Gophers Picked to be 4th in Big Ten West

Pretty much the general consensus although a small number of media sources are picking them third. Until the Gophers manage to beat Iowa and Wisconsin more often than once in a blue moon, I can't see any media sources picking them higher than third in the division.

Behind Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin.

Not really that surprising, B1G West has a lot of good teams.

Although I think Northwestern lost a lot of guys didn't they? Nobody seems to be thinking about that (unless I'm wrong and they didn't lose many guys).

per Johnson:

Here are the results of the Cleveland.com poll:

Big Ten West

1. Wisconsin (29 first-place votes) 233 points

2. Iowa (5) 202

3. Northwestern 160

4. Gophers 146

5. Nebraska 91.5

6. Purdue 72.5

7. Illinois 47

Big Ten East

1. Ohio State (34 first-place votes) 238

2. Penn State 192

3. Indiana 169

4. Michigan 144

5. Maryland 79

6. Rutgers 77.5

7. Michigan State 52.5

Big Ten Championship Game

Ohio State over Wisconsin (29)

Ohio State over Iowa (5)

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year

1. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State (11 first-place votes) 58 points

2. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Indiana (8) 44.5

3. Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Gophers (4) 36

4. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa (1) 13

5. Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State (1) 12

6. David Bell, WR, Purdue (1) 10

7 (tie). C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State (2) 6

7 (tie). Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (1) 6

7 (tie). Graham Mertz, QB, Wisconsin (1) 6

10. Tyler Goodson, RB, Iowa (1) 5

11. Ty Fryfogle, WR, Indiana (1) 4

12. Tanner Morgan, QB, Gophers (1) 3.5

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year

1. Brandon Joseph, S, Northwestern (11 first-place votes) 49 points

2. George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue (8) 33

3. Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State (5) 30.5

4. Micah McFadden, LB, Indiana (6) 28

5. Olakunle Fatukasi, LB, Rutgers (3) 18

6. Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan 11

7 (tie). Jack Sanborn, LB, Wisconsin 7

7 (tie). Tiawan Mullen, CB, Indiana (1) 7

9. Zach Harrison, DE, Ohio State 3.5

10 (tie). Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State 3

10 (tie). Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State 3

12 (tie). Boye Mafe, DE, Gophers 2

12 (tie). Chris Bergin, LB, Northwestern 2

12 (tie). Cam Taylor-Britt, CB, Nebraska 2

12 (tie). Jake Hansen, LB, Illinois 2

16 (tie). JoJo Domann, S/LB, Nebraska 1

16 (tie). Tyshon Fogg, LB, Rutgers 1

16 (tie). Owen Carney, LB, Illinois 1

Go Gophers!!

Those projections look about right.

I do think G Mertz may be the most overrated football player in the history of the big ten. On the strength of one game where Illinois literally didn’t attempt to cover tight ends.

eliminate Illinois game and this is his stat line last year

98/172 (57%)
990 yards (165 per game)
4 touchdowns
5 interceptions
3-3 record

He has some upside but anyone calling him a potential player of the year in the big ten (1 person) May as well name Adrian martinez or Spenser petras as they both have had seasons better than Mertz’ 2020

The West is going to be a tossup most years as there are a bunch of teams that are all good and have a shot to win it. I would bet if you drilled down deeper into these picks there would be very little separation between the teams.

The West is going to be a tossup most years as there are a bunch of teams that are all good and have a shot to win it. I would bet if you drilled down deeper into these picks there would be very little separation between the teams.
I mean Illinois is clearly at the bottom and will be bottom 2-3 for the next 3-5
Wisconsin is never going to finish lower than 5th in the next 3-5 years.

other than that, any team could really finish anywhere 1-7. Even Purdue could make a run. Even Iowa could finish last.

somebody actually voted for a Center as the pre-season Offensive Player of the Year?

A Center?

He must be the greatest freakin' Center in the history of the Universe.
Not only did he get 1 first place vote but he also got some other votes as well since he ended up with 13 total points. Don't know how the scoring was setup but Morgan also got 1 first place vote and only ended up with 3.5 points total.

I could see a dominant tackle maybe getting some votes but has to be super rare for an interior lineman to finish that high in the predictions.

4th would effing suck.

Can't blame many, though. Iowa and Wisconsin usually beat us.

