Gophers spring game closed to public while rivals press on.

I really think a big part of this decision was the fact we don't currently have a scoreboard in the stadium since its under a 7mil renovation.

People are blowing this up into something bigger than it is, its not like there isn't a spring game anymore, and unlike some WE CAN STILL WATCH IT.

The game is not “canceled” just that fans can’t attend.

Big whoop. I’ll just sit comfortably at home and watch it on tv
Correct! He’s more worried about the people who were actually guaranteed to come, recruits and player families.

Correct! He’s more worried about the people who were actually guaranteed to come, recruits and player families.
I'd rather have the emphasis be on the recruits and player's families. Cold and windy doesn't sound very good for these folks outside. Plenty of other activities going on in the cities this weekend for people to attend in person. Wild, Twins, Timberwolves, Hamilton along with other activities just to name a few.

With this recent cancellation, the Football Spring game is quickly becoming non relevant.

Madison will be four degrees warmer with about the same chance of rain or snow showers, but the wind will be slightly less.
So far 20,000 free tickets have been reserved.
Fickell knows PR.
PJ presumes he will not be fired no matter what he does or doesn't do so why go through the aggravation of a spring exhibition?

Madison will be four degrees warmer with about the same chance of rain or snow showers, but the wind will be slightly less.
Fickell knows PR.
PJ presumes he will not be fired no matter what he does or doesn't do so why go through the aggravation of a spring exhibition?
Good lord you are full of it. Job status has nothing to do with this decision.

I don’t know whether the Spring Game is something PJ hauls recruits and commits into to see. If so, giving them a sheltered, warm environment to observe and mingle is probably better than having them shiver at a rainy, cold stadium.

With this recent cancellation, the Football Spring game is quickly becoming non relevant.
Always has been for me. Been to a few, but it's just a glorified scrimmage where I'd rather be doing something else.

Murray Warmath played spring games against alumni who could beat him (in fact, I think his 1960 national champions got roughed up by alumni). Play it a week or two later - do the rules allow that? Fans love a real spring game, not a scrimmage, seeing it in person. PJ should have some inkling of that.
I went to many of those and seem to remember Leo Nomellini arriving via helicopter. Also remember the great Bronko Nagurski with a towel around his neck kicking some ass.

Fickell knows PR.

WTF are you talking about?

Fickell isn't even having a spring game. PJ is.

WTF are you talking about?

Fickell isn't even having a spring game. PJ is.
This article says they are?

They're calling it "the launch." Funny how badger fans rip on PJ for his slogans but fickel shows up with one and they gag on it.

I don’t know whether the Spring Game is something PJ hauls recruits and commits into to see. If so, giving them a sheltered, warm environment to observe and mingle is probably better than having them shiver at a rainy, cold stadium.
Bingo!!!

There will be people at the Spring Game. Family and recruits.

This article says they are?

They're calling it "the launch." Funny how badger fans rip on PJ for his slogans but fickel shows up with one and they gag on it.

It wasn't a game. It was an open practice.

They did have some timed 11-on-11 drills where the QBs threw some interceptions, but there was no game.

My main point was the premise of the entire thread was how the Gophers "canceled" the spring game while the rival programs pressed on. One Badger shill claimed Fickel knew PR by holding a spring game, while PJ canceled his because he knew he wouldn't get fired, which is just a stupid comment like usual from the Badger shill.

The fact of the matter is the Gophers held a spring game indoors, with four quarters of action and a two-hour TV window filled. An entertaining Saturday.

Wisconsin did not host a game, it simply branded a glorified practice as "The Launch" and told everyone how great it would be. No game. Iowa hasn't done a spring game in years. They host a single open practice (something the Gophers do about 3 times during the spring.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom