Gophers QB Max Brosmer vs WI QB Tyler Van Dyke

AK had the 5th most passing attempts in the big ten
Part of that was getting our asses kicked numerous times and a parade of QBs at multiple other schools. He goes way down the list if you combine them. Even Iowa threw the ball more than us. He was 74th in the country in attempts. One would argue that is not a great number of attempts if you’re lower than half the ncaa despite playing almost every snap

Last edited:

I don't have a side in this debate, but I am curious about the stats.

Using only conference games stats, here are pass attempts in 2023:

1703500478316.png

And using all games stats:

1703500544119.png

Conclusion: Stating the stats for only AK can lead to an inaccurate conclusion. If we are comparing teams to teams, then Minnesota was towards the bottom for pass attempts.

View attachment 29159

View attachment 29160

Conclusion: Stating the stats for only AK can lead to an inaccurate conclusion. If we are comparing teams to teams, then Minnesota was towards the bottom for pass attempts.
We were also only middle of the pack in rushing attempts. It seems our offense didn't have many attempts of either category.

We were also only middle of the pack in rushing attempts. It seems our offense didn't have many attempts of either category.

That's a great point. What was the ratio of pass to run attempts. Now we're getting closer... I don't see that stat readily available. Maybe I'll download it into Excel if the site does that.

Conference rushing attempts.

1703513521385.png

All games rushing attempts:

1703513586882.png

1703513691723.png

Here are the 2019 stats. In the B1G, Minnesota was 10th in pass attempts... and #1 in offensive efficiency. We were second in scoring, third in total yards.

The point: the number of passes thrown is not important. Efficiency is. Will Max Brosmer be more efficient at QB than what we saw in 2023?

That's a great point. What was the ratio of pass to run attempts. Now we're getting closer...
In conference, 66% run, 34% pass.
In my ideal world we are 60/40.
But when your QB can't complete a pass, that's going to change your game plan.

In conference, 66% run, 34% pass.
In my ideal world we are 60/40.
But when your QB can't complete a pass, that's going to change your game plan.

In 2019, we had 560 rushes and 323 passes. 63% rush, 37% pass.

We were second in scoring.

It ain't about the number of passes. It's about efficiency.

In 2019, we had 560 rushes and 323 passes. 63% rush, 37% pass.

We were second in scoring.

It ain't about the number of passes. It's about efficiency.
When your completion % is 15% higher you can get away with it. If I was a betting person, I would bet a large sum of money that Brosmer will have a much higher completion % than AK did. I'm hoping we can get back to closer to 40% passing and combine that with a higher completion % and the offense should be much improved.

For conference games pass/run attempts.

Wisconsin passed 51%.

Minnesota passed 42%

Ohio State passed 47%.

1703521842088.png

So with the new QB maybe Minnesota will go up to 45%. Would be nice if they had one more good pass catcher.

When your completion % is 15% higher you can get away with it. If I was a betting person, I would bet a large sum of money that Brosmer will have a much higher completion % than AK did. I'm hoping we can get back to closer to 40% passing and combine that with a higher completion % and the offense should be much improved.
I think you and Murray are hitting it the nail on the head although with different hammers. It's about accuracy and how that leads to greater efficiency. Fleck is never going to go to the run-and-shoot or Air Raid or anything resembling that. What needs to happen is the passing game needs to improve, which in turn should improve the running game.

It's not just this year. Too many times during Fleck's tenure we have been defeated by teams with lesser personnel (those opponents would argue that point) because they would stack the box and dare the Gophers to pass. This isn't the 1970s with Wishbone and deep I-back formations. The game has tilted toward passing and even if you are a team that is run-oriented, you have to be able to have the defense respect the passing game. Nothing against Kaliakmanis, but teams just aren't going to succeed with a QB with a completion percentage in the low-50% range (unless that QB is also a big-time running threat).

I just think the Fleck and offensive brain wizards are going to have to change some of what they have traditionally done to make the gears mesh better. Maybe it does boil down to Kaliakmanis not performing. Maybe it was the sets and route trees. It could have been a lot of things, but Brosmer's being more accurate would really help.

That's a great point. What was the ratio of pass to run attempts. Now we're getting closer... I don't see that stat readily available. Maybe I'll download it into Excel if the site does that.

Conference rushing attempts.

View attachment 29161

All games rushing attempts:

View attachment 29162

View attachment 29163
When TOP results in first downs you run a lot of plays. When you play play with running clock as an objective, not as many.

Part of that was getting our asses kicked numerous times and a parade of QBs at multiple other schools. He goes way down the list if you combine them. Even Iowa threw the ball more than us. He was 74th in the country in attempts. One would argue that is not a great number of attempts if you’re lower than half the ncaa despite playing almost every snap
His two highest pass attempt games were a win and a blown lead

but my point isn’t we are a passing team. My point is the team doesn’t have to change the offense for Bosmer to get a lot of pass attempts. If he is the starter next year all year he will get Over 300 pass attempts

For conference games pass/run attempts.

Wisconsin passed 51%.

Minnesota passed 42%

Ohio State passed 47%.

View attachment 29164

So with the new QB maybe Minnesota will go up to 45%. Would be nice if they had one more good pass catcher.
I question these stats a lot considering Kaliakmanis has 294 pass attempts

Is that just big ten play or something?

He also had FCS talent around him and a NIL budget of $0

Miami had arguably the most talent in the ACC, going from recruiting ranks and resources
And New Hampshire's opponents have FCS talent and little or no NIL. I am not saying Brosmer might not be a fine addition. It's just that your argument is a little weak.

He also had FCS talent around him and a NIL budget of $0

Miami had arguably the most talent in the ACC, going from recruiting ranks and resources
He was also playing against FCS talent. If he had signed with Wisconsin or Iowa he would be an afterthought.

I question these stats a lot considering Kaliakmanis has 294 pass attempts

Is that just big ten play or something?

Yea, it says conference. That's only Big Ten Games. I prefer to exclude the garbage games in the stats for the teams I'm comparing, and it narrows closer to common opponents. Not perfect but my preference. Basically, no group of stats is perfect.

View attachment 29159

View attachment 29160

Two teams behind MN in pass attempts per game both played in the conference championship, yet everyone here is bitching about not enough passing attempts. It's about the quality of the pass, not the number.

Easy light completed toss to the TE in there ....

I hope one day I get over that game...
It was refreshing to see Kramer hit those short passes with touch. Too bad Kramer couldn't throw very well beyond 15 yards.

It was refreshing to see Kramer hit those short passes with touch. Too bad Kramer couldn't throw very well beyond 15 yards.
I don't know what would happen long term... but I kinda think sometimes stretching the field is a little overrated, if you're not good at most everything else.

Granted it was one game, vs BG, bowl game ... NOT a good test. But I enjoyed seeing "touch" passes completed, and in a way that allowed the WR to run a little too.

I don't know what would happen long term... but I kinda think sometimes stretching the field is a little overrated, if you're not good at most everything else.

Granted it was one game, vs BG, bowl game ... NOT a good test. But I enjoyed seeing "touch" passes completed, and in a way that allowed the WR to run a little too.
I do think the threat of stretching the field is important...but with AK's poor accuracy I don't know if teams were that concerned about it with him either. Hopefully Mythical Max can bring that threat back.

Top Bottom