Gophers vs Lobos 2021

jblass

Reaction score
How about it? Would be a decent non-conference matchup. Would generate a lot of fan interest. Don’t imagine the Gophers would be interested though. It would be too embarrassing if you were to lose to your former coach.

Last edited:

If you’re worried that Pitino’s makeshift squad would beat you—you hired the wrong coach. Pitino has zero advantages. Crappy team, in a lesser conference and he is a terrible coach per GH.
Johnson is a better coach (in theory) with a Big Ten team (kind of). If you won’t play the Lobos you shouldn’t have big time hoops.

If you’re worried that Pitino’s makeshift squad would beat you—you hired the wrong coach. Pitino has zero advantages. Crappy team, in a lesser conference and he is a terrible coach per GH.
Johnson is a better coach (in theory) with a Big Ten team (kind of). If you won’t play the Lobos you shouldn’t have big time hoops.
What's the upside in playing them?

I'm afraid they'd kick our ass if we did it this coming year.

I hate to say it, but I think we would lose. This first year will be like a training on the job program for BJ.

Feel fortunate Thorson came over, otherwise this staff might look like an ugly step-child.

I hate to say it, but I think we would lose. This first year will be like a training on the job program for BJ.

Feel fortunate Thorson came over, otherwise this staff might look like an ugly step-child.
Yeah I can't imagine an assistant for over 15 years has any idea how to coach a team.

If you’re worried that Pitino’s makeshift squad would beat you—you hired the wrong coach.

I strongly disagree. Yes, we would hopefully beat them, but are you really going to judge the hire based on the team he assembles last minute for his first season? A lot of really successful coaches had shitty teams in their first season. Gotta see the bigger picture and not be shortsighted. If we're afraid to play them 3 years in, that's a different story.

Well, there’s always St Thomas.

I strongly disagree. Yes, we would hopefully beat them, but are you really going to judge the hire based on the team he assembles last minute for his first season? A lot of really successful coaches had shitty teams in their first season. Gotta see the bigger picture and not be shortsighted. If we're afraid to play them 3 years in, that's a different story.
Agreed. But pitino is doing the same thing. If he can’t last minute assemble a team better than the coach we just fired that isn’t good.

What's the upside in playing them?
Easy win. Playing an inferior coach with a new roster from a lesser conference. If you disagree with any of that then either 1) Johnson was the wrong hire or 2) Pitino shouldn’t have been fired

Easy win. Playing an inferior coach with a new roster from a lesser conference. If you disagree with any of that then either 1) Johnson was the wrong hire or 2) Pitino shouldn’t have been fired
Absord.

Yeah I can't imagine an assistant for over 15 years has any idea how to coach a team.

Knowing what being a "head coaching" is like, versus having the in-game experience of decision making and roster management is totally different than being an assistant coach.

So yes, I would expect RP to beat BJ from a pure coaching perspective his first year.

Also look at this:

As it turns out almost all NBA teams are impatient with their coaches even when compared to other sports. The median and mean years of tenure of head coaches in the NBA, the NFL and Division I college basketball coaches heading in to the seasons this fall are:

• NBA: median tenure is 2 years and mean tenure is 2.61 years
  • NFL: median tenure is 3 years and mean tenure is 4.09 years
  • NCAA Division I Basketball: median tenure is 3 years and mean tenure is 5.03 years

if "every" assistant coach is guaranteed to be a successful head coach, why is their tenure so short?

there are 350 D1 bball programs and only 64 get in the tournament.

I would have zero issues at all starting a home and home series with any Mountain West team not named San Jose St, Fresno St, Wyoming, and Air Force. Good for the players, fans, and typically your nonconference NET. Heck of a lot better than playing the Alabama State's of the world.

Penn St and Rutgers have a current home and home with UMass.

I would have zero issues at all starting a home and home series with any Mountain West team not named San Jose St, Fresno St, Wyoming, and Air Force. Good for the players, fans, and typically your nonconference NET. Heck of a lot better than playing the Alabama State's of the world.

Penn St and Rutgers have a current home and home with UMass.
We already have a home and home with Mississippi State starting this year, plus the ACC game and probably a Big East game. I'm not sure how many more we want. Every game will be a challenge.

I am sure Pitino would agree to play the game. If he loses he can say what great shape he left the program in and if NM wins he can say wins follow him.

Top Bottom