Gophers Rashod Bateman had scary battle with COVID-19, recovered and now 'so happy' - Strib

If he had to decide the safer choice between playing FB at MN, or taking a family trip to CA, it would not be traveling to CA. Poor choice for someone preaching caution.
California is a very large place, with a very geographically diverse set of of areas. You should go some time. Highly recommend it, even if you don't get anywhere near the major urban areas.

I would in particular reccommend the northern part of the state and its giant trees, the Redwoods. Pictures just don't do them justice. Standing there next to a 1000 year old, almost 400 foot tall, living thing ... it definitely leaves an impression.

Bateman's narrative makes sense when you add the fact that the fear in August was that everyone who had Covid was not going to have heart issues. Opting out because of Covid fears make sense. Plus, with the new protocols there is medical examinations that make sure the heart is fine if he plays. Both of his statements are true. The only thing that changed was it was not a fear of getting Covid, it was a fear of what Covid may do to his body. His body is his ticket to the NFL and if that is taken from him he literally loses millions. Glad he is back and glad he is using his voice to RTB and make a difference.
He had Covid when he opted out.

My gut tells me the NCAA just said "bleep it" and handed out waivers to anyone who wanted them.
Because - if a player says they opted out due to health-related concerns, and the NCAA denies a waiver, then they look really bad, and the powers-that-be just decided it wasn't worth the bad press, so they said bleep it, give everyone a waiver and let them play. it's a one-year-only situation that will likely never come up again, so no precedent is set.

covid is like a get-out-of-jail free card. no matter the issue, you can say your decision is based on covid and it's hard to argue.

Top Bottom