Gophers pummel BC 6-1

MRJ

Reaction score
Boy, the Gophers started really quickly and basically took BC out of it from the get go. Scored four first period goals and then kind of cruised from there. The Eagles had a couple of good scoring chances (they have too much talent not to), but the Gophers played very well defensively and really didn't allow BC to do much. Good to see Jake Bischoff get his first goal as a Gopher in the third period. Also got goals from Brady, Brodzinski, Mike Reilly, Seth Ambroz and Nate Condon. Very nice way to head into a tough weekend coming up against the Fighting Irish in a couple of weeks...:clap:

Fantastic game today and for the second straight game we came out just on fire, this time we sustained it!

Very happy with our play this weekend. We'll hit some tough times throughout the season with it being such a long season, but we're playing at a very high level right now.

Go Gophers!!

By the transitive property of hockey, this win means that we should beat Wisconsin by a margin of 27-1.

BC has been very competitive in recent years, but how were they supposed to look this year?

I loved every score, but how sieve-y was BC's goalie?

BC has been very competitive in recent years, but how were they supposed to look this year?

BC's Goalie, Brian Billett, didn't come across as anything real special over the weekend, but he didn't have much of a chance on yesterday's goals. Some great sniping by the Gophers on some, and on either the 5th or 6th goal, it was basically looked like Billett made the initial save, and then was surrounded by Gophers poking and prodding until they got the puck loose, and then Bischoff floated in and put in the rebound. BC should have had players in there tying up the Gophers.

And BC is one of those programs that is going to be competitive every year, dominant in others. Overall, I have not seen enough of them to know how good they are going to be, but they do have some real good players, and they are very well coached. Johnny Gaudreau might win the Hobey Baker. He's one of those guys you hate to play against, because he's slippery, and so skilled. If you've ever watched a professional team like the Detroit Red Wings play, they get away with a lot of subtle interference. They do a lot of little hooks, holds and trips, and they get away with it. They are also very good at embellishing when they get the chance. They don't overdue any of it, but it's very affective. And while this style of play is really frustrating to an opponent and their fans, there is a small part of me that wishes my team was more like that, if that makes any sense?

most of the goals were sniped and not at all his fault

BC's Goalie, Brian Billett, didn't come across as anything real special over the weekend, but he didn't have much of a chance on yesterday's goals. Some great sniping by the Gophers on some, and on either the 5th or 6th goal, it was basically looked like Billett made the initial save, and then was surrounded by Gophers poking and prodding until they got the puck loose, and then Bischoff floated in and put in the rebound. BC should have had players in there tying up the Gophers.

And BC is one of those programs that is going to be competitive every year, dominant in others. Overall, I have not seen enough of them to know how good they are going to be, but they do have some real good players, and they are very well coached. Johnny Gaudreau might win the Hobey Baker. He's one of those guys you hate to play against, because he's slippery, and so skilled. If you've ever watched a professional team like the Detroit Red Wings play, they get away with a lot of subtle interference. They do a lot of little hooks, holds and trips, and they get away with it. They are also very good at embellishing when they get the chance. They don't overdue any of it, but it's very affective. And while this style of play is really frustrating to an opponent and their fans, there is a small part of me that wishes my team was more like that, if that makes any sense?

I'm ok with guys testing the ref to see what they can get away with as far as the subtle interference. They are judgment calls, and I don't have any problem with a team testing the limits of a given ref's subjective standards. However, I would never want to see my boys embellishing to draw a penalty. In my opinion, that is flat-out cheating, same as if they were shooting up on the PEDs. Love that we thumped BC in game two. This should help us out with the comparisons against the Hockey East schools in the PWR when we get closer to tourney time.

if you watch at any level, the best teams know how to do this and get away with it. i played warroad many times in hs, and they do so many subtle things (picks, slashes, hooks) that happen so quickly that really alter your play, but are rarely ever called unless they are blatant. its part of that playing to the very edge of what's a penalty. anything to get the upper hand. and yes it is damn frustrating

if you watch at any level, the best teams know how to do this and get away with it. i played warroad many times in hs, and they do so many subtle things (picks, slashes, hooks) that happen so quickly that really alter your play, but are rarely ever called unless they are blatant. its part of that playing to the very edge of what's a penalty. anything to get the upper hand. and yes it is damn frustrating

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I would never encourage it, but it's very effective from what I've seen. I would love to be a fly on the wall at one of these teams practices, to see how it's taught, and approached by the coaches.

Top Bottom