Gophers Ranked #1

I'm a little surprised, but the Gophers retain #1 over UND. And with that, both the Gopher men's and Gopher women's hockey teams are #1 in the country. I reckon it's been a while since that happened.

Was just wondering about this. Does anybody know the last time it happened?

Was just wondering about this. Does anybody know the last time it happened?
Based on this football game I'll probably have time to look tonight. The last time the men were #1 was 2014 so I'll start there and go backwards. It'll likely be some time in 2013-14 if not early 2014-15. Women were a powerhouse back then

Based on this football game I'll probably have time to look tonight. The last time the men were #1 was 2014 so I'll start there and go backwards. It'll likely be some time in 2013-14 if not early 2014-15. Women were a powerhouse back then
That's about the timeline I was thinking as well. Let me know what you find out! 😊

That's about the timeline I was thinking as well. Let me know what you find out! 😊
October 27, 2014

Men
USCHO: #1 (unanimous)
USA Hockey: #1 (33/34 1st place votes)

Women (who won the championship that year)
USA Hockey: #1 (unanimous)

October 27, 2014

Men
USA Hockey: #1 (33/34 1st place votes)

Women (who won the championship that year)
USA Hockey: #1 (unanimous)
Sorta off topic, but I always thought the Women's team deserved more attention then they get. They've been a team for 23 years, and in that time they've had 7 championships (2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016), 14 Frozen Four appearances (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019), and 17 NCAA Tournament appearances (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019).

Like I understand there are fewer teams, and less history in Women's hockey so there are fewer places the premiere talent decide to go, but that is still really impressive. Student tickets are free, and public tickets are like $10-$15 if I remember correctly but they rarely reach half capacity in Ridder. Only times I've seen Ridder full is when they play Wisconsin and when the Frozen Four was hosted there.

Looks like UND will host a regional in Fargo as planned and should the Gophers get a 1 seed will need to travel out east.

Best case scenario would have been a full tournament bubble in St. Paul. For those of you that don't follow religiously, the Gophers have only won one NCAA tournament game outside of Minnesota since 2008. New coach now, though.
Motzko's playoff history is brutally bad as well.

Who have the Gophers played? ....UND has had a far more difficult schedule.
Don't mind him. He doesn't think SCSU is that good when any of UND, SCSU, and probably Duluth could have gone 11-1 with the Gophers' schedule so far.

Motzko's playoff history is brutally bad as well.
wasn't he alright at SCSU (I think 5-8 if my math is right in the NCAA tournament) with a FF appearance? I feel like he gets the bum rap due to the loss to Ferris State (we all remember our Holy Cross moment) but they won some games under him. When you get to the last 8, there's so much parity and in a single game elimination tournament, well there's a reason why we don't have as many nattys as we'd like to think based on talent alone.

wasn't he alright at SCSU (I think 5-8 if my math is right in the NCAA tournament) with a FF appearance? I feel like he gets the bum rap due to the loss to Ferris State (we all remember our Holy Cross moment) but they won some games under him. When you get to the last 8, there's so much parity and in a single game elimination tournament, well there's a reason why we don't have as many nattys as we'd like to think based on talent alone.
He did struggle overall when you look at some of the powerhouse teams he had

He did struggle overall when you look at some of the powerhouse teams he had
I'm an SCSU fan....So some of the tournament losses are etched in my brain.... Being the top overall seed and losing in the first round to American International was beyond painful..lol

Sorta off topic, but I always thought the Women's team deserved more attention then they get. They've been a team for 23 years, and in that time they've had 7 championships (2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016), 14 Frozen Four appearances (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019), and 17 NCAA Tournament appearances (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019).

Like I understand there are fewer teams, and less history in Women's hockey so there are fewer places the premiere talent decide to go, but that is still really impressive. Student tickets are free, and public tickets are like $10-$15 if I remember correctly but they rarely reach half capacity in Ridder. Only times I've seen Ridder full is when they play Wisconsin and when the Frozen Four was hosted there.
There is no doubt the women have been an absolute juggernaut program. Even their down years aren't really "down" years.

Case and point: They're 8-1 and ranked no. 1, but I haven't been particularly impressed when I've watched them this year.

But when you are a dominant program that has won a national title roughly once every three years in your history, it becomes a bit easier to be discerning.

I'm an SCSU fan....So some of the tournament losses are etched in my brain.... Being the top overall seed and losing in the first round to American International was beyond painful..lol

I am too. And it was Air Force.

