Gophers RPI is #81

TheSportsAce

Chief Executive Gopher Rube
Reaction score
I was just looking through some rankings, and it appears the Gophers' RPI today is #81. Some interesting nuggets:

--The Gophers' SOS is 222 right now. Clearly that is sinking us like an anchor in water, but obviously it will get better.
--National powers ahead of us right now include the likes of Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist and Lamar.
--The Gophers are 1-0 against the current RPI Top 25 (St. John's) and 3-0 vs. the top 100.
--Arkansas, who's 3-0 and our opponent tomorrow, is currently #83 due to their own over-200 SOS.

There's obviously not much to infer here, or many judgments we can make about anything. Just think it's interesting...

It's tough to judge a lot of these numbers until closer to the conference schedule. I noticed that Elon has an RPI of 7 right now. Who the hell is Elon? I feel like it is just a guy named Leon putting together the rankings, because they mean so little now, and he spelled his name wrong.

Don't get me started on the RPI. Maybe there is more than one site creating an RPI, but the one I check has Michigan State with an RPI of 5 while Kentucky has an RPI of 11. Michigan State is 2-2 with a loss to KENTUCKY, while Kentucky is 4-0. Michigan State's victories are over Florida Gulf Coast by 1 and over Mississippi Valley State. Way too much credit for "good" loses, it's a terrible analytic.

I was just looking through some rankings, and it appears the Gophers' RPI today is #81. Some interesting nuggets:

--The Gophers' SOS is 222 right now. Clearly that is sinking us like an anchor in water, but obviously it will get better.
--National powers ahead of us right now include the likes of Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist and Lamar.
--The Gophers are 1-0 against the current RPI Top 25 (St. John's) and 3-0 vs. the top 100.
--Arkansas, who's 3-0 and our opponent tomorrow, is currently #83 due to their own over-200 SOS.

There's obviously not much to infer here, or many judgments we can make about anything. Just think it's interesting...
Realizing it is early year, but 81 with three wins on RPI under 100 and SJ under 25? That appears bizarre with Gopher scoring also considered.

3-0 against top 100 schools
1-0 vs top 25 schools

Makes perfect sense

There is no point in looking at RPI numbers until at least mid-January. That's when they start to make a little more sense

RPI is known for being useless at the beginning of the season. No one should be getting stressed about anyone's RPI at this point. It becomes more reliable as the season progresses.

Top Bottom