Gophers receive a commitment from La Porte, Texas DL Albert Regis!

per Jace:

Albert Regis had essentially played one game at defensive line through his sophomore year at La Porte High School in Texas. He was a tight end first and foremost, and a dominant one. But then Anthony Renfro got La Porte’s head coaching job in February of 2019.

Renfro is a defensive coach at heart, and when he saw Regis’ size, strength and speed, he saw a star defensive lineman.

Regis committed to Minnesota on Tuesday, making him the 14th member of the Gophers’ currently top-10 ranked Class of 2021. Regis is listed at 6-foot-1, 290 pounds on his Hudl page, with a 4.61 40-yard dash. Renfro said the big man can bench press more than 400 pounds, and squats more than 600.
And while he’s listed as a defensive tackle, Regis said the Gophers have talked about using him as a “Swiss Army tool” in their defense.

“[P.J. Fleck] said that I could play D-tackle, end, I could do stand-up rush and drop back in coverage,” Regis said. “Like a Jadeveon Clowney-type of thing.”

Go Gophers!!

Regis is a beast! Feels pretty good beating out a bunch of good Texas programs for a player from there

4.61 40 from a guy that's almost 300 pounds?

i like the idea of moving this guy around on the dline!

And an honor roll student. PJ and company are on quite a recruiting roll here!

I don't always watch the Hudl highlights of our early commits, but Regis' were really impressive. The kid is a coordinated athlete with real speed at ~260 or whatever he played at last season. I feel like he could play a role in our mutli TE sets and on special teams if for some reason DT doesn't work. The only negative I see is that I don't see him helping much on run downs against the Iowa's and Wisconsin's of the world with his smaller frame. That said, it's not hard to imagine him giving being a terror on passing downs.

I wonder what he could bring as a linebacker.

If he actually is 6'1" and around 290 pounds, those are not the highlights or movement of a 3 star player. That kind of lateral ability, speed and fluidity is really uncommon for someone as big as he apparently is.

The concern would be him getting too big. ASU had a guy who was pretty similar a while back named Will Sutton. He was a 1st team All American at 275ish. They tried to make him a 300 pounder and it did not work out.

You always wonder about these. Was he not getting along with the other commitments through their social communications, decided he didn't like the academic commitment he was going to take under Fleck, or getting an offer to play with a buddy.

Regardless anyone can be a football player, but it takes a special guy to be a Gopher Football Player.

Top Bottom