Gophers to play North Dakota in 2028 & 2030

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Saw a tweet about this:

The Minnesota Golden Gophers will play the North Dakota Fighting Hawks in 2028 and 2030, FBSchedules.com has learned.

A copy of the contract for both games with the University of Minnesota was obtained from the University of North Dakota via a state public records request.

Minnesota will host North Dakota at Huntington Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn., on Thursday, Aug. 31, 2028 and then again two seasons later on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2030. The Golden Gophers will pay the Fighting Hawks guarantees of $500,000 and $525,000 for the games in 2028 and 2030, respectively, according to the copy of the contract.

Minnesota and North Dakota first met on the gridiron in 1900 and have played 19 times overall. The Golden Gophers won the most recent contest 42-30 in 1974 to extend their lead in the overall series to 19-0.

Surprised of this. Perhaps upnorthkid has it right, I don't know.

I suppose we are supposed to pay full price for tickets for this exhibition?

still scared of NDSU, wow.
congrats on your 2 lopsided wins
We really don't care about NDSU. I honestly would have been a fan of theirs (I root for St. Thomas) but for their idiotic fans coming to a Gopher football message board screaming for attention.

Look, we realize you have a good FCS football team. It'd be a cool little story if you all weren't such assholes. You're the prettiest chubby girl I know, it's too bad you have a sh!t personality.

We really don't care about NDSU. I honestly would have been a fan of theirs (I root for St. Thomas) but for their idiotic fans coming to a Gopher football message board screaming for attention.

Look, we realize you have a good FCS football team. It'd be a cool little story if you all weren't such assholes. You're the prettiest chubby girl I know, it's too bad you have a sh!t personality.
ok Bob. sure Bob. lol

ok Bob. sure Bob. lol
Homerun comeback.

I'd rip on you more but I'm cruising the Washington State message boards praying for any mention of a Big 10 team to talk so I can bring up the Holiday Bowl. I know what you're thinking. . . that's f'n pathetic, who would do that about a meaningless win almost a decade ago?

I'm already nervous for this game given a very consistent history of playing down to any Dakota school across many coaching regimes.

Couldn't we have just scheduled Louisiana Tech or Troy or something and not scheduled games against a team that will be half comprised of Minnesota kids playing like it's their Super Bowl?

Gophers will sleepwalk and wind up winning by some assy score like 16-13 after we all have a heart attack on a Thursday night in 2028 and we'll all come here to call for the OC's head before most teams have played a game yet.

I’d be happy if the Gophers never played another Dakota D2 school again. Nothing good ever comes from these games. They have consistently been the least fun games to attend and watch. South Dakota State was my least fun game among my most fun season in 2019 (not counting the two losses).

I think it is important for people to realize whatever the PAC/ACC/B1G alliance is, this will impact our other games. Having 1 game against a regional (we pay them less than a MAC) FCS school, not only draws in outside fans, but generates revenue for our school. There is no advantage in recruiting playing Alabama-Birmingham or someone from down south, especially when you pay them 1 million to come up this way. My guess the rest of our schedule will be against P5 schools - so 10-11 games against P5 and one cupcake seems about right.

I think it is important for people to realize whatever the PAC/ACC/B1G alliance is, this will impact our other games. Having 1 game against a regional (we pay them less than a MAC) FCS school, not only draws in outside fans, but generates revenue for our school. There is no advantage in recruiting playing Alabama-Birmingham or someone from down south, especially when you pay them 1 million to come up this way. My guess the rest of our schedule will be against P5 schools - so 10-11 games against P5 and one cupcake seems about right.
The advantage to playing an FBS school is at least it’s an FBS school.
If I wanted to watch an FCS game I’d go to st Thomas vs San Diego

I think the money differential is pretty marginal, and not worth it for the attitude that the Dakota schools bring -- especially the North Dakota schools -- where every player treats like a "I'll show the Gophers for not recruiting me!" If you win, you were supposed to, and if you lose, it's a monumental upset.

The advantage to playing an FBS school is at least it’s an FBS school.
If I wanted to watch an FCS game I’d go to st Thomas vs San Diego

Depends on if you want to watch non scholarship or 63 scholarship FCS football. Mankato would be better football than the non level, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I guess we got a "road" game at USBS out of it.

Top Bottom