Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

As far as airfare costs go, my wife had a theory. She flies to PHX for work about every other month - she's going next week. She said that every time she's flown lately, they've been fairly large planes.

At least on the Delta flights that week, the planes are smaller, making for scarcer seats.

Last edited:

Lots of talk about airfare. My son, friend, and I are flying to Vegas and renting a car to go to Phx for the game. It's a 4 hr drive so not short by any means but very doable if you've ever so much as road tripped to another big ten game. We struck out renting from the Vegas airport location but we got a reservation at another Enterprise location and are just going to uber over there for it.

Roundtrip to Vegas for these dates can still be had for less than $400. Get creative!

Lots of talk about airfare. My son, friend, and I are flying to Vegas and renting a car to go to Phx for the game. It's a 4 hr drive so not short by any means but very doable if you've ever so much as road tripped to another big ten game. We struck out renting from the Vegas airport location but we got a reservation at another Enterprise location and are just going to uber over there for it.

Roundtrip to Vegas for these dates can still be had for less than $400. Get creative!
You were smart to rent off-airport anyway. The airport taxes on rental cars in Vegas are really high.
Have fun!

Lest someone (ahem) claim we aren't supporting the Gophers because I decided not to drop over 2 grand to go to the G-rate bowl... Instead I got us really good tickets for the Gophers vs. Alcorn State that week. It will be the boy's first trip to the Barn and I'm pretty excited.

As far as airfare costs go, my wife had a theory. She flies to PHX for work about every other month - she's going next week. She said that every time she's flown lately, they've been fairly large planes.

At least on the Delta flights that week, the planes are smaller, making for scarcer seats.
What's "big" vs "small"?

A330 vs A320?

Lest someone (ahem) claim we aren't supporting the Gophers because I decided not to drop over 2 grand to go to the G-rate bowl
He lives in Arizona. No idea if he mentioned that already, I usually skip over his posts.

Just bought tix to the crazy overpriced pregame through the Athletic Dept. But looking forward to Gophers in the dessert.

Still not sneezing reasonable tickets and even checked vegas but the rental car rates are crazy too from there. Anyone have good luck? I found last minute flights to TAmpa so maybe will hold out

If you're willing to fly out of Duluth, and willing to leave Christmas Eve and return Monday Jan 3, tickets are like $150.

Weekly parking at Duluth airport looks like around $80.

They have non-stops on Monday's and Friday's. But obviously people have already jumped on Mon Dec 27 to Fri Dec 31, those are now in the $500 range.

If you're willing to fly out of Duluth, and willing to leave Christmas Eve and return Monday Jan 3, tickets are like $150.

Weekly parking at Duluth airport looks like around $80.

They have non-stops on Monday's and Friday's. But obviously people have already jumped on Mon Dec 27 to Fri Dec 31, those are now in the $500 range.
Haha flying out of Duluth and paying for 10 nights of hotels in PHX would be way more expensive than just popping for a $900 direct MSP>PHX

Just bought tix to the crazy overpriced pregame through the Athletic Dept. But looking forward to Gophers in the dessert.
I'm debating doing the official pregame thing, but $100/head is completely absurd. Open bar and food included is nice, but the thing only lasts 2 hours so will probably find our own pregame action.

Haha flying out of Duluth and paying for 10 nights of hotels in PHX would be way more expensive that just popping for a $900 direct MSP>PHX
Depends if you can justify it as a vacation to a warm locale. Stay at a resort. Go see Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc.

It would work for a very low percentage of people, no question.

I'm debating doing the official pregame thing, but $100/head is completely absurd. Open bar and food included is nice, but the thing only lasts 2 hours so will probably find our own pregame action.
I wanted to do that in Tampa, but at that price it is very much not a 'family' event. Me ... maybe I'd spend $100 ... kids? Nope.

Still not sneezing reasonable tickets and even checked vegas but the rental car rates are crazy too from there. Anyone have good luck? I found last minute flights to TAmpa so maybe will hold out
Rent a car at a non airport Vegas location. Much more reasonable. The Missus and I are flying into Vegas.

Not to mention not everyone can take that many days off work.
Hence why "if you're willing ..." was used.

I guess English is not your native language, or you struggle with reading.

Hence why "if you're willing ..." was used.

I guess English is not your native language, or you struggle with reading.
Isn't everything about attending a sporting event technically "if you're willing"?
Also I wasn't replying to your post. I was adding to someone else's. So just mind your own business.

Last edited:

Just got our tickets. We bought through the U and bought the "premium" tickets. We are in section 127 which appears to be at the 10 yard line. How the hell is that considered a "premium" ticket? If I'd have known that, I would have bought on my own through one of the available ticket sources.

Just got our tickets. We bought through the U and bought the "premium" tickets. We are in section 127 which appears to be at the 10 yard line. How the hell is that considered a "premium" ticket? If I'd have known that, I would have bought on my own through one of the available ticket sources.
Ditto. We got section 126. W T F?

Isn't everything about attending a sporting event technically "if you're willing"?
Hence why correct wording was used, for if you're willing to fly out of Duluth and if you're willing to make it a week+ long trip.

Troll

I've read some crazy stuff here, but this could be the worst idea I've ever read.

MNVCGUY explains it well - the money is split. Please Gopher028; do 1 minute of research.

Opting out (in protest) because you think you're bigger/better than the bowl system is a guaranteed way to never get a decent bowl and to disrupt alumni support.

Fortunately the team does not feel the same way as you - if they did, WV could be the next Bowling Green/Illinois. Please keep your temper tantrums off the board. It lowers the overall IQ.
No shit, everyone knows this but the payout per bowl depicts the quality of the bowl. Obviously, and was my point.

Do 1 minute of common sense thinking...oy

Yep. Same here. Section 127 Row 32.

Yea... we got F9 Row 5. That's like the goal line row 5, so won't be able to see a thing. Premium my ass. Should have done end zone club for less money. :(

Top Bottom