Gophers to the Final Four?

Austin is possibly my least favorite Gopher. He is long, athletic and "can shoot"...but he isn't a lockdown defender, good ball handler and his shooting statistics leave a lot to be desired (45/37/81.5) as a sophomore, (40/26/69) as a freshman. Does he shoot like he did as a sophomore or does less touches and a more focused inside attack hurt him in this category? Again, his freshman stats are when Trevor was on the floor with other bigs, sophomore stats were in smaller guard lineups.

Have to disagree about the defensive and shooting statement. He's a very good defender. His shooting was poor his freshman year, but the numbers you posted from last year are actually pretty solid for a wing player.

I don't get a good vibe from Austin. I hope he leads the nation in shooting %, but its unlikely and I honestly expect him to regress. Once things start to go bad for Austin he seems to never come out of it.

I'm curious why you come to that conclusion? One of his best games of the year last year came after he was in a slump (Indiana win).

I won't even touch on the "star coach" comment because Tubby won a title...with another coaches recruits, 15 years ago (I was 11)

This is more of a general statement than just directed at you. It's funny how when a coach takes over a new program and they don't do well, it's because he doesn't have his players there yet. But when they do very well, it's because the former coach recruited those players. I would think it would be difficult to come in as a new coach and succeed right away because it's a new system, and you're unfamiliar with the players.

Even if the talent comes together to give us a shot, I can't imagine the Ghost of Gangelhoff will stand for it.

She did a great job of ruining the University of Minnesota, Clem Haskins, and lots of Gopher Basketball Players. May she rest in hell.

She did a great job of ruining the University of Minnesota, Clem Haskins, and lots of Gopher Basketball Players. May she rest in hell.

Ummmm what!?!?

I guess you also think its okay for a thief when he gets in trouble to blame the cops for catching him, as opposed to, ya know, himself for stealing.

If Clem and the players didn't want their names ruined they shouldn't have been cheating, it's that simple. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Whoa. I was away for a bit, sorry.

I was probably too harsh on Austin and didn't present my argument very well.

I agree its more than just shooting percentages, ppg, etc, but I think he will regress. I hope I am wrong, I have said that the entire time. I don't like his game. He will get less touches and be a smaller part of the offense, which will take him out of the flow of the game, hurting his shooting which for a lot players ends up affecting (effecting? I was an English minor...) their overall game and general psyche.

Pile on all you want, I won't take back what I said. When he is 1st team all B1G and the Gophers are a top 10 team, I will be eating my words (and a lot of possibly uncomfortable meals considering my somewhat unorthodox bet since I have never met anyone on here)

Also, I don't hate Hollins, I hate his game. I also dislike Maverick Ahanmisi's game more...but I think thats a general consensus among maroon and gold faithful.

Ummmm what!?!?

I guess you also think its okay for a thief when he gets in trouble to blame the cops for catching him, as opposed to, ya know, himself for stealing.

If Clem and the players didn't want their names ruined they shouldn't have been cheating, it's that simple. They have no one to blame but themselves.

OK, buddy. Wanna talk semantics? What ya gonna do when your brother comes to you and asks you to hide the money he has after robbing the bank?

OK, buddy. Wanna talk semantics? What ya gonna do when your brother comes to you and asks you to hide the money he has after robbing the bank?

Please tell me you aren't suggesting I'd be doing the wrong thing if I told on him or made him turn himself in ...

Every aspect? Idk who on here wouldn't take that bet. Not exactly sure how to go about doing that though. I don't think there's really that much hype around Austin so I'm not sure why you think he's so overrated. I think he and Welch will quietly be two of our most important players.

I'll bet you dinner...or something? that Austin regresses this year in every aspect, assuming he is healthy or else its not a fair assessment.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think he will be do what he did last year offensively and I think he is very over-rated defensively.

nail, hammer, hitting the head

The key to post-season success is the play of a teams point guard. Running the offense and getting the ball to people for open looks without turning the ball over is huge come tourney time. Over the past few years the Gophers have been notoriously sloppy with the basketball. Losing Al Nolen was a devastating loss in his senior season. Who do we have on this Gophers team who can keep turnovers down while commanding the tempo of a game? Right now I think that is a big question mark for this team. If we get solid guard play, the Gophers will make the dance and even win a game or two. If our guards struggle to handle the ball we'll be one and done at best.

Absolutely right on, a point guard who can do these things is more important than any one post player. And as much as I love Walkers offense I worry about his defense. I wonder how he will match up against long tall and quick players like Duke has in the frontcourt?

players importance this year:
1. andre solid pg play..getting others shots and limiting turnovers in #1. we have pieces and talent everywhere else. I think he is a natural scorer so i assume that part stays the same.
2. rodney staying aggressive and learning to also play with an inside presence.
3. Trevor returning to pre-injury athleticism.
4. Continued improvement on the 3 pt line.
5. Coleman taking and hitting 15 foot and beyond shots.

I'll bet you dinner...or something? that Austin regresses this year in every aspect, assuming he is healthy or else its not a fair assessment.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think he will be do what he did last year offensively and I think he is very over-rated defensively.

This statement is looking pretty dumb as of right now;) Austin is looking tough

This statement is looking pretty dumb as of right now;) Austin is looking tough

All his baskets are in transition. He's 1 for 7 from behind the arc.

I'm not agreeing with KHoff on Austin, I'm just saying his points tonight are coming against a team that has really struggled against Minnesota's press.

I'm not agreeing with KHoff on Austin, I'm just saying his points tonight are coming against a team that has really struggled against Minnesota's press.

He played very good defense though, like he normally does.

Didn't see how Austin was at all overrated on defense tonight, did nothing but get steals and impact half the plays on defense

He played very good defense though, like he normally does.

Totally agree. The one thing that Tubby is very good at is teaching defense and getting his kids to play hard. Austin is an excellent defender.

You are nitpicking! I don't care if he is 0-7 behind the arc, we are built to play pressure defense and score a lot of transition buckets. He scored 20 points and was a a force on defense. He played well and it's ok to admit it

Top Bottom