Gophers the only team in CFP Era to have 2 seasons with fewer than 40 penalties

College football teams with low penalties says they have players excelling in the classroom. 2023 Gophers for example. RTB

Illegal motion or procedure was huge one that Kill inherited. Now if they would just call more holding penalties on the opponents.

I hadn’t noticed a correlation between running the ball a ton and penalties. But that’s the common thread among these teams.

Is it simply less plays? Or are pass plays more likely to cause offensive penalties?

I hadn’t noticed a correlation between running the ball a ton and penalties. But that’s the common thread among these teams.

Is it simply less plays? Or are pass plays more likely to cause offensive penalties?
Pass plays result in more holding calls. Calling fair catches result in fewer calls. On the other side Iowa's opponents were penalized the most.

1705440567219.png

1705440699084.png

College football teams with low penalties says they have players excelling in the classroom. 2023 Gophers for example. RTB
I've heard versions of this throughout my life -- that penalties are avoided with discipline or academics or "smart" players -- and have just gone along with it.

What if it's not true? What if penalties are governed more by play style and less by some kind of personal traits?

Are there aggressive or risk-taking teams/players who get called more because of the way they play? Are there lots of very smart players out there trying to get every edge they can, and occasionally getting caught?

I've never seen a study on it, or any kind of in-depth study on penalties at the pro or college level. College would be a great level to study, since there are many different teams and play styles and academic measurements that can be used for comparison.

It is an excellent barometer of discipline and attention to detail by the coaching staff. But ya, just win baby!
Fans from a lot of teams seemed to indicate everyone saw less holding called this year.

Not sure if by design or emphasis on other things but you’re not alone in feeling that way.

I would think false starts would be more common on passing plays. Also there are a larger variety of potential penalties available only on passing plays such as intentional grounding, offensive pass interference, illegal touching, olineman down field, etc.

I've heard versions of this throughout my life -- that penalties are avoided with discipline or academics or "smart" players -- and have just gone along with it.

What if it's not true? What if penalties are governed more by play style and less by some kind of personal traits?

Are there aggressive or risk-taking teams/players who get called more because of the way they play? Are there lots of very smart players out there trying to get every edge they can, and occasionally getting caught?

I've never seen a study on it, or any kind of in-depth study on penalties at the pro or college level. College would be a great level to study, since there are many different teams and play styles and academic measurements that can be used for comparison.
I remember Jerry Kill when Gophers coach stating "the guys committing the most penalties are the same guys having trouble in the classroom".

I would think false starts would be more common on passing plays. Also there are a larger variety of potential penalties available only on passing plays such as intentional grounding, offensive pass interference, illegal touching, olineman down field, etc.
True but these aren’t just offensive penalties being measured. The gopher defense doesn’t pick up many penalties either

Top Bottom