I’d like to think about winning the West, but if we can’t get by the Badgers and Iowa, 3rd place is a realistic top point. Get by one of the two, then second place is a good top point. Winning the West and beating both of these two arch nemeses go hand in hand. Because of recent history, the bad guys go into these games brimming with confidence. We go in fired up but, probably, with a nagging fear of somehow failing yet again. I suspect that our inability to win against these two teams goes beyond talent and even luck; it must be psychological as well at this point. PJ and the leaders of the team have to get the whole team solidly past the mental block part. We have sufficient talent; the opportunity is there this year.

Iowa loses Golston, Nixon and Heflin...three starters off d-line...to NFL
Iowa loses three olinemen: Banwart, Cronk, Alaric Jackson to NFL...OL Fenske to Colorado and OL Kallenberger passed on another year
two good WRs, SmithMarsette and Smith gone to NFL...another transfers to NE
te Beyer leaves to NFL
rb Sargent to NFL
lb Niemann was drafted, lb Wade free agent, another lb, Colbert, called it quits
db Brents to KSU
the really good kicker Duncan is done

13 NFL quality players plus three decent transfers is tough to replace

the legendary strength coach is gone due to the racism...lawsuit still hanging over entire program

good oline coach left for an OC job; good rb coach got an NFL job; no Goph coaches left

Iowa recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 39, 41, 35, 24
Minn recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 38, 45, 38, 38 (in 2021, one year we lagged way behind, we brought in seven high end transfers)

no Minnesota team has ever lost to Iowa seven straight years...

Gophs almost had them beat in Iowa City in 2015 (40-35) when they were top 5, almost beat them in Iowa City in 2017 (17-10) and again in 2019 at Kinnick (23-19); will beat them there in 2021

Although I think Northwestern lost a lot of guys didn't they? Nobody seems to be thinking about that (unless I'm wrong and they didn't lose many guys).
JUST TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS, A FIFTH ROUND PICK, AND EIGHT FREE AGENTS. PLUS TRANSFERS TO Auburn, Arizona, UCF, GaTech and Temple. PLUS THEIR LONG TIME HIGHLY REGARDED DEFENSIVE COORDINATO AND AthDir:

First round picks Rashawn Slater and Greg Newsome only had to wait a few hours to hear their names called in Cleveland, and Earnest Brown IV had to wait until Saturday, as the defensive lineman was selected in the fifth round by the Los Angeles Rams. However, not all of the former Wildcats were lucky enough to receive the call last weekend. Although they did not get selected, eight Northwestern alumni thus far have been signed post-draft and will still have the chance to battle for a roster spot this fall as undrafted free agents.

Paddy Fisher: LB, Carolina Panthers

One of the NU players that was widely predicted to be drafted, the three-year captain surprisingly didn’t hear his name called, and now heads to Carolina.

Blake Gallagher: LB, Baltimore Ravens Northwestern’s team leader in total tackles could find himself on the active roster in September via strong special teams play, but will probably not play linebacker soon.​

Riley Lees: WR, Cincinnati Bengals

Lees saw his yardage and reception numbers both cut in half last season, but his speed and special teams ability drew the interest of the Bengals.

JR Pace: DB, Atlanta Falcons

The senior defensive back is headed back to his hometown team as a UDFA, where he’ll compete for a roster spot among a very young cornerback group.

John Raine: TE, Atlanta Falcons

Raine joins the aforementioned Pace in Atlanta, where he has a decent shot at get a chance to carve out a role on special teams or goal-line scenarios.

Peyton Ramsey: QB, Carolina Panthers

The ‘Cats former QB1 faces an uphill battle to land on the Panthers’ roster at the most important position. Carolina traded for the Jets’ Sam Darnold a month ago

Gunnar Vogel: OL, Chicago Bears

Lastly comes Gunnar Vogel, who will travel only a 15 mile trip down to his new home at Soldier Field.

[UPDATE] Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman: WR, Indianapolis Colts

After a couple of days’ worth of tweets were sent by Northwestern faifthful arguing in favor of the team’s top receiver from the 2020 season, RCB has finally been given a shot by an NFL team, earring a minicamp tryout with the Indianapolis Colts today on May 5, 2021.

