Gophers top TCU, Boise, Cincy in recruiting

upchurch

Reaction score
In the years 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 the Gophers recruited 54 players with 3 or more stars. In that same period, three undefeated teams did very poorly. TCU had 38, Boise State had 21 and Cincinnati had 14. YES, 14!!!!

What do stars mean?

David Pittman was a 4 star recruit!!!

The following were 2 star recruits:

Decker, Gary Russell, VanDeSteeg, Payne, Eslinger, Montgomery, Spaeth, Smart, Theret, Campbell and Elestad. Six of those 11 are in (or were) the NFL. The other 4 are present day starters.

My point (and I know there will be people who say I'm picking out selective names) is that stars mean absolutely nothing. Remember a qb from Washington State who went 2nd overall in the draft a few years ago named Leaf? Let's wait until these guys arrive on campus and start to produce before we get too excited or too down on a particular class.

Give me a team of all 4 stars and you can have a team of all 2 stars and I will beat you 9 out of 10 times. Because some 4 stars will be busts but most 2 stars will not play above their heads like the guys you mention.

Stars do not mean "absolutely" nothing. While recruiting ratings do not project out everybody with 100% accuracy, a class of all 4 and 3 stars will usually yield better players than a class of all 2 and 3 stars.

My point (and I know there will be people who say I'm picking out selective names) is that stars mean absolutely nothing.

Tell that to USC, Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU.

Chip Kelly

Recruiting is very important to a program but I think coaching is just as important! Chip Kelly, Cincy Coach, will end up at Notre Dame next year. He gets the most out of his recruits and we will see if Brewster does!

In the years 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 the Gophers recruited 54 players with 3 or more stars. In that same period, three undefeated teams did very poorly. TCU had 38, Boise State had 21 and Cincinnati had 14. YES, 14!!!!

What do stars mean?

David Pittman was a 4 star recruit!!!

The following were 2 star recruits:

Decker, Gary Russell, VanDeSteeg, Payne, Eslinger, Montgomery, Spaeth, Smart, Theret, Campbell and Elestad. Six of those 11 are in (or were) the NFL. The other 4 are present day starters.

My point (and I know there will be people who say I'm picking out selective names) is that stars mean absolutely nothing. Remember a qb from Washington State who went 2nd overall in the draft a few years ago named Leaf? Let's wait until these guys arrive on campus and start to produce before we get too excited or too down on a particular class.

Now if the Gophers can just figure out a way to play Boise's, Cincy's and TCU's schedule then you might have stumbled upon a point.

Get some sleep.

Chip Kelly is coaching Oregon AND Cincy at the same time? AMAZING! One coach, two teams in the top 20. This guy HAS to be national coach of the year! That's probably why he scheduled that road trip for Cincy out to Corvalis a couple weeks back. Smart guy.

I don't have the official stats or the time to look all of them up - but I'm pretty sure the Gophers also topped the following teams in recruiting rankings during the same time period:

Duke
North Carolina State
Virginia
Baylor
Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas State
Connecticut
Louisville
South Florida
Syracuse
Indiana
Northwestern
Purdue
East Carolina
Houston
Marshall
Memphis
Rice
SMU
Southern Miss
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
UCF
UTEP
Army
Navy
Akron
Ball State
Bowling Green
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Western Michigan
Miami (OH)
Northern Illinois
Ohio
Temple
Toledo
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
Wyoming
Arizona
Stanford
Washington State
Mississippi State
Vanderbilt
Arkansas State
Florida Atlantic
Florida Internatioonal
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Middle Tennessee State
North Texas
Troy
Western Kentucky
Hawaii
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
Nevada
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Utah State

If your life was on the line and you had to bet with or against recruiting rankings - which side would you bet on?

Top Bottom