Gophers to play hoops DH in new Vikes Stadium? (per Sid)

Geez. I posted this because I thought it sounded like a fun event - a basketball showcase in the new Vikes stadium, and a dry run for the stadium people for future NCAA Regionals and Final Fours.

As far as the recruiting aspect - c'mon. Do you really think some big-time recruit is going to commit to MN, then see them play on the same court as WI, and decide on the spot - "I'm going to WI because they played one game in the Vikings Stadium."

After all, WI and IA are never shown on BTN or ESPN, so the Gophers would be giving them a HUGE recruiting advantage by allowing them to play in this showcase event........................(sarcasm)

To be bluntly honest, given the current state of the Gopher program, WI or IA would probably be doing the Gophers a favor by agreeing to play in an event like this. It would probably elevate the Gophers' profile far more than WI or IA.

If you are that insecure as a coach or a program that you're afraid of having to compete for players, then don't take a D1 job, or a head coaching job. Maybe you should coach at a juco in Oklahoma.

I agree 100%. Iowa and Wisconsin already play a game in Minneapolis every year already, it isn't like we're exposing those programs to anything new, they already play here each season. They aren't going to get a huge additional advantage in playing this event. In fact, I think they would struggle with giving up a home game to play in a tough, neutral site spot they already are exposed in.

We sure are some thin skinned fans. This would be a chance to have a cool event. What if it could be something like:

Minnesota vs. Kansas
Iowa vs. Marquette OR Wisconsin vs. Creighton
(heck, play a triple header)

That would be a helluva day of basketball and I'd be all for it.

Minnesota vs Marquette
SDSU vs Northern Iowa

Make it a basketball bonanza:

Game 1: 11:00 AM Hopkins vs. DeLaSalle
Game 2: 2:00 PM St. Thomas (MN) vs St. Johns (MN)
Game 3: 5:00 PM NDSU vs Northern Iowa
Game 4: 8:00 PM Gophers vs Marquette

All this recruiting advantage nonsense is getting absolutely absurd. Not once have I ever heard a recruit mention that being exposed by a game in enemy territory got them to come to or leave their home state.

It's 2016, not 1990s. These guys know who and what Wisconsin is. Chances are they've all sent their own YouTube mix tapes to these schools.

All this recruiting advantage nonsense is getting absolutely absurd. Not once have I ever heard a recruit mention that being exposed by a game in enemy territory got them to come to or leave their home state.

It's 2016, not 1990s. These guys know who and what Wisconsin is. Chances are they've all sent their own YouTube mix tapes to these schools.

I'm not worried about the recruiting aspect,I am more worried that Wisconsin could out number us in our own event.

+19

Iowa and Iowa State have no reason to elevate UNI's program since occasionally, UNI is the best team in the state. Why give them the bigger stage?

They didn't just create that event out of nowhere. It replaced the annual home-and-away series' that those schools had against each other. Both Iowa and ISU considered themselves too important to play away games against Drake and UNI (after having done so for decades) so this was considered a compromise by all of the involved parties.

It has actually been seen as quite the slap in the face to the smaller schools.

Big time programs don't want to play on teams home court anymore. This your best chance to see a two big time matchups. I don't care if it's Iowa or wis. I would love to watch two games with with big time programs. Let's do this

I'm not worried about the recruiting aspect,I am more worried that Wisconsin could out number us in our own event.

The time to do this would be next year with Wisc. coaching turnover. Get Minnesota vs. Somebody that is good but can possibly be beat say Georgetown or UCLA or someone else with a good following for TV. Then put Wisconsin vs someone who will beat them say Kentucky or Kansas. Get the TV hype to make it a big event if possible.

Edit: or Duke or any other high ranking team who is trying to recruit Gary Trent Jr. That would be why that level of team would come to MN to play a neutral site game.

4 teams, 3 cities

Take it a step further. How about a rotation like the Champions Classic has with Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and Michigan State?

The 3 cities? Minneapolis, Des Moines, Saint Louis?

The 4 conferences represented? Big East, B1G, Big XII, SEC?

The 4 schools? Minnesota, Iowa State, Marquette, Missouri?

Unless the U of M starts showing a willingness to schedule home-and-homes vs. other major programs, I could settle for something like this.

Play each school once.

2016 @ Ziggy World: Iowa State vs. Minnesota, Missouri vs. Marquette.

2017: @ Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines: Minnesota vs. Marquette, Missouri vs. Iowa State.

2018: @ Scottrade Center in Saint Louis: Marquette vs. Iowa State, Minnesota vs. Missouri.

Take it a step further. How about a rotation like the Champions Classic has with Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and Michigan State?

The 3 cities? Minneapolis, Des Moines, Saint Louis?

The 4 conferences represented? Big East, B1G, Big XII, SEC?

The 4 schools? Minnesota, Iowa State, Marquette, Missouri?

Unless the U of M starts showing a willingness to schedule home-and-homes vs. other major programs, I could settle for something like this.

Play each school once.

2016 @ Ziggy World: Iowa State vs. Minnesota, Missouri vs. Marquette.

2017: @ Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines: Minnesota vs. Marquette, Missouri vs. Iowa State.

2018: @ Scottrade Center in Saint Louis: Marquette vs. Iowa State, Minnesota vs. Missouri.

I love this idea, make it a Midwest Champions Classic.

No matter who the teams are, I just hope the sight lines at the new stadium are better than the Dome was for basketball. Unless one had seats close to the court, it was no fun watching a game through binocs.

Top Bottom