Gophers should play in U.S Bank Stadium.

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Shameless clickbait. Take a breath. We all love the on campus “bank” and want to watch the Gophers play their home games there for many years to come.

but…

When will we see some creative scheduling for an “away” neutral site game against a P5 opponent in the other bank? One of those games where season ticket holders get first dibs on tickets but a decent opponent comes in for a “neutral site” game.

speculate… who would be the opponent? Who would make sense to trade neutral site games with (example: vs Washington in U.S. Bank Stadium, then Lumen Field the next season).

I’d enjoy the opportunity to take in an 8th game in the Twin Cities, at the “other” bank.

Well...if looking to make some $$$ out of this too...I-O-W-A or Becky or NDSU Buffaloes...maybe Iowa State?

Not sure anyone else will be the same level of draw. Unfortunately.

Shameless clickbait. Take a breath. We all love the on campus “bank” and want to watch the Gophers play their home games there for many years to come.

but…

When will we see some creative scheduling for an “away” neutral site game against a P5 opponent in the other bank? One of those games where season ticket holders get first dibs on tickets but a decent opponent comes in for a “neutral site” game.

speculate… who would be the opponent? Who would make sense to trade neutral site games with (example: vs Washington in U.S. Bank Stadium, then Lumen Field the next season).

I’d enjoy the opportunity to take in an 8th game in the Twin Cities, at the “other” bank.
No thanks.

How about a Northern Tier Destination Bowl Game? I have mixed feelings about the Gophers playing at the US Bank Stadium. I guess it will depend on what game and when.

When an SEC team comes, I'd like to extend our northern hospitality and let them play in the Bank in a December playoff game.

Last edited:

You must mean the next time the NCAA basketball final four comes to MPLS and US Bank again, and that the Gophers should be playing in it...

... or maybe you're thinking that our undeafted woman's soccer team (have they even given up a goal yet this season?) could move indoors once snow starts falling.

In either case, yep, I'm with you on that idea.

With the ACC and P12 forming an arrangement we should do a battle for "Maroon and Gold" showdown.

USC vs FSU vs MN -- Neutral site games (USC in LA's new statium, FSU in Jacksonville and MN in US Bank.

A combined 21 National Championships between them all and these would be games that would fill stadiums. I even believe MN fans would travel to see these games in these locations.

Last edited:

No.

Next question.
So you wouldn't want to see an "away" non-conference game for the Gophers played at U.S. Bank Stadium? You do understand this wouldn't drop a game from Huntington Bank Stadium lineup, right? Curious about your logic on that. What are your thoughts puppies?

Well...if looking to make some $$$ out of this too...I-O-W-A or Becky or NDSU Buffaloes...maybe Iowa State?

Not sure anyone else will be the same level of draw. Unfortunately.
Colorado just played Texas aTm at Mile High stadium. I'm thinking something like that, for a non-conference game. Iowa State would be interesting.

First, nobody outside of MN or MAYBE the Big Ten would care to watch the gophers (yet). If we have a few good years in a row that could change. This won't be a national attention grabber so if you're thinking teams like Notre Dame or another helmet school it likely won't happen. Teams I'm thinking...

North Carolina (I know we already have them lined up)
Tennessee
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
UCLA
Washington
Etc

All of the above would have an NFL team or stadium close by for the cross over game.

Second, no thank you inviting our local rivals to this. No Iowa St, No Iowa, NDSU? Really? Make this a two year thing with a team from down south and have the following year be at an NFL stadium down there. PAC 12 or ACC would also work.

Will-Ferrell-Thats-dumb.gif

Nope. The slow traffic-jammed route through a pre-game rocking frat row eliminates all thoughts of playing in another sterile NFL domed stadium. That sucks donkey-dongs in comparison.

Check Colorado’s schedule. They have 6 games in Folsom this year. The A&M game was considered a home game. No thanks.

Check Colorado’s schedule. They have 6 games in Folsom this year. The A&M game was considered a home game. No thanks.
Yuk, I wouldn’t want that. No thanks, indeed. I’m only talking U.S. Bank Stadium as a host for a neutral site game that would take the place of a road game. I assumed that was the case for the game at Mile High. Bad example then.

It would make the most sense to host an annual bowl game at US bank stadium two weeks after conference championship games.

With the recent cancellation of the Redbox bowl, the timing is perfect for a well-organized local group to step-in and replaced its tie-ins, television agreement, and sponsors.

Yuk, I wouldn’t want that. No thanks, indeed. I’m only talking U.S. Bank Stadium as a host for a neutral site game that would take the place of a road game. I assumed that was the case for the game at Mile High. Bad example then.

I also feel like the Mile High game was some sort of compromise. I can't remember why that is true, but I feel like there was some additional context to that.

It would make the most sense to host an annual bowl game at US bank stadium two weeks after conference championship games.

With the recent cancellation of the Redbox bowl, the timing is perfect for a well-organized local group to step-in and replaced its tie-ins, television agreement, and sponsors.
Bummer to hear it is gone again....

I don't like the idea that it would have been played in a baseball stadium, but I thought playing in San Francisco was still better than playing in San Jose...

It is of course possible to have the following: 7 true home games on campus, and a neutral site game off campus.

You'd have to make it as a home/home deal with another school, where our half of the home is in USB and their half is wherever they want. And you couldn't do it in consecutive years.

Problem is, we only get 5 Big Ten home games every other year, with the 9 game conf schedule. So those two games would have to be on those types of years, to still get 7 home (with say, 2 MAC teams at home).

Can we get auburn up here? That was fun last time. It would have to be an SEC team though in third game of season at the bank. Typically we would play mac teams in week2&4. I like big ten opener at home against an east team crossover to start season on national tv

US Bank Stadium should be a prime candidate for both the Big Ten Championship & The CFP Championship.

The Twin Cities know how to put on big events as proven by both the Super Bowl & the Final Four.

Pretty sure Huntington Bank would have something to say about that. A home game moved to the enemies stadium? Probably not going to happen unless it was a BIG Championship game.

Pretty sure Huntington Bank would have something to say about that. A home game moved to the enemies stadium? Probably not going to happen unless it was a BIG Championship game.
I don't think they get to specify scheduling or anything ...

US Bank Stadium should be a prime candidate for both the Big Ten Championship & The CFP Championship.

The Twin Cities know how to put on big events as proven by both the Super Bowl & the Final Four.
I've been to Lucas Oil Stadium a couple of times. It's very nice but US Bank Stadium is still much better in my opinion. Downtown Indianapolis is kind of smallish, much like downtown St. Paul.

I've been to Lucas Oil Stadium a couple of times. It's very nice but US Bank Stadium is still much better in my opinion. Downtown Indianapolis is kind of smallish, much like downtown St. Paul.
I think B10 really just chose a spot, it's conveient, so they stick with it. More concerned with stability / what works than much else.

I don't think it's the worst idea for a special type of game, maybe like a kick-off weekend type of event. I know the Badgers did that a few years ago at Lambeau Field.

Maybe a double header type of situation on a weekend with two similar fanbases. If say, the Gophers are playing the Badgers and Vikings are playing the Packers. It could also work with Wolverines on Saturday, Lions on Sunday, Penn State on Saturday and Steelers/Eagles on Sunday.

I also agree that it should be in consideration for a B1G Championship Game. Lucas Oil Stadium is fine, but I think they could work in U.S. Bank Stadium or Ford Field since they're roofed.

Top Bottom