Gophers to host UCONN

Pulling out of other thread.
This is brave. I also think foolhardy. I’m not a believer in bringing back local talent who spurned the U to take a victory lap and sell the other program to other recruits. Not a great idea. We can do better than the Patriot League but we don’t have to give any more encouragement to top local players to leave here.

This is brave. I also think foolhardy. I’m not a believer in bringing back local talent who spurned the U to take a victory lap and sell the other program to other recruits. Not a great idea. We can do better than the Patriot League but we don’t have to give any more encouragement to top local players to leave here.
If it gets you on National TV (other than B1G Network), with a developing star player or 2 on your roster, it's a potential great move.

Bueckers vs Braun - Part 3. Big headline game. Could be game of the year.

Paige Bueckers is THE media superstar. Mara Braun is a rock star; Big Ten Rookie of the Week last week for her high scoring and thrilling 3-point game-winner.

Showcase for Minnesota: Up-and-coming Gopher stars (Amaya Battle, Etc.) battle veteran UConn stars.

Video: #PaigeBueckers scored 27 points. #MaraBraun scored 29:

I wondered if and when this was going to happen. So, now I'm also wondering if Dawn Staley and Tessa Johnson will make an appearance at Williams Arena in the years to come.

Not sure how I feel about a UConn-Gopher matchup next year. I doubt whether the Gophers will be able to be competitive. And I think it's a big mistake for some on this board to be hyping a Bueckers vs. Braun matchup. Bueckers is arguably the best player in WBB when she is healthy. Braun has the potential to be a great player, maybe the next great Gopher guard after Whalen and Banham, but she's only 2 games into her college career. I'd give her some time before I'd put her on the same pedestal as Bueckers.

If it gets you on National TV (other than B1G Network), with a developing star player or 2 on your roster, it's a potential great move.
Point well taken. You are much more confident than I am about how good they might be next year, however. I agree with the point below that we’re assuming a lot about a player two games into her college career.

I wish Lindsay had the respect of high school coaches and parents that she has with her peers in the college game. We might not be playing behind the eight ball now if that were the case.

And, Geno often schedules games in the home towns of his best players. Hard to say no if they say "we'd like to come visit so Paige can play in front of her home town fans".

Hopkins elite point guard Paige Bueckers versus Hopkins elite point guard Amaya Battle.

Battle will put on a show in that one.

1668544868214.png
1668550189359.png

Last edited:

Well, one would think that the attendance aspect alone would be a justifiable reason to schedule UConn. But, if that's the case, then I am still surprised that the Gophers are refusing to schedule St. Thomas in men's and women's basketball. I'm not saying that St. Thomas would be a big draw in women's hoops, but they certainly would draw more people in men's hoops compared to St. Francis of Brooklyn.

Another question: Are we sure the Gopher/UConn game would be broadcast nationally? Maybe not. But if it is, that national exposure might not be a good thing if the Gophers get trounced. Just a thought.

Well, one would think that the attendance aspect alone would be a justifiable reason to schedule UConn. But, if that's the case, then I am still surprised that the Gophers are refusing to schedule St. Thomas in men's and women's basketball. I'm not saying that St. Thomas would be a big draw in women's hoops, but they certainly would draw more people in men's hoops compared to St. Francis of Brooklyn.

Another question: Are we sure the Gopher/UConn game would be broadcast nationally? Maybe not. But if it is, that national exposure might not be a good thing if the Gophers get trounced. Just a thought.

Only way Minnesota gets trounced is if they get trounced in the boards. That could happen based on the state of the defense at this moment.

Mallory Heyer has a year to become much better at physical rebounding (blocking out). Rose Micheaux has a year to improve her movement. Gophers could use a good transfer portal forward in the offseason for more help.

The Gophers shooters will bring it. Minnesota has the firepower.

Last edited:

I agree if we get the national exposure and win or come close but if we lose big I think it is a net negative from the exposure perspective.

Do a lot of people care about the program right now? Things have been fairly negative how much worse can it get? I have not been impressed with Whalen as a coach but giver credit for scheduling this game… PLUS when you are recruiting top 50 players they want to hear you are playing UCONN and South Carolina etc…

For one thing, a matchup with St. Thomas, is an absolute RPI (or whatever other metric you use) killer. Being nice guys and introducing St Thomas to the league last year dragged down the Gopher volleyball team's RPI all last season. This year, they wisely did not schedule them.

And, Geno often schedules games in the home towns of his best players. Hard to say no if they say "we'd like to come visit so Paige can play in front of her home town fans".
It’s not hard to say no at all. “Thanks but no thanks. Paige had the option of playing half of her college games in front of her home town fans and chose not to.” This isn’t kindness or altruism by Geno. It’s planting a recruiting flag in Minnesota. Forget it.

The main aspect of the program is the players. The players would love to play this game….
Your idealism is commendable. But I think “the main part of the program is the players” shipped a long time ago, and is basically lost at sea since the latest addition to the conference that will do nothing for the student aspect of student athlete. All decisions are driven by finances above all else. Athletes on the road like pros is not putting athletes first.

Dawn Staley is Swag City. If she is willing to come in to town and they wipe the floor with us so be it. She still rocks. Anyone have her number?

Your idealism is commendable. But I think “the main part of the program is the players” shipped a long time ago, and is basically lost at sea since the latest addition to the conference that will do nothing for the student aspect of student athlete. All decisions are driven by finances above all else. Athletes on the road like pros is not putting athletes first.
🥱 play ball…

Gophers freshman Mara Braun talks facing Paige Bueckers, game-winning shot​

Tue, November 15, 2022 at 6:59 PM

Mara Braun talked Tuesday about facing UConn and Paige Bueckers next season, and her game-winning shot on Sunday against Lehigh.

VIDEO

#MaraBraun #PaigeBueckers #MinnesotaGophers #UConn

Last edited:

Auriemma to miss fourth game this season

STORRS, Conn. -- UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma will sit out the Huskies' game at Xavier on Thursday, the fourth game he has missed this season due to illness.

The Hall of Fame coach also sat out Tuesday's win at Butler. The school didn't release a timetable for his return.

Associate head coach Chris Dailey, who has been at UConn with Auriemma since 1985, will take over the head-coaching duties. She is 16-0 when filling in for him.

"It's been an extremely difficult month for me, and I've been feeling under the weather and run down," Auriemma said in a statement. "I thought I was ready to return, but I need a little more time. I'm going to take a step back to focus on my health and will return when I feel ready."

His 91-year-old mother, Marsiella Auriemma, died on Dec. 8

Top Bottom