Gophers QBs ranked 89th in FBS

Can't really argue. Mitch was OK in the second half against Syracuse, but other than that, no one on the roster has shown a thing throwing the ball in a game.

How can it be bulletin board material when nothing has been done to prove it's disrespectful?

I would assume Mitch doesn't want to be the 89th best QB in the nation... I'd be motivated to prove them wrong but hey that's just me

I would assume Mitch doesn't want to be the 89th best QB in the nation... I'd be motivated to prove them wrong but hey that's just me

The phrase 'bulletin board material' is generally reserved for instances where a perceived slight has been spoken not 'hey, he's not very good right now but, gosh darnit, he does want to get better!'

The phrase 'bulletin board material' is generally reserved for instances where a perceived slight has been spoken not 'hey, he's not very good right now but, gosh darnit, he does want to get better!'

ha dooookay

We are a qb and a really good wr away from being a threat in our division, so prove them wrong.

From the article:
"The most important thing to note before you dive in: This is not simply a comparison of the talent level of the starters (we'll let the 2015 and 2016 NFL Drafts sort that out)."

I abhor this type of thinking. I don't give a rat's ass about how they do in the NFL (although this is an article from nfl.com, so they probably don't care what they did in college-and you know what I mean by that). I want a college QB to help my college team win at the collegiate level. Is that too redundant?

Here are some QB's off the top of my head that I would be happy to have been QB at "The U" that had less than stellar careers in the NFL:

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
JaMarcus Russell
Andre Ware
Joey Harrington
David Carr
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Tim Tebow
Andre Woodson
Akili Smith

Any others you can think of?

From the article:
"The most important thing to note before you dive in: This is not simply a comparison of the talent level of the starters (we'll let the 2015 and 2016 NFL Drafts sort that out)."

I abhor this type of thinking. I don't give a rat's ass about how they do in the NFL (although this is an article from nfl.com, so they probably don't care what they did in college-and you know what I mean by that). I want a college QB to help my college team win at the collegiate level. Is that too redundant?

Here are some QB's off the top of my head that I would be happy to have been QB at "The U" that had less than stellar careers in the NFL:

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
JaMarcus Russell
Andre Ware
Joey Harrington
David Carr
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Tim Tebow
Andre Woodson
Akili Smith

Everyone from Christian Ponder's QB draft class?

That ranking wasn't fair. How dare they look at how QB's actually performed!

That ranking wasn't fair. How dare they look at how QB's actually performed!

Exactly. Mitch clearly should be top 25, I mean sure he only started a handful of games and was pretty average to below average as a passer last year but dang it this is a massive slight to our program that they would dare rank our QB situation this low. Sure we have backups that have never seen the field but #89 is a joke.

The list clearly states they are looking at the whole QB situation and not just the starter. We may like the guys on the roster but in terms of proven performance and ability to date our QB situation is pretty suspect heading into the year. Sure it could all work out just fine but how anyone that thinks this ranking is a slight to Mitch or our team is just looking for a reason to be upset.

From the article:

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
JaMarcus Russell
Andre Ware
Joey Harrington
David Carr
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Tim Tebow
Andre Woodson
Akili Smith

Ryan Leaf. I grew up in Washington (Leaf was a Cougar), and I seem to remember a significant minority saying that his arm strength and potential would make him a better NFL quarterback than Peyton Manning, and advocating for him to be taken first in front of Manning.

Yes...that was exactly the intent of that list.

SMH

My point was that you are discrediting this list based on those guys being good college QBs but not good NFL ones. However, basically every guy on that list probably would have been ranked top 3 if they had made this list before those respective seasons if this author had written these then.

The issue is depth. Wilson and Campbell have 1 year of experience, and everyone else is green.

Before this thread gets derailed into the typical pissing match that happens on this board I am 99% sure that afurry91 was being sarcastic with his comment about needing 3 LB's and a couple of defensive linemen.

My point was that you are discrediting this list based on those guys being good college QBs but not good NFL ones. However, basically every guy on that list probably would have been ranked top 3 if they had made this list before those respective seasons if this author had written these then.

Not at all. I never complained about that list nor defended it.

You are the one that made the assumption that I though Mitch was too poorly rated by the writer. I have no complaints about where he placed the Gopher QB position as it sits today.

What irritates me is when people like this writer tell me that draft status and NFL careers ultimately tells me what college success is. I prefer to look at them as different phases.

Before this thread gets derailed into the typical pissing match that happens on this board I am 99% sure that afurry91 was being sarcastic with his comment about needing 3 LB's and a couple of defensive linemen.

Then I'm 99% sure you don't really know much about furry. He's always looking for a punch bowl to drop a turd into.

Anybody with half a brain realizes our QB situation is unenviable.

As of this minute, Mitch is below average, and we have no credible back up.

I'd swap situations with almost any team in the conference.

This is a problem so long as the QB still gets the ball every play.

The Phil situation went from bad to worse. There was no upside.

Last season I predicted Mitch's career high rushing yards would be from his very first game. Will I be proven right?

Forgot Cam was in that class. I'll give you that one; but, I can't, in good faith, accept that a redheaded quarterback is any good.

He's going to be one of my carry-over players in fantasy football...so I hope he does statistically well.

So Wilson and Campbell are useless now?

Unproven. Not useless.

Just like the WR and QB that were mentioned as being the missing pieces to a conference championship game. We have more unproven positions than just QB and WR. LB and DL are two more that have questions. The answers might be on the roster. They might not be.

Anybody with half a brain realizes our QB situation is unenviable.

As of this minute, Mitch is below average, and we have no credible back up.

I'd swap situations with almost any team in the conference.

This is a problem so long as the QB still gets the ball every play.

The Phil situation went from bad to worse. There was no upside.

Last season I predicted Mitch's career high rushing yards would be from his very first game. Will I be proven right?

I feel better about Mitch coming into this year than I did about Phil coming into last year. I agree that QB play is not our strength right now, but with what we are hoping our running game will be, we don't need to be world beaters. All that Mitch will need to do is show that he can consistently hit open guys on short routes, with the occasional downfield toss. We just need to pass well enough that the defense has to respect the possibility that we will complete a pass so as to open up our run game.

Unproven. Just like the WR and QB that were mentioned as being the missing pieces to a conference championship game. We have more unproven positions than just that. The answers might be on the roster. They might not be.

Wilson played practically every down last year. Call him what you want, but "unproven" doesn't seem to be an apt descriptor, especially for a JuCo transfer. Unproven is fair to assign to the WR and QB, because nearly all are one year (or less) removed from playing HS ball.

Wilson played practically every down last year. Call him what you want, but "unproven" doesn't seem to be an apt descriptor, especially for a JuCo transfer. Unproven is fair to assign to the WR and QB, because nearly all are one year (or less) removed from playing HS ball.

+1 I'd even say Campbell isn't really that unproven as well. Played significant snaps in all games, even started 2 of them and had 42 tackles. And of course we have 3 of our starters back on the D-line and 3 of the 4 reserves coming back including an All conference guy so i'm not sure where furry is going with that as well. Botticelli and Amaefula will be 3 year starters. Just because Scott Ekpe is starting who has actually played a lot means our entire D-line is "unproven"?

From the article:

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
JaMarcus Russell
Andre Ware
Joey Harrington
David Carr
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Tim Tebow
Andre Woodson
Akili Smith

No research on my part but Ohio State and Northwestern quarterbacks all seem pretty effective college quarterbacks from recent memory.
However, I don't think any have much NFL success? Just a thought, but it may have holes in it?

Top Bottom