Gophers using heating coils for games?

I find it hard to believe the coils (even if they are still there) would be very effective anyways. Studies show that heaters are much less effective in open air environments. Probably would have worked better in the Dome.

I find it hard to believe the coils (even if they are still there) would be very effective anyways. Studies show that heaters are much less effective in open air environments. Probably would have worked better in the Dome.
I heard they only work well in warm weather.

Heating coils won’t work without a tarp over the field - do they still have the heating coil tarp?

Wrong, they do not work unless there is a full moon. The heated tarp is used only when there is not a full moon. BUT, when Jupiter aligns with Mars, the mini coils in the actual blades of grass which is real by the way start working. You guys know the field is air conditioned too right? When its hot, cool air comes up from the cooling coils.

I heard from my source that the tarp mysteriously vanished when Claeys left town.
tarp-30198.jpg

Whatever happened to dpodoll? The flight tracking guy who snapped pics at the Anoka County Airport. He could get to the bottom of this.

Too bad they didn't put coils in the concrete part of the stadium to keep fans feet warm.
That would have been nice, but Maturi was too cheap I guess still paying of Mason's contract.

Speaking of badger Joel I don’t think in a million years P.J. would have taken the job with him here. Jerry kill was like the 5th choice right???

Heating coils won’t work without a tarp over the field - do they still have the heating coil tarp?

Don't forget the magnets. The tarp needs the magnets to create a hyperactive heat zone. Heard they were used to reinforce some of the walls in the new athlete's village.

I was thinking that maybe they could reuse the coils that were removed from TCF (if they still have them) to warm the grass in Northrop Mall for Gameday. It's going to be chilly, and that extra warmth would be appreciated.

The Vikings took the coils out of TCF and placed them in US bank stadium in case the heat went out.

There are no heating coils buried under TCF, unlike Jimmy Hoffa who is buried under the Giants stadium

Those cheerleaders are tough. Why is the flamethrower operator wandering aimlessly?

Some facts about the TCF Bank Stadium Aquatherm Hydronic (Heating) Piping System.

Here are some information in regards to the piping system that heats up the TCF Bank Stadium turf.

Whether it is still there or not has been debated ad nauseum. IMHO, it is critical to have it given the injuries that can occur playing on a frozen field. Even if it is for one or two games a season. Losing key players can change the fortunes or outcome of a football season. It is ludicrous to uninstall the system.

An injury in a championship game like tomorrow due to a frozen turf can be the difference in losing the Big Ten West championship. Is it worth every penny spent on maintaining a heating system? I'd say yes for the protection of our players. There will be years where the weather can get a dip in the thermometer as early as October.

The air temperature for Saturday's game hover around 34-35 deg F. However, the ground temperature may be much lower after a few sub-freezing temperature this season already.

For sure there are added costs to maintaining any heating and cooling system as the second article alluded to. However, the benefits far outweigh the cost.

es0215-cip-aquatherm-615.jpg

Minnesota Vikings eliminate frozen field with hydronic heating system.
Engineered Systems Magazine, February 3, 2015

https://www.esmagazine.com/articles...ate-frozen-field-with-hydronic-heating-system

You may have to click twice on this link:

Last edited:

Top Bottom