Oh....and I'm obviously a Gophers fan as well.

If UND wins on Sunday they are the new #1. This time I'd put money on it.

It was both Air Force and American. As well as Ferris State(though Cloud was the #2 overall 1 seed this year).

Its been bad.

Do you have some sort of vendetta against St. Cloud or something? Seems like you decided to show up and talk shit when they lose to WMU....but were hiding or something last week when they swept UMD in Duluth.

Do you have some sort of vendetta against St. Cloud or something? Seems like you decided to show up and talk shit when they lose to WMU....but were hiding or something last week when they swept UMD in Duluth.

How is that a Vendetta???

You incorrectly tried to correct him. I correctly, corrected you.

Cloud is notorious for choking big games. And no, I am a heavy SCSU hockey follower. I am just stating facts.

How is that a Vendetta???

You incorrectly tried to correct him. I correctly, corrected you.

Cloud is notorious for choking big games. And no, I am a heavy SCSU hockey follower. I am just stating facts.

Because you are trying very hard to degrade the team for previous tournament results. Different teams with different rosters. A silly thing to do that has zero impact on the team this year. It's like counting Virginia out of the NCAA Basketball tournament last year (they won the championship) because the previous year they became the first team to lose their opening round game to a 16 seed as a 1 seed. Foolish to say the least.

And while he was correct about the American loss....there was nothing wrong about what I said either.

Bonin was correct with his statement below:

Don't mind him. He doesn't think SCSU is that good when any of UND, SCSU, and probably Duluth could have gone 11-1 with the Gophers' schedule so far.

Because you are trying very hard to degrade the team for previous tournament results. Different teams with different rosters. A silly thing to do that has zero impact on the team this year. It's like counting Virginia out of the NCAA Basketball tournament last year (they won the championship) because the previous year they became the first team to lose their opening round game to a 16 seed as a 1 seed. Foolish to say the least.

And while he was correct about the American loss....there was nothing wrong about what I said either.

Bonin was correct with his statement below:

I didn't degrade anything. I pointed out that they lost as a 1 seed, 3 consecutive trips. That was the topic at hand. If you are too incompetent to see that, its a personal problem.

No, what you said was not wrong. You correcting him is what was wrong. Which is why I pointed out you were both in fact correct. Which then sent you into a tailspin.

Bonin wasnt even talking about me lol. You just hate facts. Its the MO of incompetent people.

I didn't degrade anything. I pointed out that they lost as a 1 seed, 3 consecutive trips. That was the topic at hand. If you are too incompetent to see that, its a personal problem.

No, what you said was not wrong. You correcting him is what was wrong. Which is why I pointed out you were both in fact correct. Which then sent you into a tailspin.

Bonin wasnt even talking about me lol. You just hate facts. Its the MO of incompetent people.

The point is that you are too incompetent to realize that previous year results have zero impact on a current year team. It's a statistic for mindless, superstitious drones.

I made a small error and you lost your shit over it. Probably because I'm pointing out that you are incredibly flawed using past results and future projections.

So Bonin wasn't referring to you. The FACT is that what he said applies perfectly to you. But it seems you believe you are infallible in your future projections, which you very much are not.

Um, yeah, about those top rankings...neither team is anywhere near worthy of being called the "best" right now. The women were a trainwreck vs. Sconny and the men just got swept at home by mediocre Notre Dame.

:rolleyes: (n)

The schedule to get to 10-0 was weak everyone should have seen that. This isn't a top five team in the country at the moment. Probably not even top ten. They will probably come in at 3-5 Monday but that's just because voters don't like to make big changes.

The point is that you are too incompetent to realize that previous year results have zero impact on a current year team. It's a statistic for mindless, superstitious drones.

I made a small error and you lost your shit over it. Probably because I'm pointing out that you are incredibly flawed using past results and future projections.

So Bonin wasn't referring to you. The FACT is that what he said applies perfectly to you. But it seems you believe you are infallible in your future projections, which you very much are not.

Are you stupid???

You literally corrected a different poster(incorrectly) about St clouds past results against American and Ferris State. I simply responded to "stats" already mentioned. I didn't bring up any "mindless" stat.

For future, if you are going to be so mentally frail when called out. Maybe just dont say anything at all. You were wrong, and now you are back pedaling.

