Gophers RPI trivia

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Since the NCAA started using the RPI as a measuring tool (beginning with the 1993-94 season) for college basketball teams, can you name the season(s):

(A) the Gophers had their worst RPI?

(B) the Gophers had their best RPI (excluding the Final Four season of 1996-97 when they finished #4)?

Answers at 2 p.m. (no cheating, please)

You'd think '06-'07 would have to be on the worst list.....

Are we excluding all those "vacated" seasons for best RPI?

The answers

I do not exclude any Gopher seasons, no matter what the NCAA ruled. They happened (albeit we cheated), so I count 'em. Ditto for any other school that got busted for cheating.

Best (other than 1996-97): #24 in 1993-94 & 1998-99 seasons. Gophers made it to 2nd in round in '94, lost in 1st round in '99.

Worst: 2006-07 was an easy one. The Gophers finished #190 in the Dan Monson swan song.

Another Gopher RPI factoid. ... they've finished outside the top 100 on only 4 occasions, 3 times under Monson and once under Tubby (#101 in 1st season).

Another Gopher RPI factoid. ... they've finished outside the top 100 on only 4 occasions, 3 times under Monson and once under Tubby (#101 in 1st season).

I'm sorry Hodger but that is impossible. I demand a recalculation.

Art, as long as Tubby remains our coach, I like our chances of never finishing 101+ again.

Of course, that's assuming a key recruit can refrain from stealing & assaulting an authority figure while at a mall, and then stay out of residence hall he is prohibited from visiting. And yet there are those who think Royce's presence at that residence hall with his "buds" is purely coincidental, making them more naive than Gomer Pyle. Gollllllllleeeeeeeee. I'm amazed the lengths people will go just to justify getting a kid on a basketball court.

No, I'm not saying Tubby shouldn't have recruited him. But yes, not one person should be surprised it could come to this. When you take a risk, sometimes you're going to get burned. This time, it was the Gopher basketball program. Gopher hoops isn't the first to take a risk, and they certainly won't be the last. At some point folks need to turn the page and move on.

Top Bottom