Gophers Remaining schedule

Shaky Legs

Reaction score
What are your thoughts about the Gopher’s remaining games? They need two more wins to be bowl eligible. Rutgers and Maryland seem to be the most likely. Any others?

I do think the Gophers will find at least two more wins to get to a minimum crappy bowl. If the football gods level the karma from the Michigan and Carolina games, they might even dig up two more for an 8-4 season and a decent bowl.

In order of likelihood of victory, I say…

1. Maryland
2. Rutgers
3. Illinois
4. Wisconsin
5. Penn State

3 and 4 are interchangeable to me.

Those are probably the two most likely
ESPN FPI:
OpponentMinnesota Win Probability
Vs. Maryland64%
@ Illinois 50% (?!)
@ Rutgers49.4%
Vs. Penn State27.9%
@ Wisconsin35.3% (?!)

The weeks out have higher uncertainty but I don’t know about that Wisconsin game. They are not good and maybe I’ve been drinking that Maroon and Gold Kool-aid but that seems like much more of a 50/50 game to me.

Also surprised that the Illinois is a 50/50 I thought they would have the edge at home

I do think the Gophers will find at least two more wins to get to a minimum crappy bowl. If the football gods level the karma from the Michigan and Carolina games, they might even dig up two more for an 8-4 season and a decent bowl.
Karma!?
The Gophers lost both games fair and square. No karma involved with poor execution resulting in a loss.
The way Brosmer is now playing, the Gophers have a chance to win every game on their schedule.

Karma!?
The Gophers lost both games fair and square. No karma involved with poor execution resulting in a loss.
The way Brosmer is now playing, the Gophers have a chance to win every game on their schedule.
Carolina was fair and square. We lost because of our mishaps. They also have a very good RB.

Michigan not so much. They, literally, changed the rules mid-season because Michigan game was not. That's not me saying it wasn't fair, that's the Big 10.

Karma!?
You might want to look up karma. It can take different forms. Having the pre season kicker of the year miss two field goals in a two point loss is certainly fair and square, but also some bad luck.

Having a bad call cost you the Michigan game is bad luck too. Perhaps some good bounces and fortunate events lead to a couple extra wins down the stretch - leveling “karma”.

Should be able to win at least two more. I'd pretty fairly pleased if they won three more (because at least one win would be against Wisconsin, Bert, or a highly ranked PSU) and made a decent bowl game.

ESPN FPI:
Vs. Maryland64%
@ Illinois50% (?!)
@ Rutgers49.4%
Vs. Penn State27.9%
@ Wisconsin35.3% (?!)

The weeks out have higher uncertainty but I don’t know about that Wisconsin game. They are not good and maybe I’ve been drinking that Maroon and Gold Kool-aid but that seems like much more of a 50/50 game to me.

Also surprised that the Illinois is a 50/50 I thought they would have the edge at home
Wisconsin stomped Rutgers at Rutgers...Rutgers may not be good but they thought they were until Wisconsin rolled up 549 yards of offense against them. Wisconsin has a tough schedule....factor might be how beat up we each get.

I think we can put Maryland in the must win category and we don't always do well with those.

Let's run the fucking table
baby-scream.gif

No sure wins but we should beat Maryland as long as we play up to our capabilities.

Need to at least split with Illinois and Rutgers. Rutgers is probably the most winnable of the two but I'm not overly impressed with Illinois so think both games are winnable if we play well.

Penn State at home will be tough but you never know.

Wisconsin has played well the past couple weeks but I'm not sold they have things figured out.

Rest of the schedule isn't easy, especially with 3 of the 5 on the road and 2 against teams that are currently ranked but the chance is there for a good finish to the year. As we sit here today 3-2 or maybe even 4-1 feels possible but a lot will change for all the teams involved over the remaining weeks so things could look very different when we actually play teams based on injuries and other factors.

I'm thinking USC very easily could have beaten Penn State, and since we beat USC, there's no reason we can't beat them at home. Every other team on the schedule can be had. Illinois is always tough.

Need to at least split with Illinois and Rutgers. Rutgers is probably the most winnable of the two but I'm not overly impressed with Illinois so think both games are winnable if we play well.

I certainly would predict Rutgers as more likely. If we can hold down Monongai and force Athan to pass more, I like our chances. We've had 6 interceptions in the last three Big Ten games. Plus the announcers were saying yesterday that Rutgers was fairly banged up.

I'm anticipating too much anxiety on a weekly basis to start thinking thst far ahead🤣

Very true. All of the games with power conference opponents, except Iowa, have been nail biters. We probably are less fatalistic after a poor first half than we would have been a month ago since we've scored a total of 56 points in the second halves of the last three games.

In order of likelihood of victory, I say…

1. Maryland
2. Rutgers
3. Illinois
4. Wisconsin
5. Penn State

3 and 4 are interchangeable to me.
Spot on. Someone can do the stats pretty easily using FPI, but I think 6-6 is most likely followed by 7-5, 5-7, 8-4, 9-3, and 4-8.

ESPN FPI:
Vs. Maryland64%
@ Illinois50% (?!)
@ Rutgers49.4%
Vs. Penn State27.9%
@ Wisconsin35.3% (?!)

Wisconsin is good but so are we.

Karma!?
Losing a game because the referees made a horrible mistake, proved conclusively by pictures, that changed the outcome of the game is fair and square? No video review is fair and square? No, it is not fair and square.

We are 4-3 right now, but could easily be 6-1 (wins against UNC & Michigan) or 2-5 (losses to USC & UCLA). We can beat any of the remaining teams on our schedule and our bye weeks are at excellent times - this coming weekend and before the Penn State game. I think we've demonstrated that about every B1G game we play this year will be a toss up except Penn State. Don't watch the Gophers if you have a weak heart!

We are 4-3 right now, but could easily be 6-1 (wins against UNC & Michigan) or 2-5 (losses to USC & UCLA). We can beat any of the remaining teams on our schedule and our bye weeks are at excellent times - this coming weekend and before the Penn State game. I think we've demonstrated that about every B1G game we play this year will be a toss up except Penn State. Don't watch the Gophers if you have a weak heart!
Well said. I am expecting most of the games to go right to the wire unfortunately. Will make it stressful and exciting, hopefully we come out on the right side more often then not.

Losing a game because the referees made a horrible mistake, proved conclusively by pictures, that changed the outcome of the game is fair and square? No video review is fair and square? No, it is not fair and square.
Sorry, but if the blown offside call against Michigan wasn’t’ made, a victory wasn’t guaranteed.

Top Bottom