Gophers' Tyler Nubin viewed as potential 2024 first-round pick

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

One of the top names already getting attention for the 2024 NFL Draft is Minnesota Golden Gophers safety Tyler Nubin.

The fifth-year senior announced in December that he was returning for his final year of eligibility, and if the early projections are accurate it could pay off big time as he could hear his name called in the first round of the NFL Draft. Dane Brugler, the top draft analyst for The Athletic, has Nubin among the players going in the first round of his way-too-early 2024 mock draft.

"Nubin would have been a Day 2 pick had he declared for the 2023 draft, but he elected to return to Minnesota for his senior year. With his athleticism and opportunistic ball skills, he has NFL starting ability," Brugler wrote, predicting Nubin as the 32nd overall pick.

Nubin was second team All-Big Ten in 2022 after finishing with 55 tackles and a team-leading four interceptions, and according to Pro Football Focus he was the best safety in the country in terms of completion percentage allowed in his coverage.

Go Gophers!!

If Walley decides to enter, there will be three sure fire draft picks for the Gophers next year (Nubin, BSF, and Walley). It'll be interesting to see if anyone else will be able to play their way into the draft.

Great news. Being viewed now as a “potential first round pick in 2024” could mean he gets drafted early third round or even as high as late second round with a big 2023 season.

Last edited:

Please tell me it's not Todd McShay as well.

If Walley decides to enter, there will be three sure fire draft picks for the Gophers next year (Nubin, BSF, and Walley). It'll be interesting to see if anyone else will be able to play their way into the draft.
A couple of our one year eligibility transfers might …

Crooms will be drafted if he’s healthy all year. Carroll with a real chance also. Ersery as well.

All assuming they declare and what not.

Crooms will be drafted if he’s healthy all year. Carroll with a real chance also. Ersery as well.

Is Crooms that good? That would be something considering he might only be the 4th best receiver on the roster.

That's a good point. Not much chatter about Carroll and Erserey, and I don't know why. Would think Carroll would be more of lock due to exposure (Notre Dame), but if Erserey comes out and knocks it out of the park, they both have what it takes. Good thinking. Crooms would be an absolute steal if he comes in as a transfer and gets drafted. What a transfer recruiting selling point.

I hope you're right, and I agree.

Is Crooms that good? That would be something considering he might only be the 4th best receiver on the roster.

Ryan James had him as 4th most likely to be drafted behind Nubin, BSF and Sean Tyler

per Chad:

One of the top names already getting attention for the 2024 NFL Draft is Minnesota Golden Gophers safety Tyler Nubin.

The fifth-year senior announced in December that he was returning for his final year of eligibility, and if the early projections are accurate it could pay off big time as he could hear his name called in the first round of the NFL Draft. Dane Brugler, the top draft analyst for The Athletic, has Nubin among the players going in the first round of his way-too-early 2024 mock draft.

"Nubin would have been a Day 2 pick had he declared for the 2023 draft, but he elected to return to Minnesota for his senior year. With his athleticism and opportunistic ball skills, he has NFL starting ability," Brugler wrote, predicting Nubin as the 32nd overall pick.

Nubin was second team All-Big Ten in 2022 after finishing with 55 tackles and a team-leading four interceptions, and according to Pro Football Focus he was the best safety in the country in terms of completion percentage allowed in his coverage.

Go Gophers!!
The Gophers needed him back. He is another shining example of how the Gophers develop players in all senses of the word. We thank him, JMS, Tanner, BSF, and Mo for their selflessness and leadership. He is going to cast his pearls of wisdom to the developing players. This is Gopher Football Culture!

We certainly have a lot of bylines to watch in the upcoming season. Will Aireontae Ersery decide to stay an extra year? He may not need an extra year of refinement.

You look at these ten players highlighted in this article and see how far the program has come. 247 Sports and the NFL have certainly noticed Gopher player development.

I wished that Daniel Faale had stayed an extra year.

I'm adding Brady Weeks to the list. Being the number 1 rated long snapper at Khols gives him cred, plus being in the B1G he's shown he's great at the job in every kind of weather. Watch him vs the other team's LS and you'll see a difference. Here's a listing of what I found for LSers drafted over the years:
  • 2015: Joe Cardona, New England Patriots, fifth round (166th overall)
  • 2016: Jimmy Landes, Detroit Lions, sixth round (210th)
  • 2017: Colin Holba, Pittsburgh Steelers, sixth round (213th)
  • 2018: Hunter Bradley, Green Bay Packers, seventh round (239th)
  • 2019: Austin Cutting, Minnesota Vikings, seventh round (250th)
  • 2020: Blake Ferguson, Miami Dolphins, sixth round (185th)
  • 2021: Thomas Fletcher, Carolina Panthers, sixth round (222nd); Cameron Cheeseman, Washington Football Team, sixth round (225th)
  • 2022 and 2023: None

Sean Tyler? Wow.
He is small but looks like he has the speed. He put up pretty good numbers on a bad offense, will be super interesting to see how the RB work gets split up this year.

I think CrAB might be the WR who gets drafted if healthy all year and is able to come back strong from his injury. Crooms has a chance if the offense opens up more.

He is small but looks like he has the speed. He put up pretty good numbers on a bad offense, will be super interesting to see how the RB work gets split up this year.
Small enough and fast enough to be stealthily lined up behind beefcakes.

I don't think Ersery gets talked about enough. Very mobile for someone who is 325. Three years of eligibility remaining, so if he left it would be with two years remaining. I suppose a lot will depend on how refined his technique becomes. He has really looked solid.

One wrinkle Fleck has never used (or at least used rarely) is short passes to the running back in a way that gives the RB a chance to move in space. Kill did that some with Rodney Smith (and Fleck did his first season as head coach), but that has largely vanished from the arsenal. Tyler looks to have the speed an elusiveness to be effective in a role like that. I was hoping they would do more of that when Irving was here, but it's just not in the playbook.

One wrinkle Fleck has never used (or at least used rarely) is short passes to the running back in a way that gives the RB a chance to move in space. Kill did that some with Rodney Smith (and Fleck did his first season as head coach), but that has largely vanished from the arsenal. Tyler looks to have the speed an elusiveness to be effective in a role like that. I was hoping they would do more of that when Irving was here, but it's just not in the playbook.
Totally agree, I think Oregon does that with Irving, I think Tyler would thrive in that role.

You're going to take a safety and put him in as a running back catching passes out of the backfield?

Ummmm ok

We certainly have a lot of bylines to watch in the upcoming season. Will Aireontae Ersery decide to stay an extra year? He may not need an extra year of refinement.

You look at these ten players highlighted in this article and see how far the program has come. 247 Sports and the NFL have certainly noticed Gopher player development.

I wished that Daniel Faale had stayed an extra year.
Sorry. I know this is a Nubin thread, but does anyone know how Faalele did last year in Baltimore?

You're going to take a safety and put him in as a running back catching passes out of the backfield?

Ummmm ok
I should have been more clear. I was talking about Sean Tyler , the running back who transferred in. I was responding to a comment that mentioned him.

Sorry. I know this is a Nubin thread, but does anyone know how Faalele did last year in Baltimore?
Mostly a backup who got in a bit. Started one game when the starter went down and played ok. Biggest issue was he struggled to keep up with the speed of NFL pass rushers

I think it's been well-established that Fleck doesn't like wrinkles

Top Bottom