Gophers Set to Visit the Minnesota State Fair - Women's Basketball

Bfan

Reaction score

Gophers Set to Visit the Minnesota State Fair​

Gopher Athletics will once again visit the Minnesota State Fair this year. Fans can catch their favorite Golden Gopher coaches and student-athletes at the University of Minnesota building, located at the corner of Dan Patch Avenue and Underwood Street. This year's schedule includes three days of live Q&As with individual teams.

Trophies from the 2021-22 season will be on display in the University of Minnesota building throughout the State Fair, including Paul Bunyan's Axe, and Gopher fan merchandise for purchase in the building.

Fans can take advantage of exclusive ticket specials for upcoming Gopher events. Tickets are available for as low as $10 for select events.

1661306602618.png

Ticket deals will be available exclusively during the State Fair, online at https://z.umn.edu/2022StateFair. The Gopher Athletics Ticket Office is available to assist at 1-800-U-GOPHER or [email protected].

Below is the schedule of appearances on stage for Gopher teams at the University of Minnesota building:

Monday, Aug. 29: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

1:00 PM Swimming & Diving
2:00 PM Rowing
3:00 PM Men's Hockey
3:30 PM Track & Field and Cross Country

Tuesday, Aug. 30: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

1:00 PM Women's Hockey
1:30 PM Women's Tennis
2:00 PM Men's Golf
2:30 PM Gymnastics
3:00 PM Soccer
3:30 PM Women's Golf

Wednesday, Aug. 31: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

1:00 PM Softball
1:30 PM Women's Basketball
2:00 PM Baseball
2:30 PM Men's Basketball
3:00 PM Wrestling

More information about all of the University of Minnesota activities at the State Fair can be found by visiting the links above.

I wonder if the youngsters were nervous talking into the mic in front of the crowd. Doesn't look like it.

1662029123518.png

I think by the time you're an 18 year old athlete of some renown who's had a sports guy's mic or camera in your face after a game, or had to give presentations in class or been in a few plays during your school days, not to mention all the social media posts on IG or TikTok, you're very comfortable speaking to a small group or interviewer.

I think by the time you're an 18 year old athlete of some renown who's had a sports guy's mic or camera in your face after a game, or had to give presentations in class or been in a few plays during your school days, not to mention all the social media posts on IG or TikTok, you're very comfortable speaking to a small group or interviewer.
But this is different. When you do interviews as a representative of the basketball team, you are going to be asked questions that you are not allowed to answer. People try to get information out of you, try to get you to say things that your coaches have specifically asked you not to reply to, and it’s hard. Especially at 18. It took my daughter quite a while to learn how to talk around those questions. And even now, she still has to be very careful about what she says in interviews.

Last edited:

But this is different. When you do interviews as a representative of the basketball team, you are going to be asked questions that you are not allowed to answer. People try to get information out of you, try to get you to say things that your coaches have specifically asked you not to reply to, and it’s hard. Especially at 18. It took my daughter quite a while to learn how to talk around those questions. And even now, she still has to be very careful about what she says in interviews.
Maybe for some, but as someone who has interviewed quite a few athletes on radio pre-or-post games, there are very few that seem nervous, particularly over the last 10 years or so. (I do remember Larry Allen, as a junior college freshman, being pretty nervous-but he was a fairly rare case) Usually, the ones that are apprehensive, are generally pretty shy and soft-spoken around strangers anyway, and tend to loosen up pretty well once you get into the conversation.

Granted, when I interview players, my goal is not to stir up controversy and throw somebody under the bus. I understand that for "some" media types, that's their specific goal, but I think more and more young athletes today are very aware and know when to drop into "coach-speak" mode. At least, that's been my experience.

Regarding your comment about your daughter and interviews, is she truly nervous or just aware and careful?

Maybe for some, but as someone who has interviewed quite a few athletes on radio pre-or-post games, there are very few that seem nervous, particularly over the last 10 years or so. (I do remember Larry Allen, as a junior college freshman, being pretty nervous-but he was a fairly rare case) Usually, the ones that are apprehensive, are generally pretty shy and soft-spoken around strangers anyway, and tend to loosen up pretty well once you get into the conversation.

Granted, when I interview players, my goal is not to stir up controversy and throw somebody under the bus. I understand that for "some" media types, that's their specific goal, but I think more and more young athletes today are very aware and know when to drop into "coach-speak" mode. At least, that's been my experience.

Regarding your comment about your daughter and interviews, is she truly nervous or just aware and careful?
When she first started out, she was nervous. I think her first interview was after being named player of the game for a holiday tournament, at 16. Now, she is very poised, but she is very aware and careful, as you put it. She has learned how to talk around certain questions.

Top Bottom