Gophers receive a commitment from IMG Academy linebacker Jaqwondis Burns

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from IMG Academy outside linebacker Jaqwondis Burns. Following a coaching change, Burns recently decommitted from Ole Miss. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound linebacker also held offers from Colorado, Louisville, Texas, Utah, Arizona, Baylor, Purdue and others. Minnesota is continuing to look for versatile and disruptive athletes at the linebacker position. Burns certainly fits the above description and is a big addition to the 2020 class. He moves really well from sideline-to-sideline and created several pass breakups in coverage. Burns was frequently used in different blitz packages and caused disruptions. His range and ability to change direction on a dime really stand out. He is another player with above average athleticism that can be developed in Minnesota’s scheme.

Here’s a look at one of his notable senior film cuts:

Full junior film:

Last edited:

Congrats!

The IMG pipeline is alive and well.

When I saw that the Gophers offered him Dec. 3rd, he became my top target. Putting him together with Itayvion and Cody Lindenberg should be interesting!!

Don't know anything about him but if lots of other schools want him I'm glad he's going to be a Gopher!

Might see some of these guys sooner than later with the defensive openings we have.

Don’t forget about Finnessy.

I’m intrigued by him. He was named first team all state again, playing corner at 6’3” 225. I don’t really understand why he didn’t play LB, but if has the athleticism to play corner, I guess that’s good. I think he’s a high motor guy too.

In the old days the Gophers would hide him
and his parents in a motel until signing day.

The Gophers have received a commitment from IMG Academy outside linebacker Jaqwondis Burns. Following a coaching change, Burns recently decommitted from Ole Miss. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound linebacker also held offers from Colorado, Louisville, Texas, Utah, Arizona, Baylor, Purdue and others. Minnesota is continuing to look for versatile and disruptive athletes at the linebacker position. Burns certainly fits the above description and is a big addition to the 2020 class. He moves really well from sideline-to-sideline and created several pass breakups in coverage. Burns was frequently used in different blitz packages and caused disruptions. His range and ability to change direction on a dime really stand out. He is another player with above average athleticism that can be developed in Minnesota’s scheme.

Here’s a look at one of his notable senior film cuts:

Full junior film:

Daniel, many thanks for this, with all the details - and for other reports like it. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom