Gophers running backs Mohamed Ibrahim, Trey Potts have workloads managed in opener by P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

When the Gophers finished the first half of Thursday night's football season opener against New Mexico State with Tanner Morgan's 1-yard quarterback sneak for a touchdown, the lead grew to 24-0, leaving little doubt about which team would win.

Still, there were a couple of questions left to be answered:

1. Would the Gophers cover the 36½-point spread set by the Las Vegas oddsmakers? They did, winning 38-0.

2. How long would the Gophers leave their starters in the game? That answer varied.

The second question carried much more intrigue and importance than the first because of the circumstances surrounding the Gophers backfield. Both starting running back Mohamed Ibrahim and primary backup Trey Potts were returning from season-ending injuries. They took their first live contact in a game in 12 and 11 months, respectively.

Coach P.J. Fleck had to balance wanting Ibrahim and Potts to get plenty of work, but not too much to avoid the chance of injury. Fleck liked where he landed, with Ibrahim rushing 21 times for 132 yards and two TDs and Potts carrying 17 times for 89 yards and a score.

"When you look at their carries, that was very manageable for Game 1," Fleck said. "… You only get 11 [more] guaranteed opportunities. That's 33 total hours over the next three months of work, and we're gonna have to do what it takes to win football games."

Go Gophers!!

I am sure we will see a heavy dose of Mo when we are in high leverage situations. But when possible it would be great to see a pretty even split between Mo and Potts with Williams and others worked in as well.

Not sure I agree with that article title
I would have guessed that "Mohamed Ibrahim, Trey Potts have workloads managed in opener by P.J. Fleck" would have been valid before they had any injury issues.

That seems to be what coaches do to some degree with everyone on the roster.

LeCaptain time?
No, I’m guessing they like Nubin and Grand behind Williams. I wonder when they will get Evans in. Maybe they are hoping to keep his redshirt and are being strategic with his four games. I would probably try to get him in against Colorado for his first game to get his feet wet in what will still hopefully be a low leverage spot.

No, I’m guessing they like Nubin and Grand behind Williams. I wonder when they will get Evans in. Maybe they are hoping to keep his redshirt and are being strategic with his four games. I would probably try to get him in against Colorado for his first game to get his feet wet in what will still hopefully be a low leverage spot.
Pretty sure there were reports that he was unavailable for the NMSU game due to injury but maybe I dreamed it.

Yeah, would really like to see Evans get a couple carries in the next 2 games, see what he can do.

I saw him lining up at fullback. I wonder if they'll ever hand it off to him in a goal line situation.

Anyone else think that Williams looked faster than remembered? Both my buddies and I were kind of like “Wow, he looks pretty fast! Was he always that fast?”

I thought Bryce looked pretty darn good against Nebraska last year.

Anyone else think that Williams looked faster than remembered? Both my buddies and I were kind of like “Wow, he looks pretty fast! Was he always that fast?”
That was his one of his only redeeming qualities for his first three years here. His ability to bounce the play outside with speed was really evidenced against Wisconsin when we beat them in 2018

He might be getting input from Mo about how much he wants to play. Mo wants to showcase himself for both the NFL and an outside shot at Heisman consideration.

He has always been deceptively fast. For whatever reason you don't expect it with him but he is.

Pretty sure there were reports that he was unavailable for the NMSU game due to injury but maybe I dreamed it.
I'm assuming it was injury for Evans. He came out of the tunnel with no pads- just jersey. First thing I noticed when they came out was he and Jackson weren't suited up.

Yeah, would really like to see Evans get a couple carries in the next 2 games, see what he can do.
I disagree with that. Conventional Wisdom says yes burn his 4 now…but if you wait and there are injuries he could end up being the number 2 back in November without burning a redshirt

I disagree with that. Conventional Wisdom says yes burn his 4 now…but if you wait and there are injuries he could end up being the number 2 back in November without burning a redshirt
I think that if you reach the point in November where he’s the number 2 back, I’d rather not have his first ever collegiate carries come in a big moment against Iowa or something. If he has to play in more than 2 big ten games I’m less concerned with the redshirt than making sure he’s ready.

I think that if you reach the point in November where he’s the number 2 back, I’d rather not have his first ever collegiate carries come in a big moment against Iowa or something. If he has to play in more than 2 big ten games I’m less concerned with the redshirt than making sure he’s ready.
That’s making the assumption he is the number 2 back due to injury

I doubt he plays at all if not due to injury

Bryce, I believe, is faster than Mo or Trey. Doesn’t have Mo’s vision, which is a gift that can’t be taught. Doesn’t have Trey’s shiftiness. But Bryce can turn the corner or break past the LBs and take it to the house … and he can catch a pass, too. I miss Ky and Bucky, but we’ve still go a lot of talent—experienced, mature talent—at RB. Hope they all play a lot and stay healthy.

Bryce, I believe, is faster than Mo or Trey. Doesn’t have Mo’s vision, which is a gift that can’t be taught. Doesn’t have Trey’s shiftiness. But Bryce can turn the corner or break past the LBs and take it to the house … and he can catch a pass, too. I miss Ky and Bucky, but we’ve still go a lot of talent—experienced, mature talent—at RB. Hope they all play a lot and stay healthy.

Bryce has a healthy highlight reel given his small number of carries. He's the type of back that can enter play in the second half and break open long runs after the defense wears down.

Yeah, I think it would be wise to play him either this week and or next week. He’s likely the number 2 or maybe even 1b to Potts next season so wouldn’t hurt to even burn the shirt that much anyways.

Yeah Bryce was a track guy in high school. He’s always had speed.

That’s making the assumption he is the number 2 back due to injury

I doubt he plays at all if not due to injury
Yes, this is making the assumption that he’s the number 2 back due to injury, because this is literally responding to YOUR post that says “if you wait and there are injuries, he could end up being the number 2 back in November”.

If Evans is onboard with redshirting (aka he wont seem a transfer since he’s most likely next man up) i think that would he the way to go.

I think it makes sense to hold off on putting him in while everyone is healthy. Then if you have a few games where a few of the RBs are banged up, maybe have to sit out a game or two, then you have him available. But could still keep him to 4 games or less.

Top Bottom