Gophers plan to use three-back rotation

betterdeadthanred

Random poster
Reaction score
Gophers plan to use three-back rotation
By Marcus R. Fuller
Pioneer Press
Updated: 08/21/2010 05:11:56 PM CDT

For the second straight year, Minnesota coach Tim Brewster plans to use a three-back rotation going into the opener.

After running the ball 45 times in Saturday's Fan Fest open scrimmage at TCF Bank Stadium, the Gophers established juniors Duane Bennett and DeLeon Eskridge and freshman Donnell Kirkwood as their ball carriers.

Brewster said nobody has "totally stepped away" from the competition right now.

"We haven't had that," he said. "But we've been pleased with all three backs. I feel really good about going into the first game that we have three guys we can give the ball to."

Kirkwood, a 5-foot-9, 200-pound Florida native, was the workhorse Saturday with about 20 carries. He was stuffed a few times to start the scrimmage. But using a variety of spin moves, lateral shakes and cuts, No. 20 powered his way to several solid gains throughout the day.

"He's a downhill heavy, physical runner (who) breaks tackles," Brewster said about Kirkwood, a Delray Beach Atlantic High School standout. "His stature at 5-9 or 5-10 I think is a benefit to him. He's about as wide as he is tall. He hits a hole and he's a load in there."

Bennett had the top two run highlights, both against former running back Shady Salamon, now a junior reserve safety.

On one play, Bennett had Salamon right in front of him after getting to the second level of the defense, but he made him miss with a quick fake before cutting up the field for a 15-yard gain. The next time Salamon

Advertisement
and Bennett met was at the goal line. Bennett lowered his shoulder and ran over Salamon to get into the end zone for a 3-yard touchdown.
Eskridge, who had a 1-yard touchdown run Saturday, started the scrimmage with a 7-yard run. But Bennett said it didn't matter who is No. 1 on the depth chart going into the season opener Sept. 2 at Middle Tennessee State.

"At this point, we're not really worried who is deemed the starter," Bennett said. "We're worried about how we can help the team in every aspect. Whether it's me, Kirkwood or Eskridge, we're going to try to produce as much as we can to lead the team to victory. I think our different styles will cause headaches for defensive coordinators."

Running the ball is more of an emphasis than last year under first-year offensive coordinator Jeff Horton. But it can't be done effectively without improved blocking up front and the threat of a passing attack. The starting offensive line protected well and created some running lanes Saturday. Starting quarterback Adam Weber was also very accurate in limited action, which included throwing a 36-yard touchdown to receiver Da'Jon McKnight.

Gray's day

Backup quarterback MarQueis Gray threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to Troy Stoudermire. But Gray also showed how he could help the team in other areas. The 6-5 sophomore used a stiff arm to gain 12 yards after catching a pass from Weber. He also received a pitch in the backfield and ran for a first down near the sideline.

"He understands exactly what we want route running," Brewster said. "He's just a natural. He catches the ball extremely well, and as you can see after the catch his force is significant."

Hard-hitting reserve

Junior cornerback Johnny Johnson was a special teams player last year, but he was in the mix on several highlight plays on defense Saturday.

The 5-9, 200-pound Chicago native had three head-jarring hits, which included nailing Kirkwood twice to help the defense make a stand. Johnson got beat deep on Weber's long touchdown pass, but was overmatched by McKnight's 6-3 frame.

"He made a great catch; it was a great thrown ball but I was in position," Johnson said. "Me being undersized I have to bring it."

Briefly: Starting junior defensive tackle Brandon Kirksey (ankle), sophomore linebacker Spencer Reeves (hamstring), junior tight end Tiree Eure (turf toe), junior center Ryan Wynn (back), sophomore defensive end Leston Simpson (ankle) and senior safety Kim Royston (leg) missed the scrimmage. But Brewster said only Royston was a concern for the opener. Redshirt freshman defensive end Ra'Shede Hageman, who is recovering from an ankle injury, recorded a sack Saturday.

Top Bottom