Gophers QB job up for grabs

I don't think Brewster could possibly just hand the job to Weber after this past season he's had. Given MarQueis will have another offseason under his belt, along with Alipate, I think he has to at least give those guys an opportunity to win the job, it's only fair.

Quite honestly, there really isn't any reason for Weber to be assured of anything heading into next season. He hasn't done much to inspire confidence in anyone who has watched him play for the past year and while Gray may be less polished, he is definitely the better athlete. Should be interesting to see what happens.

weber needs to get back to the basics. he has to stop throwing off his back foot and making stupid mistakes

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 ended up being the starter next year. Weber is a competitor and will learn from his mental mistakes. My concern with him is his poor footwork and he needs to calm down a little in the pocket. Gray is undoubtedly a great athlete. There have been concerns over his learning curve and accuracy. Alipate may be the best suited for a pro style offense. He is reportedly smart and has a strong, accurate arm. The only knock I've heard is that he may be a little slow, but others have said he's fast enough to play.

If Brewster doesn't try to recruit Mark Alt to play QB for the Gophers, I will lose any faith that I have left in him. I think there is a good chance that he would win a QB competition next fall against Weber, Gray, and Alipate. Alt has a stronger arm and is a more accurate passer than Weber is right now. He also moves around in the pocket much better than Weber. He could be the Gopher's QB of the future. If only Brewster would recognize it. I know Alt has committed to play hockey at the U, but he has huge potential as QB. Stoops is seriously considering offering him a scholarship to play for Oklahoma. Alt needs to give changing sports serious consideration.

WA~

I have no insider information, but just from watching Moses play basketball, i'd assume he is about as fast as Weber, if not a bit quicker.

FAN-TAS-TIC-NEWS. This was my one major problem with Brewster's performance this year- his ridiculous, unyielding loyalty to Weber despite some of the most horrific play I have ever seen.

If Brewster doesn't try to recruit Mark Alt to play QB for the Gophers, I will lose any faith that I have left in him. I think there is a good chance that he would win a QB competition next fall against Weber, Gray, and Alipate. Alt has a stronger arm and is a more accurate passer than Weber is right now. He also moves around in the pocket much better than Weber. He could be the Gopher's QB of the future. If only Brewster would recognize it. I know Alt has committed to play hockey at the U, but he has huge potential as QB. Stoops is seriously considering offering him a scholarship to play for Oklahoma. Alt needs to give changing sports serious consideration.

There is no way Brew will recruit against Lucia and Alt's easiest way to becoming a pro athlete is hockey hands down. If his goal is to be a pro athlete than he shouldn't change to football but if his love for football overrides this then by all means go for it. Also, Brew pretty much said that he recruits one top QB a year and Parish seems to be it (Pride will get his shot but he likely changes positions).

We need someone to make plays on offense, so I believe Gray is the best choice.

I think this was always the intention. Aclimate Gray asap, and open up competition in the Spring. No real news except by those who couldn't accept the situation this year and couldn't see it. I fully expect Weber to open the 2010 season behind center. Finishing it??

I am a Cretin guy, and I have seen Alt play a ton and he is a very good QB, however, he would have absolutely zero chance of beating out any of those three QBs. I would like for him to be part of the Gopher football team, I think eventually he could make a very nice QB. However, his best sport is by far hockey, and that is where is future lies.

If Alt ended up coming to the U (don't even need to offer him a scholly, he has the hockey scholorship already), he would be redshirted and could eventually compete with Parish/Alipate as a starter in a couple years. He is flat out not the caliber of football player to walk into college next season and be a starting QB.

I believe he would have to be offered a football scholarship to play football for the U. The NCAA doesn't allow you to use a scholarship from a "lesser" (read: lower revenue producing) sport and play a higher profile sport.

This is how college football works. If a guy is extremely talented, or a team lacks depth there might not be much competition.

But every starting position should be an open competition when Spring rolls a round. And the competition shouldn't end until a couple weeks before Week 1.

I don't see why it can't be open for the bowl game, considering 15 practices now, and 15 in spring. What's the difference? Give Gray 30 practices thru spring at QB, instead of 15 QB and 15 WR???

hyaluronic...

I didn't know that. So a member of the hockey team could not walk on and play football? And does football make more money than the hockey program? I only ask because they have their own TV contracts and they probably draw more people (more games).

I am regurgitating what I have heard here in the past. I believe the NCAA has a predetermined order. Football takes precedence over basketball which takes precedence over everything else, and I am not sure how it filters down from there.

Hmmm...I didn't know that. The more I learn about the NCAA the more annoying it is.

I actually expect Alipate to get the job over Gray and Weber. Apparently Gray can't learn the play book.

If the rumors are true regarding Gray not picking up on the play book, I would love to see Alipate get a shot at running the offense. Would it be inconceivable to switch Gray to a pass catching TE? I believe Hageman will be best suited as a dominating DE.:cool:

I actually expect Alipate to get the job over Gray and Weber. Apparently Gray can't learn the play book.

Trust me, they will adjust and tweak the play book to fit Gray if he can't handle all of it. There is no way Gray is not starting QB either sometime next year or for sure after Weber is gone. He is too highly ranked to not be the QB here, Brew will live and die with Gray's ability. Alipate will not start until at least his senior year if at all.

From what we read here earlier this year, he wasn't the only QB who was confused by the playbook.

hyaluronic...

I didn't know that. So a member of the hockey team could not walk on and play football? And does football make more money than the hockey program? I only ask because they have their own TV contracts and they probably draw more people (more games).

Football holds 5x as many people and tickets are much more expensive per game, plus football tv contracts are much larger because they are national. Basketball makes more money than hockey as well. Hockey isnt as big here as some people would like to believe. It is a regional sport, not a national sport.

Adam Weber:

"I believe every position -- especially the quarterback position, should be open [for competition] at all times," Weber said. "If you have a starter who, in practice and in games, is not producing, not helping the team win, you have to look at all your options. Every day, every meeting, every position has to bring it."

How could anyone not like this guy?

"I believe every position -- especially the quarterback position, should be open [for competition] at all times," Weber said. "If you have a starter who, in practice and in games, is not producing, not helping the team win, you have to look at all your options. Every day, every meeting, every position has to bring it."

The kid is everything a Gopher football player should aspire to be, save the poor performances he's had recently. He had a quote similar to this before summer camp too. A stand up guy.

I like him a lot. I think he's a great guy. I want my son to be just like him. If I had a daughter, I'd want her to marry him.

I just don't want him anywhere near the football for my team.

Trust me, they will adjust and tweak the play book to fit Gray if he can't handle all of it. There is no way Gray is not starting QB either sometime next year or for sure after Weber is gone. He is too highly ranked to not be the QB here, Brew will live and die with Gray's ability. Alipate will not start until at least his senior year if at all.

Consider this scenario, not saying it's going to happen. But given other teams who's QB's have ended up as recievers (NW and IA) lately I can't discount it. Let's say Gray turns out to be a great reciever, and let's assume his skill set was compormised by the switch from the spread, and let's say that Alipate's skill set was elevated by the switch. Perhaps we have a situation where the total team strength is best with Gray as a reciever. It may be that our best athlete is not our best QB, and it may be that our best QB is not Gray and still is a top pro style recruit. There are some awfully good athletes that play reciever.

The knock on Alipate wasn't that he wasn't good, it's that he didn't seem like a great spread QB and one of our posters disliked him. Just saying, it's not out of the question that Gray becomes a WR.

um..no.

Top Bottom