at TCF. If it is laid out just for conference championships then I would fully agree that a division championship would not belong up there.

I am just making the point that we shouldn't be ashamed to claim the title of Co-Champion of the Western division because that is in fact what we are. If we have a place for celebrating division championships then 2019 should absolutely be included.

My only issue is with the people saying we shouldn't even acknowledge it because it wasn't an outright title which somehow means it doesn't really count to them as a division title.

Yes, but in the name of common decency do not put up some sort of banner equating our clear second in the West with being co Big Ten champions. It would be clear and embarassing bragging over being third out of fourteen. Wonderfull, but not best of anything. Who brags about third best without looking phoney?

But the Gophers weren't second, let alone clearly second. Where the Gophers second in 1967?

TeamW L T W L T
Conf Overall
1967 Big Ten football standings
No. 4 Indiana +610 920
Minnesota +610 820
No. 9 Purdue +610 820
Ohio State520 630
Illinois340 460
Michigan340 460
Michigan State340 370
Northwestern250 370
Iowa061 181
Wisconsin061 091
  • + – Conference co-champions
Rankings from AP Poll
in 1967, the B1G officially was a 3-way tie in the regular season, as 3 teams finished with identical records. MN beat IND; PUR beat MN; IND beat PUR. So the Gophers were Co-Champions that year. Indiana was 9-1 overall; Gophers and Purdue 8-2 overall. Indiana was the only B1G team to go to a bowl game and lost to USC in the Rose Bowl. (OJ did not kill anyone during the bowl game)

If we hang a banner claiming we are co-champions of the Big Ten then yeah that would be pretty dumb since we are not. And to be clear I don't think I have ever heard anyone try to claim that we are. We are co-champions of the Big Ten West Division.
Heck, not even PJ has claimed that. :)

I am in agreement with you on the banner. Rather not even though it would be the first one in my lifetime and I am not that young, born in the 60s.

Furthermore, actually it would be a tie for 3rd as Penn St had the same overall conference record.

But we did, at least, beat them head to head.?

If division championships are put up on the ring in TCF Bank Stadium, I recommend simply adding the word "west" in smaller text directly under the year, rather than trying to add a whole new category and make the ring more busy looking than it is right now.

I think there should be a spot in the concourse where they start a list of years being West champ (or co-champ). Add them to the plaque as they happen. Definitely not on the main facade.

But the Gophers weren't second, let alone clearly second. Where the Gophers second in 1967?

1967 is not an apples to apples comparison.

- I967 was for the Conference, not just a Division.
- It was a 3 way tie, and each team was 1-1 vs the other Tri-Champions.

Honestly, the B1G should just make the tiebreakers that determine who plays in the conference championship also decide the divisional champion. No more co-champs.

Only Big 10 Championships, Rose Bowl Appearances and Retired Numbers are on the east facade at Camp Randall.

So, where does Wisconsin post its national championships?

Oh... wait...

Top Bottom