Gophers' top-seven next season, but they have PLENTY of options - Tony Liebert

Being the off season, I look at numbers way too much and also post them, annoyingly so, too much. Edmonds rebounding stats are remarkably close to Payne’s. (Different competition of course.) Payne’s total rebounds were 194 in 747 minutes. Edmonds’ were 184 in 710 minutes. Ben did a better job than I suspected he would. (Daniels, Ogele, Wilson, etc.)
Injuries, illness and such has a way of rearing its ugly head, Good to have Trey. No clue on my part how Johnson will handle rotation. Just throwing stuff against the wall.

So lets talk about life after big man Payne. The loss hurt.

I loved watching Pharrel Payne -- most of the time. Yet his shooting range was limited. He missed frequent time with injuries. His FT shooting was bad but did get better. He rebounded well but also didn't get it done against Michigan State in the B1G tournament, only 3 rebounds.

I don't know but I will say....

It starts with Garcia. Get him the ball. Then I don't know.

So lets talk about life after big man Payne. The loss hurt.

I loved watching Pharrel Payne -- most of the time. Yet his shooting range was limited. He missed frequent time with injuries. His FT shooting was bad but did get better. He rebounded well but also didn't get it done against Michigan State in the B1G tournament, only 3 rebounds.

I don't know but I will say....

It starts with Garcia. Get him the ball. Then I don't know.
You left out Payne's ball handling skills which led to turnovers every time he needed to dribble.
If he was near the basket, he was unstoppable. But if was off the paint, he was not capable of getting near the basket with the ball.

Last edited:

Odukale's not here to sit, imo. The guy can defend, is our only 3 with any size, and has started 80+ college basketball games in his career.
Cochran and Okudale can certainly be on the court at the same time.
Think it's reasonably safe to assume that Patterson (3238 D1 minutes), Cochran (2946 D1 minutes) Odukale (3083 D1 minutes) along with Frank Mitchell, all came here to see the court.

Being the off season, I look at numbers way too much and also post them, annoyingly so, too much. Edmonds rebounding stats are remarkably close to Payne’s. (Different competition of course.) Payne’s total rebounds were 194 in 747 minutes. Edmonds’ were 184 in 710 minutes. Ben did a better job than I suspected he would. (Daniels, Ogele, Wilson, etc.)
Injuries, illness and such has a way of rearing its ugly head, Good to have Trey. No clue on my part how Johnson will handle rotation. Just throwing stuff against the wall.
Numbers in context are good. Not the whole story but an important part of it.

You left out Payne's ball handling skills which led to turnovers every time he needed to dribble.
If he was near the basket, he was unstoppable. But if was off the paint, he was not capable of getting near the basket with the ball.
Missed bunnies.

I was reading an article by Ryan James, talking about player rotations. He had Edmonds and Betts as the #10 and #11 players in the rotation.

James said he thinks Edmonds will play more than Wilson did last season, but not a lot more. He also said Betts' playing time will depend on whether the Gophers need a taller player to guard opposing wings, so against certain opponents, James thought Betts could see the floor more than Edmonds.

I was reading an article by Ryan James, talking about player rotations. He had Edmonds and Betts as the #10 and #11 players in the rotation.

James said he thinks...Betts' playing time will depend on whether the Gophers need a taller player to guard opposing wings, so against certain opponents, James thought Betts could see the floor more than Edmonds.
I hope Betts can handle that assignment.
He has the size, but his agility could be lacking trying to guard wings who are smaller and quicker than he is.

Top Bottom