Last edited:

Pretty much the general consensus although a small number of media sources are picking them third. Until the Gophers manage to beat Iowa and Wisconsin more often than once in a blue moon, I can't see any media sources picking them higher than third in the division.
Honestly, I'd take once in a blue moon...

per Johnson:

Here are the results of the Cleveland.com poll:

Big Ten West

1. Wisconsin (29 first-place votes) 233 points

2. Iowa (5) 202

3. Northwestern 160

4. Gophers 146

5. Nebraska 91.5

6. Purdue 72.5

7. Illinois 47

Big Ten East

1. Ohio State (34 first-place votes) 238

2. Penn State 192

3. Indiana 169

4. Michigan 144

5. Maryland 79

6. Rutgers 77.5

7. Michigan State 52.5

Big Ten Championship Game

Ohio State over Wisconsin (29)

Ohio State over Iowa (5)

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year

1. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State (11 first-place votes) 58 points

2. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Indiana (8) 44.5

3. Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Gophers (4) 36

4. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa (1) 13

5. Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State (1) 12

6. David Bell, WR, Purdue (1) 10

7 (tie). C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State (2) 6

7 (tie). Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (1) 6

7 (tie). Graham Mertz, QB, Wisconsin (1) 6

10. Tyler Goodson, RB, Iowa (1) 5

11. Ty Fryfogle, WR, Indiana (1) 4

12. Tanner Morgan, QB, Gophers (1) 3.5

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year

1. Brandon Joseph, S, Northwestern (11 first-place votes) 49 points

2. George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue (8) 33

3. Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State (5) 30.5

4. Micah McFadden, LB, Indiana (6) 28

5. Olakunle Fatukasi, LB, Rutgers (3) 18

6. Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan 11

7 (tie). Jack Sanborn, LB, Wisconsin 7

7 (tie). Tiawan Mullen, CB, Indiana (1) 7

9. Zach Harrison, DE, Ohio State 3.5

10 (tie). Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State 3

10 (tie). Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State 3

12 (tie). Boye Mafe, DE, Gophers 2

12 (tie). Chris Bergin, LB, Northwestern 2

12 (tie). Cam Taylor-Britt, CB, Nebraska 2

12 (tie). Jake Hansen, LB, Illinois 2

16 (tie). JoJo Domann, S/LB, Nebraska 1

16 (tie). Tyshon Fogg, LB, Rutgers 1

16 (tie). Owen Carney, LB, Illinois 1

Go Gophers!!
Michican't 4th in the East and 1 picked on the list? I hope they are going the way of Nerdbraska. I know these are only preseason and mean next to nothing, but the perception is there.

Behind Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin.

Not really that surprising, B1G West has a lot of good teams.

If you look at the vote totals, there isn't much daylight between the totals of the Northwestern and Minnesota votes. There are much bigger differences between the #2 Iowa and #3 Northwestern totals and an even bigger difference between the #4 Gopher total and #5 Nebraska total. It's at least comforting to know that the poll participants are estimating Minnesota to be better than Nebraska by a pretty wide margin. That's a development that took some time in the making.

If you look at the vote totals, there isn't much daylight between the totals of the Northwestern and Minnesota votes. There are much bigger differences between the #2 Iowa and #3 Northwestern totals and an even bigger difference between the #4 Gopher total and #5 Nebraska total. It's at least comforting to know that the poll participants are estimating Minnesota to be better than Nebraska by a pretty wide margin. That's a development that took some time in the making.
Hopefully will mean the day trip I'm planning for the Wildcats game will be exciting...for a while...before Gophs pull away.

JUST TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS, A FIFTH ROUND PICK, AND EIGHT FREE AGENTS. PLUS TRANSFERS TO Auburn, Arizona, UCF, GaTech and Temple. PLUS THEIR LONG TIME HIGHLY REGARDED DEFENSIVE COORDINATO AND AthDir:

First round picks Rashawn Slater and Greg Newsome only had to wait a few hours to hear their names called in Cleveland, and Earnest Brown IV had to wait until Saturday, as the defensive lineman was selected in the fifth round by the Los Angeles Rams. However, not all of the former Wildcats were lucky enough to receive the call last weekend. Although they did not get selected, eight Northwestern alumni thus far have been signed post-draft and will still have the chance to battle for a roster spot this fall as undrafted free agents.

Paddy Fisher: LB, Carolina Panthers

One of the NU players that was widely predicted to be drafted, the three-year captain surprisingly didn’t hear his name called, and now heads to Carolina.

Blake Gallagher: LB, Baltimore Ravens Northwestern’s team leader in total tackles could find himself on the active roster in September via strong special teams play, but will probably not play linebacker soon.​

Riley Lees: WR, Cincinnati Bengals

Lees saw his yardage and reception numbers both cut in half last season, but his speed and special teams ability drew the interest of the Bengals.

JR Pace: DB, Atlanta Falcons

The senior defensive back is headed back to his hometown team as a UDFA, where he’ll compete for a roster spot among a very young cornerback group.

John Raine: TE, Atlanta Falcons

Raine joins the aforementioned Pace in Atlanta, where he has a decent shot at get a chance to carve out a role on special teams or goal-line scenarios.

Peyton Ramsey: QB, Carolina Panthers

The ‘Cats former QB1 faces an uphill battle to land on the Panthers’ roster at the most important position. Carolina traded for the Jets’ Sam Darnold a month ago

Gunnar Vogel: OL, Chicago Bears

Lastly comes Gunnar Vogel, who will travel only a 15 mile trip down to his new home at Soldier Field.

[UPDATE] Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman: WR, Indianapolis Colts

After a couple of days’ worth of tweets were sent by Northwestern faifthful arguing in favor of the team’s top receiver from the 2020 season, RCB has finally been given a shot by an NFL team, earring a minicamp tryout with the Indianapolis Colts today on May 5, 2021.
TY

Yeah I thought it was a lot.

It was a metric ton actually, damn.

I mean good for them too in the sense that the had those guys.

Yeah I'm ok with being at the bottom of the ... pretty much same vote totals logjam. That means a few plays and you're near the top too.

Iowa loses Golston, Nixon and Heflin...three starters off d-line...to NFL
Iowa loses three olinemen: Banwart, Cronk, Alaric Jackson to NFL...OL Fenske to Colorado and OL Kallenberger passed on another year
two good WRs, SmithMarsette and Smith gone to NFL...another transfers to NE
te Beyer leaves to NFL
rb Sargent to NFL
lb Niemann was drafted, lb Wade free agent, another lb, Colbert, called it quits
db Brents to KSU
the really good kicker Duncan is done

13 NFL quality players plus three decent transfers is tough to replace

the legendary strength coach is gone due to the racism...lawsuit still hanging over entire program

good oline coach left for an OC job; good rb coach got an NFL job; no Goph coaches left

Iowa recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 39, 41, 35, 24
Minn recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 38, 45, 38, 38 (in 2021, one year we lagged way behind, we brought in seven high end transfers)

no Minnesota team has ever lost to Iowa seven straight years...

Gophs almost had them beat in Iowa City in 2015 (40-35) when they were top 5, almost beat them in Iowa City in 2017 (17-10) and again in 2019 at Kinnick (23-19); will beat them there in 2021
There has been a general assumption that all teams are going to be in great shape roster wise due to how things have played out but this is a perfect illustration of how things are going to differ by team. That is a lot of talent to replace. On the flip side we lost very little and brought back a significant amount in terms of guys who had opted out or were injured along with transfers.

Don't get me wrong, the two guys we lost were extremely good players, but I would much rather be in our position than what a lot of teams are dealing with.

somebody actually voted for a Center as the pre-season Offensive Player of the Year?

A Center?

He must be the greatest freakin' Center in the history of the Universe.
Admittedly, I would have voted for Eslinger during his playing days.

There has been a general assumption that all teams are going to be in great shape roster wise due to how things have played out but this is a perfect illustration of how things are going to differ by team. That is a lot of talent to replace. On the flip side we lost very little and brought back a significant amount in terms of guys who had opted out or were injured along with transfers.

Don't get me wrong, the two guys we lost were extremely good players, but I would much rather be in our position than what a lot of teams are dealing with.

100%. We are returning/adding much more than we lost imo.

10 of 11 starters returning on both offense and defense is pretty much unheard of in the Big Ten.

PJ pointed out we have 9 returning starters on just the o-line.

Schlueter, Olson, JMS, Ruschmeyer, Andries all back from last year...PJ said Olson may set all time Gopher record for starts...Faalele and Dunlap back from 2019...Ersery and Boe spot starters...Karter Shaw a three year starter at Utah State

I don’t like Iowa. But, with it history of great defense year to year, and it’s typical OL strength, it is inconceivable that it could finish last in the West.

Top Bottom