Gophers via Lens of Oregon vs USC, Bucky

spermophilus

Reaction score
Was spared watching our Gophers Saturday, as I was only following the game on my phone, while driving with 5 other friends in Oregon en route to an early tailgate at Autzen Stadium for the Ducks/Trojans game.

It was bittersweet watching Bucky Irving play, and seeing and being reminded of how good he is. But, we have - and have had - abundant running back talent of our own. What really is striking is the ridiculous talent on display from Oregon’s passing attack, and how that makes Irving (and their other great back, Jordan James) really special. Bo Nix and the receivers, who ran away from USC’s DBs, were so very impressive. Also, I had been a little skeptical of Caleb Williams, but he has special talent as well, and when viewed with your own eyes, live. Both QBs have a real presence. The “it” factor.

The comparative lack of the passing game in our own backyard (I intentionally mean the entire B1G West) to the “modern” offensives out West is jarring. What could a running attack - like ours - do with a complementary comparable aerial attack? The mind wanders.

The whole (annual) experience only reinforces my love of the game, and, in an odd sort of way, our Gophers. The landscape of the game is changing, but we should treasure each of the Gopher Saturdays we have on campus, outdoors. Enjoy the experiences, the tailgates, the memories. Don’t blindly follow - of course - as our program is in need of criticism/self-reflection, and as some changes must happen, and presently.

Our stadium, for a big game, with all the associated gameday activities, and especially when we are firing/playing capably, is as good an atmosphere/experience as any. I hope everyone can appreciate that, and what we have, while simultaneously demanding and expecting even better things.

I think every team runs away from the USC defensive backs. They have given up more points in their last 6 games than Iowa has in over 2 seasons.

Oregon WR Troy Franklin had the fastest top-out speed of the week at 22.3 MPH 🏎️

Via @RAanalytics

Top Bottom