Gophers to play North Dakota in 2028 & 2030

Absolutely silly to think that losing to FCS North Dakota wouldn't be far worse than losing to FBS Bowling Green.
North Dakota is better than Bowling Green most years, and I have no idea how you missed all the embarassment from 3 weeks ago.

North Dakota is better than Bowling Green most years
Doubt that's actually true -- remember, UND not NDSU -- and even if it technically was true, no one will know better. They'll see "FCS team stuns Big Ten team".

Just silly and not worth it, for a marginal savings.

Can't believe some people in this thread that have already forgotten about Bowling Green. We paid 2x as much to Bowling Green as we would to a Dakota and it was far more embarassing to lose to Bowling Green.
We saw the game. I was there.

What does that have to do with this discussion?

Just silly and not worth it, for a marginal savings.
Those 2 games will save over a million dollars, we just cut a couple programs because they cost about that much to run for a year.

Doubt that's actually true -- remember, UND not NDSU -- and even if it technically was true, no one will know better. They'll see "FCS team stuns Big Ten team".
Bowling Green would have serious trouble beating anyone in the FCS top 25.

I hope they eventually build up to the Missouri Valley level. They might be content with the Drake level, though.

According to the OPE Athletics website, Drake's football budget was around $1M, while UND's was around $5.5M. (these are 2019-20 school/fiscal year)
no chance UST admin went D1 so they could be in Drake's fb conference. Early returns show that year 1, they might already be the class of the Pioneer League (actually says a lot about the quality of the top MIAC teams like UST, SJU, and Bethel). The question is whether the MV conf would ever let UST in. The last thing NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, etc. want, is a scholarship FCS team right in the Twin Cities.

no chance UST admin went D1 so they could be in Drake's fb conference. Early returns show that year 1, they might already be the class of the Pioneer League (actually says a lot about the quality of the top MIAC teams like UST, SJU, and Bethel). The question is whether the MV conf would ever let UST in. The last thing NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, etc. want, is a scholarship FCS team right in the Twin Cities.
I think UST will be content playing non-scholarship football for the time being.

The bigger point is that none of the aforementioned schools (NDSU, UND, UST, or any other 1-AA school) belong on our schedule.

Location, Location, Location, with Minnesota having only 1 Div I program, there is room for another Burger King. UST offers scholarship for all their sports teams except football. That would be a large investment, can they afford it? NDSU plays in a city funded dome. I do not believe NDSU's program makes a profit and look at their success in Fargo area. If UST offered scholarships they would not have a problem keeping the local talent in the metro area.

Well, let me offer a reason for scheduling the Dakota schools to play a non-conf game:

MONEY!

Like it or not, playing one of the Dakotas will draw a lot more fans of the visiting team as opposed to playing a team from the MAC.

If playing NoDak brings in an extra 3,000 to 5,000 fans as opposed to a generic non-conf opponent, that means more money for the U in tickets, parking, concessions, etc.

If the Gophers ever played NDSU, it would be a guaranteed sellout. (and if enough Gopher fans dumped their tickets, you could literally have more NDSU fans than Gopher fans at the game.)

Well, there are other teams in the MVFC than the four Dakotas. It's the TC media market, even though UST gets a tiny fraction of that, but conferences think weird things sometimes when big media markets are involved ("potential").

I think the difficult think for UST would be: how would they go from zero football scholarships to 63 (or so) football scholarships, and satisfy Title IX?

Probably have to trim some men's sports, frankly. I guess they'll have to decide about that at some point.

Bowling Green would have serious trouble beating anyone in the FCS top 25.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Silly.

Bowling Green and Miami OH would be competing for a natty in FCS this year.

Those 2 games will save over a million dollars
Nope.

Only one of those games replaces a buy home game from a MAC team, for example. So I could go $500k, for one year.

The other game is an "away" game (at USBS), and guessing they agreed to split the gate revenue 50/50 or something like that. You could potentially look at that as lost revenue over the other revenue streams the athletic dept and the school overall (parking/tailgating, etc.) is losing by not having a home game.

This is peanuts to a team that an eight figure football budget, and what I said in post #26 holds as correct.

still scared of NDSU, wow.
congrats on your 2 lopsided wins
You are a F-ing weiner. The Gophers haven't played your biggest rival since 1974 and all you think about is your selfish ass! Minnesota should schedule matches against your rivals since they likely haven't played any them in decades then Minnesota can come back to your little D2 school. Pure rubbish.

Well, let me offer a reason for scheduling the Dakota schools to play a non-conf game:

MONEY!

Like it or not, playing one of the Dakotas will draw a lot more fans of the visiting team as opposed to playing a team from the MAC.

If playing NoDak brings in an extra 3,000 to 5,000 fans as opposed to a generic non-conf opponent, that means more money for the U in tickets, parking, concessions, etc.

If the Gophers ever played NDSU, it would be a guaranteed sellout. (and if enough Gopher fans dumped their tickets, you could literally have more NDSU fans than Gopher fans at the game.)
Maybe the environment has changed, but this hasn’t been true in the past. The last two times we played NDSU the attendance for the game was the lowest of all our home nonconference games that year.

If St. Thomas ever upgraded from non-scholarship FCS, I wouldn't mind them being in the mix.

Great for recruiting, game day experience, revenue, and keeping us riveted for the next 7 years! Planning my tailgate already.
yoda-sarcasm.gif

Nope.

Only one of those games replaces a buy home game from a MAC team, for example. So I could go $500k, for one year.

The other game is an "away" game (at USBS), and guessing they agreed to split the gate revenue 50/50 or something like that. You could potentially look at that as lost revenue over the other revenue streams the athletic dept and the school overall (parking/tailgating, etc.) is losing by not having a home game.

This is peanuts to a team that an eight figure football budget, and what I said in post #26 holds as correct.
First game is 500k, the second is 525k, there's no revenue split.

Maybe the environment has changed, but this hasn’t been true in the past. The last two times we played NDSU the attendance for the game was the lowest of all our home nonconference games that year.
The attendance for the 2007 game was 63K, the biggest crowd of the season, even bigger than the Wisky game (59K).

First game is 500k, the second is 525k, there's no revenue split.
Then why would the second game be in USBS? Why not just on campus? You're saying we paid UND ... to play them in USBS? Would like to see that in writing. Makes even less sense than playing an FCS team in general.

If St. Thomas ever upgraded from non-scholarship FCS, I wouldn't mind them being in the mix.
Not saying we should, but do P5 schools ever play against non-scholarship FCS schools?

Not saying we should, but do P5 schools ever play against non-scholarship FCS schools?
It wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility. The rule (the last time I looked it up, anyway) is that the FCS team has to have at least 90% of the FCS maximum scholarships in order for the win to count.

Top Bottom