Also I'd suggest you learn what the word "fact" means. What he said doesnt apply to me, actually if you had any sort of sense at all you would see that on a different thread I defended the starts of SCSU/UMD/UND against that exact poster when he said they were not impressive.

You are a complete clown show.

Are you stupid???

You literally corrected a different poster(incorrectly) about St clouds past results against American and Ferris State. I simply responded to "stats" already mentioned. I didn't bring up any "mindless" stat.

For future, if you are going to be so mentally frail when called out. Maybe just dont say anything at all. You were wrong, and now you are back pedaling.

Also I'd suggest you learn what the word "fact" means. What he said doesnt apply to me, actually if you had any sort of sense at all you would see that on a different thread I defended the starts of SCSU/UMD/UND against that exact poster when he said they were not impressive.

You are a complete clown show.

Yes. Bringing up historical results as a future projection is a mindless stat. Other posters have called it out too and you've stubbornly decided to go down with the ship. Clearly your mental status has been shattered by being called out on it because you are now throwing a temper tantrum.

Sure. I was wrong about the American result. I had forgotten about it and said Air Force. You decided to pounce on it as a easily identified deflection from your silly take about historical results being some kind of curse.

But keep telling yourself otherwise. It's pretty obvious to anyone reading these.

Yes. Bringing up historical results as a future projection is a mindless stat. Other posters have called it out too and you've stubbornly decided to go down with the ship. Clearly your mental status has been shattered by being called out on it because you are now throwing a temper tantrum.

Sure. I was wrong about the American result. I had forgotten about it and said Air Force. You decided to pounce on it as a easily identified deflection from your silly take about historical results being some kind of curse.

But keep telling yourself otherwise. It's pretty obvious to anyone reading these.

Again, you brought it up. I literally quoted you here. And I didnt pounce on anything. I pointed out that they did in fact lose to American...and Air Force....and Ferris State. For some reason that caused a meltdown and you still havent recovered.

Its pretty obvious to anyone reading this that you have gotten so bent out of shape that you have spammed the hockey board with mindless college basketball analogies

Again, you brought it up. I literally quoted you here. And I didnt pounce on anything. I pointed out that they did in fact lose to American...and Air Force....and Ferris State. For some reason that caused a meltdown and you still havent recovered.

Its pretty obvious to anyone reading this that you have gotten so bent out of shape that you have spammed the hockey board with mindless college basketball analogies

You claimed from the very start of the other thread....when talking about the top teams in the NCAA....that SCSU shouldn't be considered. But you did claim that ND (who SCSU split with) and UMD (who SCSU has taken three of four from) are on that level. I even said that I don't think that SCSU is as good as the Gophers. But I specifically pointed out that previous tournaments have zero implications with the current year. Different team with different players. For some odd reason, likely stemming from an unhealthy hubris, you've continued to press on with the thought that it really does matter. That curses and ghosts carry forward to subsequent years.

I said that you were silly for thinking that. And you've proceeded to dig in further. My analogy with Marquette is that I wouldn't consider their underperformances, losing 5 of their last 12 first round games as a favorite, have any impact in future years. I knew that it was the kind of analogy that would force you to completely abandon your ridiculous initial claim.

I don't think Cloud is better than us. They do a great job of playing competitive against the good teams of the NCHC. But they are already very vulnerable to the clunkers, and come tourney time thats a specialty.

We are definitely deeper in talent. UND and UMD are tougher considering the talent gap greatly reduces if not completely. And those teams are obviously getting more consistently tested.

I think we can go toe to toe with both. UMD has that tourney magic tho.

You claimed from the very start of the other thread....when talking about the top teams in the NCAA....that SCSU shouldn't be considered. But you did claim that ND (who SCSU split with) and UMD (who SCSU has taken three of four from) are on that level. I even said that I don't think that SCSU is as good as the Gophers. But I specifically pointed out that previous tournaments have zero implications with the current year. Different team with different players. For some odd reason, likely stemming from an unhealthy hubris, you've continued to press on with the thought that it really does matter. That curses and ghosts carry forward to subsequent years.

I said that you were silly for thinking that. And you've proceeded to dig in further. My analogy with Marquette is that I wouldn't consider their underperformances, losing 5 of their last 12 first round games as a favorite, have any impact in future years. I knew that it was the kind of analogy that would force you to completely abandon your ridiculous initial claim.
Good post. This narrative from a small few out here of the clear superiority of the NCHC is without merit. SCSU just dropped two games to a three-win WMU.

Top Bottom